Sign in to follow this  
cleonpack93

ORBX EU Netherlands TrueEarth released

31 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Gonna try it out on a regular HDD first. Are we allowed to install to a different directory/HDD btw only for Photoreal ?

You can create windows symbolic link and move the directory wherever you like.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, J van E said:

That's progress. Do you want better scenery or not? What else did you expect with photoreal scenery? I don't understand the complaining about the size and the downloads and the prices.

I suggest you keep your hat on, and your keyboard in it's holster. If you cared to read what I wrote and comprehend it, I was merely stating that my internet connection is so poor that it would be almost impossible for me to download it - I'm very happy for those lucky enough to be able to download something like this in a few hours. Nothing I said was critical of the product, nor the price. Once I DO get an internet connection capable of downloading something like this by the end of the year, I probably might get it. OK?

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

David Porrett

OK, the 78Gb download, about the same amount of disk space needed when installed and in game performance is already discussed but what about the sim loading time?  With the NL2000 Netherlands photo scenery (which includes annotated autogen) I experienced a massive increase in loading time, even when installed on a Samsung 960 Evo PCI-E 2.0 SSD.

Edited by hschuit

As far as I am concerned, this TrueEarth project is the holy grail of flight simulation. I have wanted to be able to fly over a photorealistic landscape filled with believable (ie. not like default) autogen buildings and trees, and lots of bespoke models of major landmarks for a long time. Since I fly exclusively around the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands at the moment, TrueEarth is perfect for me. The download times will be excessive, but I don't care. I need scenery like this for my future flight simulation enjoyment, and therefore I will do what is necessary to accommodate it!

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Well it would take me at least 20 hours on a good day to download and maybe 5 times that on a bad day plus use up nearly half my monthly download quota in 1 hit.  I guess Orbx has to come up with something new to stay in business but not sure that TrueEarth is it given the bandwidth and storage requirements.  I guess time will tell.

bruceb

Sorry Bruce, gotta ask; which part of the world still works with a quotum on (non-mobile) data transfer? I think I got rid of that 15 years ago if not longer. I can understand not everyone yet has a 100MBit connection, but monthly limitations on datatransfer??? I don't think OrbX' business will depend on those considerations.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

5 minutes ago, fwerff said:

Sorry Bruce, gotta ask; which part of the world still works with a quotum on (non-mobile) data transfer? I think I got rid of that 15 years ago if not longer. I can understand not everyone yet has a 100MBit connection, but monthly limitations on datatransfer??? I don't think OrbX' business will depend on those considerations.

I'm not sure where you are, but in the US, the providers have been slowly and often stealthily slipping in restrictions for years. The word unlimited with regard to plans is nearly extinct, or if it is used, there are nasty things in the fine print..

My own connection is locked to 2TB per month with a sharp price increase if that's ever exceeded.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Its odd. I live in Thailand a developing country with fast internet and UNLIMITED GB and all for the silly price of $20/month

ZORAN

31 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm not sure where you are, but in the US, the providers have been slowly and often stealthily slipping in restrictions for years. The word unlimited with regard to plans is nearly extinct, or if it is used, there are nasty things in the fine print..

My own connection is locked to 2TB per month with a sharp price increase if that's ever exceeded.

Europe. The Netherlands to be precise (so I couldn't be happier with this release :-)).

Very bad thing what you're stating about the US providers. Didn't know that and to be frank it surprises me, since I thought we in Europe were behind the US on our fast and unlimited internet access. Also I don't understand the reasoning behind it. In the past, the infrastructure lacked and because of that, the providers had grounds for high prices and limitations. Now with glass fibre and next gen techniques for copper, infrastructure is no longer the limiting factor.

Don't want to turn this into something political, but maybe a certain person in Washington should focus on US internal developments like this rather than invoking global trade wars....

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

It really looks stunning ....

Took a while to download and install but it looks so realistic .

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, DavidP said:

I suggest you keep your hat on, and your keyboard in it's holster. If you cared to read what I wrote and comprehend it, I was merely stating that my internet connection is so poor that it would be almost impossible for me to download it - I'm very happy for those lucky enough to be able to download something like this in a few hours. Nothing I said was critical of the product, nor the price. Once I DO get an internet connection capable of downloading something like this by the end of the year, I probably might get it. OK?

OK! 

At first I only quoted the other person but I added your post because I also read complaints about the size (elsewhere) so I also wanted to react to that. I didn't really know if your post was a complaint or, as it turns out to be, just stating a fact, so sorry for dragging you into this. :happy: Obviously I do feel sorry for all those people who don't have a fast internet connection (for whatever reason).

57 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It really looks stunning ....

Took a while to download and install but it looks so realistic .

Yes amazing stuff and performance is great here local ;-)

André

1 hour ago, fwerff said:

Very bad thing what you're stating about the US providers. Didn't know that and to be frank it surprises me, since I thought we in Europe were behind the US on our fast and unlimited internet access. Also I don't understand the reasoning behind it. In the past, the infrastructure lacked and because of that, the providers had grounds for high prices and limitations. Now with glass fibre and next gen techniques for copper, infrastructure is no longer the limiting factor.

Our politicians, particularly of a certain stripe, tend to be very proud of being "business friendly" which as I've gotten older and more cynical, I now tend to translate into "The industry lobbyists and their heavy checkbooks own us"

I believe other countries tend to be a lot more consumer friendly.

The US brags loudly about lots of stuff, but in truth we've just barely squeaked in last of the top 10 in internet speeds. 

Asian and Scandinavian countries are in the lead, with South Korea the fastest worldwide....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, J van E said:

OK! 

At first I only quoted the other person but I added your post because I also read complaints about the size (elsewhere) so I also wanted to react to that. I didn't really know if your post was a complaint or, as it turns out to be, just stating a fact, so sorry for dragging you into this. :happy: Obviously I do feel sorry for all those people who don't have a fast internet connection (for whatever reason).

No problems :biggrin:

David Porrett

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

as I've gotten older and more cynical

Don't confuse smarter and wiser with this.

Regarding download speeds, I did a test on the Internet company that begins with a C (for criminal) that said they did not restrict download rates. Photoscenery download at home, 2.55mbps, constant.

Same flight sim company, same file, same server at work, 10mbps.

Uh huh....

It really does look stunning and is a considerable step up if you ever experienced the NL2000 photoreal

textures.

It absolutely comes to life when flying VFR over the Netherlands !  I do experience a little frame drop when flying  the PMDG 737 NGX

in the EHAM region with Fly Tampa Eham, FTX Vector OpenLC Europe  and FTX Global  installed.

:biggrin::gaul:

Edited by Mbergsma
  • Like 1