Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

External power

How i can connect the external power. It appears when i check "tow car and static elements" but i have no current/voltage on the electric gauge. Also, you can't start the engine if the static elements aren't removed. Thanks.

• Like 1

Real Deraps

Looks like a bug that no power is displayed when the display switch is set to EXT PWR but if you turn on EXT PWR and see that the EXT PWR ON, L BAT and R BAT lights are on, you should be able to start the engines regardless of the static elements setting.  The EXT PWR AVAIL light will only illuminate when tow car and static elements is selected to on and the parking brake is on.  Not sure if the batteries drain as I have the FSUIPC misc option set to extend battery life.

Would be better if external power was a separate item on the shift 3 menu really.

I asked Carenado about this. External power does not prevent the battery from being drained, and they have no plans on changing this. The FSUIPC option of infinite battery life appears to be the best way to handle this.

Peter

Unbelievable. It's certainely not so difficult to make this external power working. 😠. Anyways, thanks for replying guys.

Real Deraps

I ran into the same issue with EXT PWR ... I believe there is a "possible" bug, because turning EXT PWR ON should allow me to turn the BAT OFF, but if I do turn the BAT OFF I get no power at all even when EXT PWR ON.  So effectively there is no way to run the aircraft with EXT PWR ... if this were accurate then not many S340 in the real world would get airborne because flight crews take longer than just a few minutes to get the aircraft engines started and gens set.

As pointed out, the work around is to use FSUIPC battery life option.

Cheers, Rob.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:54 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I ran into the same issue with EXT PWR ... I believe there is a "possible" bug, because turning EXT PWR ON should allow me to turn the BAT OFF, but if I do turn the BAT OFF I get no power at all even when EXT PWR ON.  So effectively there is no way to run the aircraft with EXT PWR ... if this were accurate then not many S340 in the real world would get airborne because flight crews take longer than just a few minutes to get the aircraft engines started and gens set.

The Saab 340 was one of my favorite aircraft as a passenger in the1980ies (in spite of the high noise and vibration level in the cabin). So, purchasing this addon seems attractive for me, but some reported bugs put me off so far. E.g. the faulty EXT PWR function is really difficult to accept.

Rob, has Carenado solved this issue in the meantime or do you still need the unrealistic FSUIPC work around?

Felix

42 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

Carenado solved this issue in the meantime or do you still need the unrealistic FSUIPC work around?

Carenado released an update ... I didn't get any notification, just found out by downloading the file again from my account.  Should be SA100Xv1.2.exe (899,810KB).  This did solve the problem with EXT PWR for me.

Ironically, QW 787 seems to have the same issue (even the updated v.1.1.1).  

All seems to boil down to having a "cold and dark default aircraft" (globally defined).

Cheers, Rob. 

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

This did solve the problem with EXT PWR for me.

All seems to boil down to having a "cold and dark default aircraft" (globally defined).

Thanks a lot, Rob! In this case I can‘t resist and give this Saab 340 a try.

Felix

I have no particular sentimental connection to this plane. I've never been in one in RL and would probably prefer the Dash-8 200. And yet, this Carenado aircraft grew on me. It is perfect for a short after-work hop of 45-70 minutes and still provides me with a lot of immersion. Go for it!

Peter

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Flyfox said:

Thanks a lot, Rob! In this case I can‘t resist and give this Saab 340 a try.

At least if you own Flight1 GTN750 I would reconsider the decision. Although it is far from perfect (like any other Carenado plane), it is really a nice plane to fly short hops. Together with the GTN750, even IFR flights with SID/STAR are easily possible.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have v1.2exe installed, but do not get a voltage reading with ext power selected on. With ext pwr on, and batteries off, the aircraft is still cold; no voltage at all.

There is a good reference here: https://sites.google.com/site/sf340com/elec 

I have my sim loading from a default global C&D.

According to this, from cold and dark, when the GPU is connected and giving >7V the blue ext pwr avail light should illuminate - it doesn't. The voltmeter should show the ext pwr voltage before applying it to the aircraft, it doesn't.

The external power is directly linked to the start bus, then this powers the left bus. So with ext power on, the right battery on, no lights enunciate. Putting the left battery on appears to link the external power to the left bus. This is modelled. The main bus voltage for the left bus only shows when both the left and the right batteries are on.

The first engine start (if GPU not used) relies on the batteries in series giving 48A. The second engine start takes 24V from the batteries (now in parallel through the automatic bus tie relay operating) and the remaining 24V power from the first engine generator.

The cold and dark option using 'shift+6' seems to deselect 'ext pwr avail' blue light when the GPU is selected. If you chose 'Systems' using the 'shift + 6' shortcut the panel state shows ext pwr avail blue light when the GPU is connected using tow car and static elements. It still does not show ext power voltage on the voltmeter.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

Carenado released an update ....SA100Xv1.2.exe (899,810KB).  This did solve the problem with EXT PWR for me.

Cheers, Rob. 

So v1.2 doesn't work for me Rob; the lack of finishing touches has again spoilt an otherwise useful short haul prop for me. 

Andy