Sign in to follow this  
dan172

pc rebooting

Hey all. Im pretty into flight simming with my rift. prepar3d
I have a msi GTX 1070ti
Z97X gaming 3
DDR 3 16 Gig ram
thermaltake smart 750w 80bronze

can someone help me with why my pc reboots under load, eg addon airports and scenery.
default scenery I can fly around all day.
In oculus tray tools when I set Power plan to high performance and put on the rift, the sim rebooted straight away.
also Nautilus game reboots the PC after about 5 - 10 mins.
thanks guys.
Dan.

Hello Dan,

750w 80 Bronze, is it modular ? Every device on the mobo and connected to the various slots and ports draws down some degree of power, USB slots included, some hardware like Graphics cards and an overclocked CPU will require solid/reliable power delivery.  A Silver or preferably Gold 80+ 750w or 850w modular power supply would likely solve the issue. Providing your RAM memtest's OK,  Full power delivery from the 12v rail is important.
Another thing that can affect an otherwise operational PSU is dust build up inside the PSU and PSU cooling fan, causing lack of performance due to overheat. I'm not discounting the performance of your 750w Bronze 80 PSU altogether, but I would check for dust build up. If none then consider your PSU there not really that expensive around the 750-850watt 80+ Gold range from one of the better manufactures. (Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Seasonic).  (with quality capacitors)

Perhaps.....  Power starvation from the 12volt rail in your PSU, under light load this often won't occur, but full power under load just tips the balance. I found this out the hard way when on one of my earlier PC builds the Power supply turned out to be more focussed on ECO specs rather than performance, (Huntkey 550w silver 80+) Even though the stated wattage was higher than what I needed back then, it was not delivering when hardware required full delivery. Won't make that mistake again. It was literally a BSOD fest with Win7/64 being blamed, as it turns out a high quality properly rated PSU sorted that out. I now run a (CoolerMaster V850w Gold 80+ Modular PSU) Priced around $250 AU$ 

Edited by Jethro

Or it could be plain old overheating......

Do you have all the latest drivers for your machine?

What are your case, cpu, and gpu temps looking like, at load?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. temps seem pretty good, nothing to worry about 64 at max but that wasn't at max performance.

Using HWMonitor  My GTX 1070Ti had Voltage at Value:1.044  Min:0.850 Max:1.050

that was in the Alabao R66 Orbx Cairns, Oculus Rift,, 30 seconds after those values, BOOM! pc restart as I headed to the city of cairns.

I have all the p3d values dummed down, all drivers up to date.

ram test. ok

I actually had a R9 390x which did the same thing, so thinking it was the problem I bought this 1070Ti only to have the same issue.

Check your PSU. I had the same symptoms with software just shutting down without any reason and it turned out the PSU had developed a fault.  It can be heat induced and when a certain load or temp hits, it fails.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Hello,

I had the exact problem with P3D v4, starting with unexplained errors and

developing into a PC reboot. Like you, temperatures were normal.

The solution was to replace the Corsair 750W bronze modular power supply.

As it had worked faultlessly for almost three years, I was able to RMA it

and have been sent a replacement under the exemplary warranty.

In the meantime, I have bought a second one at a very good price and all is well again.

After a PC restart I can use DCS for a fairly long time, when I close DCS, wait a while, load her up again I get about 1 minute before PC reboots itself, it's almost like the computer runs out of juice and refills on a restart.. can anyone make sense of that? cheers