Sign in to follow this  
cleonpack93

ORBX EU Netherlands TrueEarth released

ORBX has released their first TrueEarth photoreal scenery for P3D, EU Netherlands. Anyone purchased it yet? Really interested to hear about performance impact, and how it looks and works in the sim.

I can get a pretty steady 30 frames per second with everything maxed out.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I can get a pretty steady 30 frames per second with everything maxed out.

What is your FPS with and without orbx eu netherland?

4 minutes ago, stook2005 said:

What is your FPS with and without orbx eu netherland?

I'm not sure how to answer that in a valid way, as frame rates are going to vary based on what's being displayed. Netherlands is incredibly dense with autogen at max settings, and I'm not sure there is much out there that's comparable.

FNQCMo.jpg

E4nYta.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

77Gb would take me about a week to download.

David Porrett

36 minutes ago, DavidP said:

77Gb would take me about a week to download.

Yah. Once I realized that photoscenery was about to become the thing, I went for a much faster connection.

Devons rig

Interested also,,,surprised at the low response so far.

Edited by warbirds

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Those pictures look spectacular, but with a download size of 77GB (and I suspect the install size is considerably larger), in order to have scenery of any meaningful coverage area will require a warehouse full of disk space. I mean, cmon...Netherlands at 77GB? A quick Google search yielded: Netherlands is a little less than twice the size of New Jersey - NEW JERSEY...which is a postage stamp compared to the rest of the US.

Land Area: Netherlands = 33833 sq km/77GB; US = 9,160,000 sq km//20,847GB - that's a 21TB download.

Do the math...lol.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but those files sizes almost take your breath away.

And if the cost/sq km is calculated based on $54.95 AUD for the Netherlands scenery, then the US scenery would cost $14,877.25 AUD.

Kind Regards,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Well it would take me at least 20 hours on a good day to download and maybe 5 times that on a bad day plus use up nearly half my monthly download quota in 1 hit.  I guess Orbx has to come up with something new to stay in business but not sure that TrueEarth is it given the bandwidth and storage requirements.  I guess time will tell.

bruceb

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5 minutes ago, somiller said:

And if the cost/sq km is calculated based on $54.95 AUD for the Netherlands scenery, then the US scenery would cost $14,877.25 AUD.

Maybe true, but i've found that people are generally creatures of habit, and tend to fly in certain defined areas in which they have a high interest. Which is to say, nobody is likely to buy the entire Us in Truearth scenery, even if it was feasible to create such a thing currently.

I myself have some states I would love to see, but for the rest of the country (where I wouldn't fly anyway) Orbx reguler stuff would be more than fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

Virtually i happen to be a flying dutchman so you bet i bought it the minute it was released. Download got stuck however. Apparently not a good time, try my luck during the day tomorrow.

But here's the thing: i don't have room anymore for 77+ Gig on my special P3Dv4 SSD. I have a truckload terrabite HD as well. Do any of you know what'll happen if i install this scenery on this HD instead of my P3D dedicated SSD ?... Will i see significant loss of performance ?...

Thanks much for any insight! 

cheers,

jan

Edited by Javiz

Jan

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I myself have some states I would love to see, but for the rest of the country (where I wouldn't fly anyway) Orbx reguler stuff would be more than fine.

What states might those be...hopefully nothing in the western, or southwestern US...California, maybe, as most of those states are many multiples the size of the Netherlands...okay, so only $2000-$5000 AUD.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

20 minutes ago, Javiz said:

Virtually i happen to be a flying dutchman so you bet i bought it the minute it was released. Download got stuck however. Apparently not a good time, try my luck during the day tomorrow.

But here's the thing: i don't have room anymore for 77+ Gig on my special P3Dv4 SSD. I have a truckload terrabite HD as well. Do any of you know what'll happen if i install this scenery on this HD instead of my P3D dedicated SSD ?... Will i see significant loss of performance ?...

Thanks much for any insight! 

cheers,

jan

It's sitting happily on my 6 terabyte flight Sim hard drive, and I'm not seeing any issues.

Devons rig

23 minutes ago, somiller said:

What states might those be...hopefully nothing in the western, or southwestern US...California, maybe, as most of those states are many multiples the size of the Netherlands...okay, so only $2000-$5000 AUD.

Probably northern and southern California, perhaps Colorado and Nevada, maybe the Pacific Northwest just-for-laughs.

I might also like specific areas of the Northeast like New York New Jersey Connecticut....

So far, at current prices that's just a couple of hundred bucks.

I've already spent more than that on regular Orbx stuff.

And God knows, I already have seemingly half the US in Photo Scenery for X-plane. (though that was all free)

Plus add in a few more states I have for Aerofly........

Devons rig

2 hours ago, somiller said:

Those pictures look spectacular, but with a download size of 77GB (and I suspect the install size is considerably larger), in order to have scenery of any meaningful coverage area will require a warehouse full of disk space. I mean, cmon...Netherlands at 77GB? A quick Google search yielded: Netherlands is a little less than twice the size of New Jersey - NEW JERSEY...which is a postage stamp compared to the rest of the US.

Land Area: Netherlands = 33833 sq km/77GB; US = 9,160,000 sq km//20,847GB - that's a 21TB download.

Do the math...lol.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but those files sizes almost take your breath away.

Kind Regards,