Sign in to follow this  
thenikos

best atc for p3d v4

Apart from Radar Contact everything else out there sounds like... you know what. I keep waiting on some company who will revolutionize the market with a solid product or even attempts to buy the code from Radar Contact's version 5 which was sadly never finished and put away and as I understand they made a significant progress. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

As long as you don't mind having to pick a star, before you even take off. Not my idea of realism. 

It is not true that you have to pick a STAR before your flight with PF3. You can, but you don't have to. It is all about setting up PF3 and the flightplan you load into PF3 in a proper way.

4 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Having no problem with interpreting flight plans or altitudes whatsoever, but I've flown with it in Europe only. In PF3 it's all about proper settings. PF3 is somewhat different in how things are set there from all other ATC programs (an I got all of them), it requires some learning and clear understanding of how your flight is preset. Once you have learnt it you shouldn't have many or say more problems compared to other ATC software. To some reason it is quite fascinating in my opinion. I like the concept and those natural voices of course. Very well supported and mature software.

Dirk.

SID/STAR implementation is the best if you know how to set it up properly. Multiple SIDs/STARs for a runway are available to you, including randomizer if you want.

Well said. PF3 has a learning curve and it will take you some time to set up things when you start - just as with any other new software you use.

But after you understood how PF3 works and after you became accustomed to how to set up your flightplan für PF3 it takes you less than five minutes for each flight. At least given that you do a thorough and realistic flightplanning which includes to get familiar with the available departure and approach procedures for your flight in advance. Anybody with real world airline experience correct me if I'm wrong but that is what real pilots do as part of their flight preparation. PF3 gives you reason to do right that. After you did, setting up PF3 is a trivial matter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

It is not true that you have to pick a STAR before your flight with PF3. You can, but you don't have to. It is all about setting up PF3 and the flightplan you load into PF3 in a proper way.

What kind of crystal ball are you using to determine the weather at the arrival airport when you actually land?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What kind of crystal ball are you using to determine the weather at the arrival airport when you actually land?

I don't understand what you mean. Why should you want to know the weather at your destination beforehand?

On 4/23/2018 at 6:35 PM, thenikos said:

hi, i would like to know if there is an offline (not vasit etc) atc program for p3d v4 that can give you exact directions to land in any airport that doesnt support ils, under low visibility conditions (bad weather, fog etc).

the default atc does it in a way , but not as good as i would like to. 

thanks

As others have said ATC doesn't do directions.  The only ones that do are the LSO's on aircraft carriers. We do have one that "knows" the position of your aircraft on approach and you will hear "too slow, too fast, too high, too low, wave off". But that's for carrier landings in military sims that are guaranteed to put your blood pressure in the red zone!:ohmy:

In Flight Simulator, I have stuck with Radar Contact 4 for years. It works nicely with MCE, on PTT voice and because it's got a user interface, you can use it with Voice Attack or keyboard. It requires a bit of imaginative licence, like you can tell it to ignore your SID/STAR and it just picks you up on final apprich to your runway, either ils/vor/visual. RC4 also sees other aircraft in the pattern and on the ground, which is nice and considering it's years old shows how cutting edge it was at release.

What would be nice is ATC which "knows" the weather is below minimums and gives you a re direct. But with Active Sky 4 you can get that info yourself and make the necessary decisions, pretend that ATC has given you the alternate.

Happy simming!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RALF9636 said:

But after you understood how PF3 works and after you became accustomed to how to set up your flightplan für PF3 it takes you less than five minutes for each flight. At least given that you do a thorough and realistic flightplanning which includes to get familiar with the available departure and approach procedures for your flight in advance. Anybody with real world airline experience correct me if I'm wrong but that is what real pilots do as part of their flight preparation. PF3 gives you reason to do right that. After you did, setting up PF3 is a trivial matter.

Okay, true enough.

But heres one annoyance of mine with PF3.  If I dont put a decent path to the runway or a STAR ahead of time in the flight plan, PF3 gets "stuck" in that it cannot vector me to the FAF of the active runway; PF3 will have me overfolying my destination airport at high altitudes then give me grossly unrealistic and unattainable instructions trying to get me down when its far to late.  RC4 has no such issues and can always give me vectors from TOD to the FAF.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Okay, true enough.

But heres one annoyance of mine with PF3.  If I dont put a decent path to the runway or a STAR ahead of time in the flight plan, PF3 gets "stuck" in that it cannot vector me to the FAF of the active runway; PF3 will have me overfolying my destination airport at high altitudes then give me grossly unrealistic and unattainable instructions trying to get me down when its far to late.  RC4 has no such issues and can always give me vectors from TOD to the FAF.

That’s not true. It will calculate the decent for you, you can, however, alter it if you want to.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

i carefully ready what everybody says and i have 2 news questions:

1. what means vectoring? sorry for my english :( can you give me an example pls?

2. all the above atc programs can work with keyboard ? or some of them accept only vorbal instructions? 

thank you

Nikos Kasimatis

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Okay, true enough.

Again it is all about a proper setup. PF3 will vector you (if set up for vectoring) after the last waypoint of the flightplan loaded into PF3. So make sure your last waypoint is an appropriate starting point for the vectoring (the flightplan loaded into PF3 might be different from the one loaded into your FMC). And set the altitude for that waypoint accordingly if not already done automatically by PF3. Also adjust the altitudes of the preceding waypoints if necessary. Set rather lower than higher altitudes - you can still reduce your descent rate during your actual descent if you want.

And in case you're still too high you can always request a lower altitude.

Edited by RALF9636

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Did you have one when you flew in real life?

So what is your question about, Bob?

I do believe from these posts too many users haven't bother to fully learn and understand how it works.

Really, just takes you 4-5 mins to prepare when you grasp the concept of PF3.

I'm not promoting it, I'm just suggesting to do yourself a favor and try again to fully understand how it works, it is amazing and very versatile ATC software. It becomes very logical and easy when you know and understand all the settings. 

Thanks

Edited by Dirk98

16 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Again it is all about a proper setup. PF3 will vector you (if set up for vectoring) after the last waypoint of the flightplan loaded into PF3. So make sure your last waypoint is an appropriate starting point for the vectoring. And set the altitude for that waypoint accordingly if not already done automatically by PF3. Also adjust the altitudes of the preceding waypoints if necessary. Set rather lower than higher altitudes - you can still reduce your descent rate if you want.

And in case you're still too high you can always request a lower altitude.

It means take 5 minutes to set it up exactly to your needs if you want to fly something special. Otherwise enter and save your routes and procedures once, adjust PF3 to your favorite aicraft and enjoy all those human ATC voices! That's it. 

Use Randomizer, make your flights totally unpredictable and so on.

PS: you've found a hiccup - override! and still fly what you want. Report your finding to the support.

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Did you have one when you flew in real life?

So what is your question about, Bob?

I do believe from these posts too many users haven't bother to fully learn and understand how it works.

Really, just 4-5 mins when you grasp the concept of PF3.

I'm not promoting it, I'm just suggesting to do yourself a favor and try again to fully understand how it works, it is amazing and very versatile ATC software. It becomes very logical and easy when you know and understand all the settings. 

Thanks

Dirk, I flew almost every day for a year with PF3. It is good for GA, not so good for Airliners that are using Sids and Stars all the time without having to twist yourself into a pretzel just trying to set up a flight. For instance, about 2 hours ago I flew a 737 NGX from Montreal to JFK in New York. The time it took me to set that flight up with Pro ATC X was about 2 minutes at most. That included putting in a Flight plan from Simbrief. I took off, and when I got close to New York, PATC gave me a Star for the ILS to 13L, and descended me to intercept the ILS at the proper altitude. I didn't have to worry about the winds changing, changing the runway in use, because if it did, PATC would give me a different runway and possibly approach. Not going to happen with PF3. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Dirk, I flew almost every day for a year with PF3. 

Bob, PF3 is evolving daily, so we may be talking about different versions, with very different functionality.

I started with PFE+pf2000 

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Dirk, I flew almost every day for a year with PF3. It is good for GA, not so good for Airliners that are using Sids and Stars all the time without having to twist yourself into a pretzel just trying to set up a flight. For instance, about 2 hours ago I flew a 737 NGX from Montreal to JFK in New York. The time it took me to set that flight up with Pro ATC X was about 2 minutes at most. That included putting in a Flight plan from Simbrief. I took off, and when I got close to New York, PATC gave me a Star for the ILS to 13L, and descended me to intercept the ILS at the proper altitude. I didn't have to worry about the winds changing, changing the runway in use, because if it did, PATC would give me a different runway and possibly approach. Not going to happen with PF3. 

It is simply not true what you say about PF3. Of course PF3 gives you a runway according to the wind (actually primarily according to the AI traffic). If set up accordingly you can then fly any STAR you choose which is appropriate for that runway. And if you want PF3 to name you a specific STAR for any runway you can also set it up for that. And as Dirk already mentioned the Randomizer App gives you even a lot more options.

Edited by RALF9636

2 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Bob, PF3 is evolving daily, so we may be talking about different versions, with very different functionality.

I started with PFE+pf2000 

I have version 3.7.2   Which one are you using?