Sign in to follow this  
Quijote

Unlocking Waypoints imported from Little NavMap

Hello, 

The first time I imported a flightplan from Little NavMap, it worked fine. So I planned another flight and this time the 750 reported locked waypoints. In this case, I had selected named intersections and a few lat/long user waypòints. The 750 would not activate the plan and offered no way to edit or delete offending waypoints.

In reading other forums, there is apparently a discrepancy between the AIRAC in the Garmin (outdated) and the one in Little NavMap (always up to date from Navigraph).  However, there must be a way to use user waypoints. 

Has anybody found the solution????

Hi, please make sure to open the Garmin GTN 725/750 Pilot's guide, chapter 4.6, for further information about 'locked waypoints'. You'd have to review your flight plan waypoints and replace/remove the offending ones. It is supposed to work with user waypoints, but you might have used a fix or another non-user waypoint which is not present in the DB.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Jean-Luc,

I think I found the problem. My destination airport was in the Little NavMap (Navigraph) database but not in the Garmin database. So it did not show on the 750 map. I flew to it and the physical airport was present in xplane, but not on the 750. That's why the plan was locked. I made a new flightplan that ended at an airport that Garmin recognised and it imported just fine....

I found the Pilots' Guide that you recommend and will read it. So far, the 750 doesn't tell which are the bad waypoints, but after I read the Guide maybe I can figure it out. Thanks for the response.....

You can also position your plane, in your simulator, at the destination Airport. Create a User Waypoint in your GTN750 and name it for that ICAO, and put airport name in the description.  You should be able to use that User waypoint as your flight plan destination in the 750. 

Edited by drmckee

There is another work around also..

In Little Navmap go to Tools/Options/Flightplan. There is an option you can tick that converts all Navaids and Airports to user defined  waypoints. That way you can avoid locked waypoints in the 750.

On 4/24/2018 at 3:31 PM, Quijote said:

Hello, 

The first time I imported a flightplan from Little NavMap, it worked fine. So I planned another flight and this time the 750 reported locked waypoints. In this case, I had selected named intersections and a few lat/long user waypòints. The 750 would not activate the plan and offered no way to edit or delete offending waypoints.

In reading other forums, there is apparently a discrepancy between the AIRAC in the Garmin (outdated) and the one in Little NavMap (always up to date from Navigraph).  However, there must be a way to use user waypoints. 

Has anybody found the solution????

I would be interested in learning what airport and area you were in for this. My experience with the GTN is that it will lock the flight plan if either it finds waypoints not in its database, or if it finds a waypoint that has a duplicate in its database.  Ex. two intersections with the same name, such as one in the USA and another in say Panama.  The GTN will not assume which you intended.  

For an airport in question, load the simulator. Use the sim to position you at the desired airport.  Fire up the GTN and use it to look at it's list of Nearest airports and see what you find.  It may be a changed identifier, or an identifier different from what you are using.

In regard to user waypoints, here is a quote from the document linked below: "Note: If a waypoint to be imported is located within 0.001° (latitude and longitude) of an existing user waypoint in the GTN, the existing waypoint and name will be reused." 

In regard to the discrepancy between AIRAC and Little Navmap, the issue could possibly be that Little NavMap is not 100% compliant when writing the .gfp files.  That is not to fault Little NavMap, just to say there are many nuances in the file spec.

Here is a link that will get you to that Garmin document titled "GTN Flight Plan and User Waypoint transfer.pdf".  It should help you.  It provides full specification on the nuances in creating Garmin .gfp flight plans for import into the GTN series.  The document link is found as an attachment icon at the end of the first message in the topic.

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/garmin-gtn650-user-flight-plan-import-question.231557/#post-2538904

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

This is the same document also included in our GTN flight plan starter pack! Please note I've also provided these details to Little NavMap developer, along with the GNS flight plan format (XSD document) and from the look of the source code on Github, it looked quite well implemented.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 8/5/2018 at 11:42 PM, Tassierob said:

There is another work around also..

In Little Navmap go to Tools/Options/Flightplan. There is an option you can tick that converts all Navaids and Airports to user defined  waypoints. That way you can avoid locked waypoints in the 750.

This isn't working for me.  No idea what the heck to do.  Departure, 2 intermediates, and Destination all show locked.  Beginning to regret having purchased this since it's a PITA just to get a flight plan loaded.

Hi Theo,

have you tried one of the included flight plan files in the 'starter pack' to validate it loads flight plans properly? It might prove easier to progress with custom flight plans once this first step gets validated?

Have encountered the same "Locked Waypoints" in a flight plan. Have read all of the above thread.  What nobody answered was How Do You UNLOCK locked waypoints in the G750.  Most posts seem to blame LNMap but that is not the issue.  As one poster stated the issue is that the AIRAC cycle in LNMap is up to date and the G750 isn't.  So again I ask, how do I unlock the waypoints as the Garmin instructs??