Sign in to follow this  
jmig

i7 8700K OC Questions

I just built a new flight sim rig around an i7 8700K CPU and an ASUS Maximus X Hero motherboard. For cooling I am using a Corsair H105 liquid cooler. Memory is 16GB of DDR4 3200. I am running this on Win 10 Home.

I watched some YouTube videos on overclocking and use one by a young German named der8auer. Using his advice and instructions I was able to OC to 5.0 GHz. I am happy with this.

I did not try any stress testing. I don't care if it lasts 8 or 24 hours under 100% load. All I care about is its performance in PD3 V4. I did my version of stress testing by loading up Iris's PC-21 and flying out of John Wayne Airport in Orange County CA. I run ORBX Global, Vector and So California scenery. I have found that this test is a good stress test for my type of flying. During the 15 minute flight the FPS with the stock cfg were bouncing anywhere from the high eighties to the forties. I watched the cpu temps and they generally hung in the sixties with a max of seventy four degrees C.

Now my questions. I am not a OCer. I am 70 years old any just happy that I can still build the computer and follow directions, In following directions I, as the the gentleman did, set the Sync CPU Ratio to Sync all cores. As I understand it, this will cause all six cores to run at 5.0 GHz. Is this necessary for PD3? It obviously generates more heat to max out all six cores. Would it be better if I were to only OC  one or two cores and allow the system to handle the rest?

My second question has to do with the memory. Is it possible to OC the memory? Will it provide any reasonable benefit to do so. If so, what is a good target setting for 3200 DRAM?

Thank you,

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

You can OC memory, but you won't see a noticeable benefit. Better to go into your BIOS and enable XMP to on. This will put your RAM into what can be best described as a "high performance" mode.

FWIW, you should do some stress-testing to ensure you have true stability, otherwise when you experience a crash (and you will, because that's what OC'ing is all about) you'll be at a loss as to what is happening and why. Intel Burn Test is a great tool to see where your OC stands. if you can pass 10 cycles on Max you should be good to go.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

1 hour ago, jmig said:

Now my questions. I am not a OCer. I am 70 years old any just happy that I can still build the computer and follow directions, In following directions I, as the the gentleman did, set the Sync CPU Ratio to Sync all cores. As I understand it, this will cause all six cores to run at 5.0 GHz. Is this necessary for PD3? It obviously generates more heat to max out all six cores. Would it be better if I were to only OC  one or two cores and allow the system to handle the rest?

Hey John.  Nice rig!  I'm not too far behind you (62) and truly enjoy messing around with computers.  And yes, you can adjust your OC to have any number of cores OC'd to 5.0, or... just two, with the rest at 4.9... or 2 at 5.0, 2 at 4.9 and 2 at 4.8... etc.  It just depends on the amount of time you want to take, what performance you're looking for, and the average temps you're willing to live with.

For me, fans spooling up and down becomes a huge distraction, so I go for the highest OC that doesn't cause the fans cycle up/dn with peak/low frequency spikes.  I'm right on the hairy edge now with a solid OC at 4.9.  And I also followed a lot of der8auer's tips.  He has some very informative videos.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I agree with the above statements. I have the same computer but with 32 Gb memory.

Sounds like you have a good CPU. Running at 5.0 with those temps is very good. Do you recall what CPU voltage you're using? I found that 4.9 Ghz with synchronized cores and hyper-threading set to On works best for me. 

Doug, after all was tweaked as much as I felt like tweaking (a tiring job for me), I dove into the fan controls. (FanXpert 4, in my case.) I ended the cycling fan speeds by making adjustments there. I kept AI Suite 3 open and ran (for example) P3D4. I noted where the temps where a good load would occur. Then noted where the idle temps where. Then, I adjusted the custom fan curves so the fans would kick up just before the temperatures where P3D4 runs. Now, I don't really notice the fans, as I'm usually concentrating on flying and there's none of that darn fan cycling going on.

I hope that makes sense.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

5 hours ago, jmig said:

I just built a new flight sim rig around an i7 8700K CPU and an ASUS Maximus X Hero motherboard. For cooling I am using a Corsair H105 liquid cooler. Memory is 16GB of DDR4 3200. I am running this on Win 10 Home.

I watched some YouTube videos on overclocking and use one by a young German named der8auer. Using his advice and instructions I was able to OC to 5.0 GHz. I am happy with this.

I did not try any stress testing. I don't care if it lasts 8 or 24 hours under 100% load. All I care about is its performance in PD3 V4. I did my version of stress testing by loading up Iris's PC-21 and flying out of John Wayne Airport in Orange County CA. I run ORBX Global, Vector and So California scenery. I have found that this test is a good stress test for my type of flying. During the 15 minute flight the FPS with the stock cfg were bouncing anywhere from the high eighties to the forties. I watched the cpu temps and they generally hung in the sixties with a max of seventy four degrees C.

My second question has to do with the memory. Is it possible to OC the memory? Will it provide any reasonable benefit to do so. If so, what is a good target setting for 3200 DRAM?

Thank you,

the 8700k its no reason to clock invidual cores , you can clock the mems if you have good sample.

I run my 8700K at 5.3ghz vcore 1.39v mems at 4266 C17 cooling Aio X62 

Roman der8uer is one of the best Overclockers he now what he doing, that not the case with all youtube tutorials.

Iam quit old myself just over 65 years old, overclocked for 25 years friend with Roman and Elmor (Asus) 

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the input. RichieFly, I am running at 1.35Vdc. I have not noticed the fan noise. I am in a cockpit and the computer is about four feet away between the cockpit nose and the screen on the wall. So, maybe it is far enough away,,,then there is my hearing..or lack of, as my wife will say. 😉

I think, following ZLA Steve's advice, I will do some stress testing, just for confidence. If it passes, I will leave well enough alone. I break enough things trying to tweak them.

Happy Flying,

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

14 hours ago, jmig said:

Now my questions. I am not a OCer. I am 70 years old any just happy that I can still build the computer and follow directions, 

An old git here too... 60. But still very sexy. 😀

a young German named der8auer.

As Westman rightly said... he's one of the best. You can't go wrong following his advice. Does depend on the silicone lottery though, my 8700K doesn't like his settings.

All I care about is its performance in PD3 V4. I did my version of stress testing by loading up Iris's PC-21 and flying out of John Wayne Airport in Orange County CA. I run ORBX Global, Vector and So California scenery. I have found that this test is a good stress test for my type of flying.

There's nothing wrong with that approach. The best test for stability is the programs you run. We don't build Prime 95 or OCCT PC's, we build them to be stable in our applications. Don't let anyone tell you that you MUST run a stress test for countless hours. I just run RealBench for a couple of hours, then, like you, test with the applications I usually run. I have had a stable system in Prime and other stress tests only for it to fall down running games. 

I watched the cpu temps and they generally hung in the sixties with a max of seventy four degrees C.

Absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with that temp. 

As I understand it, this will cause all six cores to run at 5.0 GHz. Is this necessary for PD3? It obviously generates more heat to max out all six cores. Would it be better if I were to only OC  one or two cores and allow the system to handle the rest?

Best way to find out is to run a test, with per core or sync all cores. 

You don't have an issue with temp, but if you did want to reduce temps it's worth remembering that 100 or 200 MHz equates to very little in terms of frame rate. And the lower voltage associated with, lets say, 4.7 or 4.8 GHz would result in lower temp.

Another approach, and an alternative to your current 5 GHz overclock, is to simply enable XMP for your RAM, and then make sure MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) is switched on in the BIOS. Intel Turbo overclocks one core to the max Turbo frequency, and then the other cores lower, but with MCE on, all cores will clock to the max Turbo frequency. This way you will have all cores clocked to 4.7 GHz. And 4.7 GHz as opposed to your current 5 GHz wont make a huge difference in frame rate at all. After all, it's a mere 300 MHz. It's a loss of about 1.5 frames per second at 30 frames per second. 

If you followed der8auer's advice then I presume you have XMP on? Technically, XMP is an overclock. It's the overclock that the RAM manufacturer deems your modules to be capable of running at. It is possible to tweak higher, but my  advice is not to. Stick to the XMP setting.

Edited by martin-w

10 hours ago, RichieFly said:

I dove into the fan controls. (FanXpert 4, in my case.) I ended the cycling fan speeds by making adjustments there. I kept AI Suite 3 open and ran (for example) P3D4. I noted where the temps where a good load would occur. Then noted where the idle temps where. Then, I adjusted the custom fan curves so the fans would kick up just before the temperatures where P3D4 runs. Now, I don't really notice the fans, as I'm usually concentrating on flying and there's none of that darn fan cycling going on.

I hope that makes sense.

Did you know that there's no need to modify the fan curve in Fan Xpert to avoid fans ramping up and down suddenly. 

I use the standard fan profile in Fan Xpert, but modify the "fan spin up" and "fan spin down" delay time, so that the fans don't have the opportunity to respond to sudden temp spikes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I use the standard fan profile in Fan Xpert, but modify the "fan spin up" and "fan spin down" delay time, so that the fans don't have the opportunity to respond to sudden temp spikes. 

I found the ASUS UEFI fan step-up and step-down settings recently, but didn’t play with them yet. Fan Xpert sounds like a much easier way to experiment with these fan settings. Will have give it a try. Thanks for the tip, Martin. 

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

23 hours ago, dmiannay said:

I found the ASUS UEFI fan step-up and step-down settings recently, but didn’t play with them yet. Fan Xpert sounds like a much easier way to experiment with these fan settings. Will have give it a try. Thanks for the tip, Martin. 

It's in Fan Xpert and in the UEFI. I adjust in Fan Xpert. It's a fan spin up time and fan spin down time slider. 

Whatever cooling solution you use, whatever hardware you're using, you can augment cooling greatly by parking your PC case right in front of a thru-the-wall small A/C unit.  Very nice in the warmer months, and during the cool months you can run 'fan only' at 3 different speeds to just get outside air coming into the PC case.   If you're not happy w/ the noise from it use good stereo monitor headphones.  Myself, it doesn't bother me because I think about how loud real flying is it's really nothing but a little white noise, but the temp reduction payoff is comparable to de-lidding, except the entire PC gets cooled.   One can create ducting to route the output directly into PC fan intake ports--but it's not really necessary.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X