Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[23APR18] FSW Closure: We are disappointed, but not surprised...

RIP.?  Nope.  Good riddence.

Edited by Boomer
  • Upvote 2

spacer.png

4 hours ago, mcbellette said:

Robert, was it really necessary to laugh or show the laughing face? It implies arrogance on your part. Can't you simply respect that Thiago has an opinion that you disagree with and leave it at that?

Triggered! 😆

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

This post reminds me of crew rooms.....which is why I avoid them at all costs...

Your boss is always listening in on conversations...

There always other pilots trying to convince others they are right about.....evvveeeryytthhiinnggg...

And then there's that one guy/gal who acts like they have the ONLY secret to a happy life...

Except this post is about flightsims... not that fancy 4 day that no one can ever hold.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

5 hours ago, mcbellette said:

Robert, was it really necessary to laugh or show the laughing face? It implies arrogance on your part. Can't you simply respect that Thiago has an opinion that you disagree with and leave it at that?

Matthew,

Chap, you may need a night out.

Thiago is a long time contributor to this community, and in nearly EVERY exchange he and I have on this topic, he states his belief and I tell him that I disagree.  We always do so with humor, and in today's case, my choice to laugh after stating my disagreement was poking fun at precisely this pattern of discussion.  Failure to laugh at such a thing would come across as arrogant.   

I know people don't like to think I have a sense of humor, Matt- but you've been around here long enough to know that I am almost *constantly* joking around with you guys.

The folks that think my humor is arrogant are thin skinned ninnies.  Don't be one, Matt.  :blink:  <-  look.  No laughing... 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

33 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

This post reminds me of crew rooms.....which is why I avoid them at all costs...

Your boss is always listening in on conversations...

There always other pilots trying to convince others they are right about.....evvveeeryytthhiinnggg...

And then there's that one guy/gal who acts like they have the ONLY secret to a happy life...

Except this post is about flightsims... not that fancy 4 day that no one can ever hold.

Matt,

I just got back from that four day. 

Don't tell anyone.  :laugh:  <- Matt: Friendly laugh.  I promise. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Matt,

Don't tell anyone.  :laugh:  <- Matt: Friendly laugh.  I promise. 

At this rate Robert, your going to have to justify the usage of every emoji :cool:

Edited by jonFezza

11 hours ago, Boomer said:

I am neither disappointed nor surprised, knowing the pedigree of DTG.

The demise of FSW is called Karma, what a horrible and arrogant business model.

Now, DTG, get the Hotel out of our community and stay out!

Well said!

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

I'm sorry to see it go because it looked promising and was an...erm...entertainment alternative to P3D, and 64-bit to boot. But...with a business model like that, it probably deserved to go.

Still nothing to rejoice over, though, one flight sim less = less choice for all and less competition. I'm always baffled by some flight simmers' intolerance for the existence of alternatives.

That said, if the FSW suits were seeking to reduce choice in terms of add-on purchasing options, then maybe they've deservedly choked on their own aspirations, as Lord Vader might say.

On the plus side, I can free up some space on my hard drive now. 

I'm new to flight sim and owe my entry to the FSX:SE sale about two years ago.  I moved to x-plane four months ago, but continue to use FSX from time to time as I can't walk away from a good chunk of cash spent for scenery and aircraft add-ons.  As a retired finance guy, I'm very interested in the marketing side of the sim business and, by extension, the recent DTG announcement.  It seems that the only platform players at the moment are P3D, xplane and FSX.  The future seems to belong to the first two.  Lockheed has limited its potential customer base while xplane's appears wide open - at the very time when many boomers are retiring, may have some leisure cash, and are in search of something other than shoot-em-up games. I don't like to see the FSW departure because I think competition is healthy for the sim community.  I hope the staff all land on their feet.  But the sim business opportunity  appears wide open and prospects look exciting.

• Like 1

Nameless,

Thank you for offering your perspective, and welcome to the hobby.  Just a quick pointer that we do require all users to sign their posts here in this forum.  You can read the few other rules we impose in the thread posted at the header for this forum.

Thanks and again, welcome.

15 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Better than 10 days and a couple laps around the globe. ROFL

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

On 4/24/2018 at 12:18 AM, GCBraun said:

FSX is not in active development, AF2 is still in early access and some say it will have the same fate as FSW, P3D is not available in Steam, nor is it sold for entertainment-only purposes.

Perhaps after FSexpo this outlook may change, but, as of today, I do not see currently an alternative for XP11 in the consumer-entertainment segment of the flight-sim market.

I disagree. Although I like XP11 in some ways over FSX and P3D, it also have other issues. And some announcements from officials regarding future plans, makes me hesitate about the future regarding XP.

1 hour ago, hasse29 said:

I disagree. Although I like XP11 in some ways over FSX and P3D, it also have other issues. And some announcements from officials regarding future plans, makes me hesitate about the future regarding XP.

I am just talking about facts here, not subjective perceptions. I also like P3D, but the fact is that it is not available to a wider audience through the major cumputer-entertainment distribution channel.

For instance, using SteamCharts, you can see that Aerofly FS2 had a 24-hour peak of 50 players, FSW had a peak of 57 active players and XP11 about 800. FSX is still bigger (about 3000), but its usage trend seem to be going down. One should also consider that a significant percentage of the XP users have bought the sim directly through LR or other vendors.  

P3D may have bigger numbers than that, but please note that I mentioned only “entertainment market”.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

43 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

One should also consider that a significant percentage of the XP users have bought the sim directly through LR or other vendors.

One should also consider that a significant percentage of FSX users bought the sim boxed from various outlets. That's not to disprove your point, but something that I think a lot of people leave out when they counter Steam stats with "they don't include direct purchases from LR."

Part of me wants to say that there's statistical significance in Steam sales as a representative sample of the larger audience, but I do hesitate with the idea that I see Steam as a slightly more casual audience...though that may affect both platforms equally, numbers-wise, and therefore not alter the overall proportionality...?

Sorry...just musings from someone who had way too much fun in stat class back at university.

Kyle Rodgers

If the day comes and the only sim I can use is XP ill most likely jack it in.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg