Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[25APR18] New Product Reveal at FlightSim Expo'18 - Las Vegas 09JUN18

Personally I had absolutely no idea what to expect since it was quite clear it was not an airplane. I do remember that mysterious ACARS entry in the  747 menu in FSX that then just disappeared, and wasn't that like ...hmm ten years ago?! But will definitely get this one.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

30 minutes ago, Krister said:

Personally I had absolutely no idea what to expect since it was quite clear it was not an airplane. I do remember that mysterious ACARS entry in the  747 menu in FSX that then just disappeared, and wasn't that like ...hmm ten years ago?! But will definitely get this one.

I might be mis-remembering it but I'm sure RSR briefly mentioned the GFO concept many years ago in a presentation.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

I am shocked with the behavior and comments from some.......

Thank you kyle that you pulled the brake here.

For the simmers i have this to say,

The 748 is comming-good news

The max will come in time-good news

The GFO will come for everybody who likes it-good news

So they made very clear what it would not be.

And for everyone that waited with their wallets ready......you can spend it later i know for sure 😂

Marcel van der biezen

It's a very novel and original idea. Not for everyone but a great idea nonetheless.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With the introduction of GFO, we’re moving closer and closer toward realism. And with the feature where the panel state is left the same, perhaps PMDG can clarify what state their aircraft should be left in for turnarounds? As mentioned before pilots rarely put the aircraft in cold and dark. I have an idea of what a turnaround state should be, and I have saved that panel state on my aircraft, but some confirmation would be nice.

Oh and i forgot......

My lovely 777 will get updates.....

Iets wait and see what brings the GFO before we all give our opinion. I guess that sharing cockpit will come and this is the road to get there.

For now i would say just take all a breath and go enjoy our hobby. 

Marcel van der biezen

17 hours ago, HighFlier said:

Nope, not at all. FS Economy only works for one person. What PMDG is doing allows the ability for one person to do a flight, and then have another person do the next leg, as well as many many more features.

This is why I said ESSENTIALLY (not exactly)  ADVANCED (not simple), which you simply did not comprehend: 

Essentially an advanced FS Economy which has been around since 2005

This is not an "all new idea", as others have pointed out with PSS Flight Line, that I myself used as well, long ago. So long ago, I totally had forgotten about it.

Yes, GFO is light-years more advanced in ground breaking features, and this brings me great joy.

I intend to enjoy GFO it to its maximum possible as I did Flight Line and FS Economy.

It appears that PMDG's GFO will likely compete with rex simair....this is good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HighFlier said:

With the introduction of GFO, we’re moving closer and closer toward realism. And with the feature where the panel state is left the same, perhaps PMDG can clarify what state their aircraft should be left in for turnarounds? As mentioned before pilots rarely put the aircraft in cold and dark. I have an idea of what a turnaround state should be, and I have saved that panel state on my aircraft, but some confirmation would be nice.

Checklists are your friend.

39 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

When I "check-out" a plane, let me move it to the airport I wish to depart from.

No.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

4 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

How many simmers really want to do that?

For me I work on the road a lot and honestly don't have the time to join a VA. I tried BVA but due to my busy schedule had to resign after a month of being with them (not there fault but mine they are a good group of people.). I personally think this will give me an opportunity to do more realistic airline flights with the bonus of I get to fly as any airline that I want and when I want. So many people have tried to incorporate ACARS/CPDLC into the aircraft with mixed results. I personally think PMDG is going to close this gap and it is going to be ridiculously amazing and open the door for new tech and innovation.

They mentioned API and opening up to other developers at FSExpo. It makes me wonder if we are not far off from seeing inflight VATSIM/IVAO CPDLC messages show up on the EICAS.

13 minutes ago, pracines said:

Checklists are your friend.

The flaw here is that we all can use different checklists, just like every dofferent airline does.  The panel state left by person x is going to be different depending of the checklist being used.  Unlike an airline where everyone uses the same checklist so there is a level of expectancy of where every switch should be.  

We must plainly accept at this stage that GFO at this point is met with moderate to cool acceptance. That doesn't preclude anything. Maybe it's just the hangover following the PERCEIVED mismatch between the announcement hype and the actual announcement. Let GFO sink in people's minds.

Best regards,

Christian Kelter

12 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

45 minutes ago, MatthewS said: When I "check-out" a plane, let me move it to the airport I wish to depart from.

No.

GFO is not for me then.  Will be the only PMDG product I've never purchased...

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 2

Matthew S

Well I think it's a cool idea. I'll give it a go.

Somebody raised checklists concerns - I agree with those concerns about the state we'll find the airframe on repositioning to the airport. But quite honestly, your initial scan of the switches and instruments should suffice to see anything out of place, switches in wrong position, etc.

This is how the RW works - you red eye on a positioning flight, walk up to the airframe in the dark, get the batteries on by torchlight and take it from there - trusting that the last aircrew were as professional as you - but still double checking everything because they're in the Hilton and it's your precious ars* on the line not theirs.

Apart from that, I'm game and I'm pretty sure my VA will be on to this to integrate into our SOPs.

Well done PMDG - kept that quiet didn't you!

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, icaruss said:

The flaw here is that we all can use different checklists, just like every dofferent airline does.  The panel state left by person x is going to be different depending of the checklist being used.  Unlike an airline where everyone uses the same checklist so there is a level of expectancy of where every switch should be.  

A Flaw? No.

Either you know the plane you are flying or you don't, if you don't, then you probably should not fly it using GFO. If you do know the plane, then you will likely be fine no matter who has flown it. Just like in real life there is always a risk and errors and mistakes and ignorance and stupidity...name it.