Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Wind Tamer...

Neither me Murmur, but I found it interesting and reveals the real need of the Devs team to address this and other issues long time standing in X-plane ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

Useful for many users, but definitely not the way I would like to see the issue resolved. :-)

I agree... and I try to make that point in the "readme" (I wrote the script).  But until LR decides to address the issue, in my very biased opinion, I think it's a pretty good workaround for X-Plane's ground (mis)behavior.  Give it a try... you might really like it :biggrin:.

WaarEagle

(I use different 'handles' on different sites to keep myself confused)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I didn't yet test your scriopt WaarEagle, but it's indeed an excellent contribution!

It happens that yesterday I had "nagged" Austin again about yet another "plague" of X-Plane : The wind variability effects on ALL aircraft ...

If the fetched METAR has an even slight wind variability string, and even if X-Plane's weather engine doesn't add any turbulence to the equation, your aircraft, from the lightest GA to the heaviest A380 will dance like mad at the pace of the wind, as "the vector shifts"... Try it with even a slight DDD07KT  DDDVDDD field....

Only way to tame this down while, again, Austin doesn't do something about the internal code which might probably be more related to the way X-Plane calculates weathervane stability than to the way it models wind variability, would be to slow down the variability rate, increasing the shift time, and the ( random ) time delays between shifts... Just an idea for your next script 😉

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I just tested this script for only 5 minutes because I found on my end that this script made clouds redraws too often with default weather and clouds.

Alexander Colka

The only time the WindTamer script forces a redraw is when the aircraft climbs through the "trigger altitude" with real-time weather in use.  The only way multiple re-draws can occur is if you continuously fly at or close to the trigger altitude (500' by default)... which is pretty low in most situations.  If long-term low-altitude flights are your preference, lowering the trigger altitude (try 100 - 200') should eliminate any issues.

8 hours ago, jcomm said:

Only way to tame this down while, again, Austin doesn't do something about the internal code which might probably be more related to the way X-Plane calculates weathervane stability than to the way it models wind variability, would be to slow down the variability rate, increasing the shift time, and the ( random ) time delays between shifts... Just an idea for your next script 😉

I'm with you, I hate just about everything related to "shear" in X-Plane.  While it is possible to take control of the variability and gust parameters to calm them down (which I do in the script), real-time weather in X-plane is coded in such a way that if you take control of one weather parameter, you take control of all of them.  In other words, when the script makes a change to the wind, X-plane will not change anything else (clouds, temperature, pressure, etc.) until it regains complete control.  Unfortunately, this means the only way to manipulate the wind full-time with real weather requires that all of the other  parameters be manipulated full-time as well.  Creating a global weather engine (like ActiveSky or xEnviro) was never my intention... I just want to keep my planes on the runway until Austin decides that this is an issue worthy of his attention 😉.

Just for clarity, I want to emphasize that Wind Tamer does not "kill" the real-time weather function.  As soon as an aircraft climbs above the trigger altitude, weather control is returned to X-Plane (that's why it forces a single refresh).

Edited by MadDog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MadDog said:

The only time the WindTamer script forces a redraw is when the aircraft climbs through the "trigger altitude" with real-time weather in use.  The only way multiple re-draws can occur is if you continuously fly at or close to the trigger altitude (500' by default)... which is pretty low in most situations.  If long-term low-altitude flights are your preference, lowering the trigger altitude (try 100 - 200') should eliminate any issues.

Thanks for the explanation what happens with the script about clouds re draws, hope you can mitigate or kill that side effect that could kill the immersion in that critical phase of flight when in final approach.

Alexander Colka

46 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

Thanks for the explanation what happens with the script about clouds re draws, hope you can mitigate or kill that side effect that could kill the immersion in that critical phase of flight when in final approach.

Redraws will not occur on approach... only on departure when climbing.

Probably the most useless device I ever had. :)

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Interesting. Will look forward trying it out - and also remain hoping that Laminar will get this "issue" fixed.

This and the rest....

Regarding weather they should also look at wind variability simulation, turbulence simulation, icing simulation although that is more related to the aircraft itself and how it is calculated, namely with the aircraft area being a multiplier for the rate of getting structural ice which results in your A380 getting totally ice covered a way faster than the trike, and so on....

Together with the ground physics, they surely have a lot to work on along XP11...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Well, that was hilarious. 🙂 Hopefully this will result in better modeling of fuselage forces. Although there are also specific academic texts and technical reports that give formulas to predict the aerodynamic forces acting on slender-bodies. Hopefully Austin will use those texts and cross-check his experiments with them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]