Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel Pimentel

Proposal for a new forum policy

Guest davidvoogd

Unfortunately many posts as of late have been locked due to the actions of a few members. Before I go on - it is not my intention to point a finger at any individual, and I ask that any response also not mention individuals by name, or any reference at all.It is unfortunate that discussion gets cut off because of these stupid arguments, and I would like to request that Avsim instead of cutting off conversation to all - cut off those users from the forums when they hijack the post. Perhaps there could be a 1st offense - 1 week restriction, second 1 month, and third strike they are out for good.This is harsh but I think it's necessary. There would of course have to be guidelines as to what is an offense, and what is not, as well as common sense being used.Any opinions (oh and if anyone turns this into a flame war I'll fly down to your place and ** you on the head :( )

I agree with David.There were a couple of threads over the last couple of days that started off imparting some useful information, or at least respectful dialog, but quickly headed south because some posters decided to they needed to be disrespectful to get their point across. In fact, some of the posters tried to get the threads back on track, to no avail. Perhaps if those individuals who hijack threads have their accounts temporarily suspended will start to think of more creative/respectfull ways to get their positions across and not be so negitive. Maybe then we can all follow a thread to it's natural conclusion.

I agree David.Most post here are very informative & offer great dialog in an appropriate manor. A lot of good information, both pro & con, to any given subject is good for the hobby. I can't understand the need for some to degrade a discussion into what some posts have become lately. It happens everytime a new product is released. Seems like there are those who feel the need to be "Consumer Advocates" and offer opinions on any product that "they" feel isn't worth buying for whatever reason.The discussions here at Avsim, at least I feel, are generally much broader in scope than most other sites I visit. I am hopeful that the Mods here can find a way to help stop some of what has been happening recently.Jim

I agree with David. It is becoming a bit a farce to come to this board to see how far sideways the threads become. If there is some accountability held to the members that are hijacking threads, and just being negative, they may think twice before doing it. And the rest of us can do what we do, exchange info in a pleasant and grown up manner.

Hi,You are so right.I remember back in the FS95 / FS98 days. Then it was fun logging in to a forum, having fun and constructive discussions with all fellow simmers, without beeing bashed or "laughed" at.Today,....???? Well let me put it this way,...I am always taking a second or even a third thought before I post anything in any forum.I really don

Staffan

Guest davidvoogd

I don't think it's just the flightsim community - other gaming forums are actually worse than this. It's just with the average age of a flightsimmer you'd expect better. Now I don't mean to say that there can't be small arguments over a difference on opinion, that's fine, it's the personal attacks that I want to see eliminated.I think the 1 week / 1 month / forever banning may be a bit too harsh - but something on the lines of that - 1 week for personal attacks, just to remove the user from the forum so they realize it's a privilidge to be here and perhaps rethink how they say things.

Some of you are really funny. :-lolI am guessing here, but maybe you can clear this up. Are you honestly asking for me to be banned from here.I ask you to take the following into consideration.1) The other thread, I gave an opinion no different in my eyes than a current thread existing now in the MSFS forum about the pricing of an aircraft. Go look at that one, which is a very similar comment to mine, in my opinion, and tell me if that person warranted the type of response I got.2) If you want to ban for personal attacks, go back and see who attacked who first in each and every case. IT WASN'T Me. I counted at least Five personal attacks against me, and all I did was defend myself. I responded, and in the future I will try to ignore the childish personal attacks made on me, and try to stick to the topic at hand. SO go see who led the topic off course first.3) You see, some can't seem to seperate an opinion on a person from an opinion on a product. Go read the locked thread in order of the number of posts, and see how they basically ganged up on me, same old crowd, where all I did was offer an opinion.GO READ THE THREAD again. You folks, in my opinion need to look at the context of what I was responding to.Just about Every single time I posted a response, it was to a personal attack on me.Do you even get that?More importantly, do you even have the integrity to take notice of that and acknowledge it?Sheesh.... Anyway that's all, my integrity is in tact, and I hope you all take the time to re-read that thread in the order it was written and then evaluate whether 3 payware developers who attacked me first should be held to the same scrutiny you are attempting to hold me too.Now the developers have every opportunity to defend their actions or choose not to. I have no qualms about that. But they should learn to defend the product and keep the personal attacks out of it. Now, if you are not actually talking about me, and were only referring to them, I apologize for the leap on my part. ;-) Take Care,Joeaopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

I strongly disagree.There are already safeguards to handle unruly members and Tom Allensworth uses his privilage to ban people - it happened at least 2 times in the last year (if I my count is correct). But it is one thing to ban people who violate all rules of decent behaviour and completely another to keep some sort of a record of people who get "off-topic". That would be simply ridiculous and unworkable. In the course of heated discussion folks often venture off-topic but otherwise they are not 'bad' people and simply locking the thread is the best course of action. The current forum policies are the most pragmatic they can be.I also want to come to defense of our embattled member Joe (Sonar5). Though I often disgaree with him he writes well and he never crosses the line of what is not appropriate. So please leave him alone.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Hello, everyone.I think that over 90% of the problems can be eliminated by not allowing any discussions from, or about, the commercially developed products in this forum.A while back an attempt was made to do this but not enforced, to have a forum for commercial developers.It seems that you have certain people, that I refer to a cronies, that would attack anyone that attempts to have a different, even when based on facts and experience, opinion. TV

Guest davidvoogd
Before I go on - it is not my intention to point a finger at any individual, and I ask that any response also not mention individuals by name, or any reference at all.
DID YOU NOT READ THAT? I DIDN'T MENTION ANYONE SPECIFICALLY, THE MESSAGE MADE NO REFERENCE TO ANY INDIVIDUAL AT ALL! I ACTUALLY MADE EVERY BLOODY EFFORT POSSIBLE TO PREVENT ANYONES NAME FROM BEING POINTED OUT! COME ON!This is not in any way attacking any individual member. This is saying we have a problem - it's not being addressed with the current methods and something needs to be done.Banning discussion about commercial products is simply not an option, that would mean Avsim should also ban any reviews, and heck they should ban adds too. There is nothing wrong with discussion commercial software, the only problem is those that attack any post discussing it.

The ones that rile me are the attacks for thrills (not sure how it's thrilling, but a few seem to enjoy riling people). No matter what you say, they try to discredit you and sling mud like it's some presidential campaign. I've learned just to ignore them and not even address them unless somewhere in their post they have a valid comment worth addressing. Some of the useless debates that keep cropping up are also just begging for flame wars. Asking for speculation on why there's isn't this, or why there is this, or what caused such and such crash the day before is in my opinion not even worth reading. People state their reasonings, some logical, some outlandish. Then ultimately, someone feels the need to prove that he's right without stating any facts behind his stance. Statements such as "You're a moron" are not facts, it doesn't back up your debate. I would like to see a little more respect around here. However, considering the trend everything else is taking in the world, I doubt I'll see it.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest davidvoogd

The problem is you can't just ignore them when the thread gets locked - the whole conversation gets shut up because someone loses their temper over some stupid issue (again not talking about anyone specific, this is a general comment about a general problem just had to make that clear).

Guest davidvoogd

You know what? Nevermind - I give up, I have better things to do with my time than try and ask for opinion on commercial products to end up in a bicker fest - there's enough of that on reality TV shows. I just won't bother participating in the Avsim forums anymore, it's not worth the hassle.

Avsim is still great source of information regardless of the occasional "bicker fest". But if it bothers your sensibilities - leaving it for good may not be a bad idea.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest davidvoogd

I still intend to use the site itself for news and reviews, but I think I'm going to stay away from the forums a bit.