Hi all

I am considering upgrading my GTX970 to a GTX1060 https://www.arc.com.au/product/59591 

I of course would prefer to go to a GTX1070, but at the moment they are too expensive.

My question, would I see much benefit in going to a 1060 from a 970? I might be interested in going down the VR route, but not in the immediate future.

Thanks for any answers.

John

I just went from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1070Ti. The performance gain was negligible. I'm running a 6700k @ 4.4GHZ and 1920x1080 on my monitor. I knew there wasn't going to be much gain before I bought it. I wanted to get another card so I could use my 970 as a backup. I got the 1070Ti directly from Nvidia so I paid regular retail price instead of the ridiculous prices you see online or in stores.

NAX669.png

My advice given the high prices is to wait until the new series of Nvidia cards are released this year. Waiting is a bad word in the PC world when it comes to upgrading as there is always something better coming out but right now GPUs are mostly overpriced and those prices are now slowly falling but still way too high thanks to the Bitcoin mining fiasco. For VR, the next series of cards will likely be miles ahead and make the difference between a good VR flightsim experience and a great one. 

16 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

My advice given the high prices is to wait until the new series of Nvidia cards are released this year. Waiting is a bad word in the PC world when it comes to upgrading as there is always something better coming out but right now GPUs are mostly overpriced and those prices are now slowly falling but still way too high thanks to the Bitcoin mining fiasco. For VR, the next series of cards will likely be miles ahead and make the difference between a good VR flightsim experience and a great one. 

Problem with that approach is the miners again. They are not going to stop for us flight simmers and we have no idea if they will snap up all the new generation stuff using the same bots. it makes sense they will unless there is a bitcoin collapse but no sign of that happening ATM.

IMO if anybody stumbles across a deal right now is grab it with both hands!

ZORAN

I don't really see much benefit in going from a GTX970 to a GTX1060.  One generation newer card, but a step down in the performance hierarchy of Nvidia cards.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.