Sign in to follow this  
Stormenson

Landing wheelie bug report.

I found out that if you try to hold a <<wheelie>> on landing the aircraft keep accelerating on its own. On this video i cut down fuel controls on touch down,i have full flaps and spoilers. REALISM settings are hard.
is this a pmdg or p3dv4 issue. the plane can hop and hop without limit as long as you hold the yoke back.

It keeps generating +10 knots for unknown reason on each hop

Edited by kwstakis1312

Makris Konstantinos

49 minutes ago, kwstakis1312 said:

I found out that if you try to hold a <<wheelie>> on landing the aircraft keep accelerating on its own. On this video i cut down fuel controls on touch down,i have full flaps and spoilers. REALISM settings are hard.
is this a pmdg or p3dv4 issue. the plane can hop and hop without limit as long as you hold the yoke back.

It keeps generating +10 knots for unknown reason on each hop

Since we are investigating a similar issue can you please open a ticket with us at support.precisionmanuals.com to have it documented?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

looks like PMDG have invented the perpetuum mobile. :D

• Like 2

Have had the same problem on the 747 and the 777 as well, the plane won't decelerate unless you tap the brakes manually. Hopefully, it will be fixed on both aircraft.

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 5/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, Cedric Sin said:

Have had the same problem on the 747 and the 777 as well, the plane won't decelerate unless you tap the brakes manually. Hopefully, it will be fixed on both aircraft.

The Autobrakes and Manual braking both work fine on my PC for both of these PMDG aircraft types.  There is a lot of inertia in these aircraft, especially the B744 and they won't stop before the end of the runway if you don't take braking action of some sort. The primary means of stopping is of course with use of the brakes (i.e. autobrakes for most landings), but the spoilers and thrust reversers are also used to reduce the stopping distance and wear and tear on the brakes.   

I haven't tried a 'wheelie' landing in the PMDG B744 (why would you want to?); but sometimes this sort of perpetual motion can be explained if the simulator thinks the aircraft (i.e. any aircraft) has crashed, although when it has happend to me in FSX the aircraft usually bounces into the air.

Bertie G 

10 minutes ago, berts said:

(why would you want to?)

Soft field landing? Kidding of course, but that is how I was taught to land the C-150 on grass.  This bug was completely missed by all over a span of many betas... just never occurred to anyone to give it a try for the reason you said: Why?

Dan Downs KCRP

I like to watch accident/failure etc videos and try them on the simulator. (if possible)

So as i watched Jet Blue Landing Gear Failure at LAX video on youtube , i was wondering for how long i can keep a wheelie before the front wheel touch the ground and also to see the minimum speed before that. Then i found out that environmental friction and few breaking on pedals wasn't working to slowly decelerate the plane while trying to keep the pitch back.

After that i made this video with engine off etc to prove the plane accelerates on its own , also it can happen if you try to land with  very bad weather.

It might sound funny or stupid but this is how i like using simulator. trying failures and unfortunate events all the time.

Makris Konstantinos

17 hours ago, kwstakis1312 said:

It might sound funny or stupid but this is how i like using simulator. trying failures and unfortunate events all the time

I'd be the last to think that "what when wrong" scenarios were silly.  Look how it revealed a glitch in the simulation. Unfortunately, the simulator is much less realistic as the flight boundary conditions are pressed or exceeded so as long as you are simulating procedural errors and stay away from flight conditions outside of the envelope  I think you are fine.  Even something as commonplace (in a simulator) as engine out takeoff is not handled realistically by the FDE.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 hours ago, kwstakis1312 said:

I like to watch accident/failure etc videos and try them on the simulator. (if possible)

So as i watched Jet Blue Landing Gear Failure at LAX video on youtube , i was wondering for how long i can keep a wheelie before the front wheel touch the ground and also to see the minimum speed before that. Then i found out that environmental friction and few breaking on pedals wasn't working to slowly decelerate the plane while trying to keep the pitch back.

After that i made this video with engine off etc to prove the plane accelerates on its own , also it can happen if you try to land with  very bad weather.

It might sound funny or stupid but this is how i like using simulator. trying failures and unfortunate events all the time.

Like Dan, I admire your enthusiasm - provided you learn from the mistakes of others in the accident scenarios you practice.  No amount of experience or training in emergency procedures can possibly cover every eventuality, so thinking outside of the box is not necessarily a bad thing because it can often help you to prepare for the unexpected when that time comes. 

Incidentally, a possible reason why you might have found your brakes weren't working was because all four engines were shut down and, as the airspeed fell below approx 160kts on the latter stages of the approach, you would very likely lose some or all of your four hydraulic system pressures; including to the brakes once the brake accumulator had emptied.

Bertie

on this video the engines are off just to prove that there is no force and the plane gaining speed on its own . When i first tried this out and found the bug the engines were running normally  .

Edited by kwstakis1312

Makris Konstantinos

I had the same happen to me yesterday as well. I added +8kts to the Vref (half the gust factor), touched down rather smoothly in the TDZ, heard the speedbrake come up and tried to engage the reverse thrust, which didn't work, since it instantly came back in again. The nose wasn't dropping and I still had 153 knots halfway down the runway. Stepping on the brakes fully barely had any effect. I assume this has something to do with the enhanced ground handling and gear physics that were introduced with the 747, which, when bugged out, make the airplane think it is still in the air and not lose any energy on idle power and constant pitch for some reason (kind of a perpetuum mobile). Very frustrating when that happens after a 9+ hour flight. 😖

I know its bad. they said they will fix it but i havent seen any update yet in operation center software. 

Edited by kwstakis1312

Makris Konstantinos

2 hours ago, kwstakis1312 said:

I know its bad. they said they will fix it but i havent seen any update yet in operation center software. 

Don't expect an update until after the B748 has been released, which will be awhile. It's not even in beta yet.  If you fly the aircraft properly during landing this should not be a problem.  Landing too fast is a problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 5/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, downscc said:

If you fly the aircraft properly during landing this should not be a problem.  Landing too fast is a problem.

Sorry, but what? This is a very serious problem. It just breaks all the physics and ruins any kind of immersion. Period. You do realize that you normally add a couple knots to your Vref if it's gusty or there are strong headwinds. This is in fact how you'd fly the aircraft 'properly'. 😉