Sign in to follow this  
Saira

FSX or Prepar3D?

Hello everyone. I’ve been doing research for a month or so and I’m trying to contemplate which flight simulator I should get. I DO NOT want X-Plane series sims because I would like to purchase the PMDG B777. I’ve been a member of other flight sims but I think it’s time to bring it back up. I want a good flight simulator. I have a new PC being built and shipped to me from the U.K. It should be enough to support a lot of scenery and FPS. I’d like to know you all’s opinions on which one to get. FYI: I am willing to spend the money on Prepar3D if it is worth the buy. If not then I’ll use add ons for FSX to make it look lively. I’ve purchased the Logitech X56 for my joy and throttle. And thrustmaster rudder pedals. The PMDG 777 is my go to airplane, I love the 777 and would like to bring it up to long haul flights. I plan on registering into Air France virtual once I can start getting some knowledge of the simulator and airplane. One more thing, if you can recommend me some really good weather or other addons that are scenery and or aircraft I’d love some recommendations. 

Thanks all!!

Quite simple, if your starting from fresh. There is absolutely no reason I can think of to get FSX, so P3D

FSX is a 32 bit application developed in 2006 and is no longer under development or being upgraded.  Some developers, like FSDT, will not make products for it anymore.  FSX will crash easily if your sliders are too high, have too many addons, or have long flights, especially with PMDG aircraft.  P3D is based off of FSX but is being updated and P3DV4 is a 64-bit application.  It is almost impossible to crash (unless you have an incompatible addon).  P3D will be around for a long, long time.  The longevity of FSX is in question. 

Recommend P3DV4 (not V3 or below).

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would not make this decision before June 9.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Going back to FSX for me is like going back to windows 3.1. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I went from FSX strait to P3Dv4 to take advantage of the 64bit platform and could not be happier. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dumont said:

João Alfredo

How come?

No real question, I lingered with FSX until just recently. I sometime scratch my head on final in the PMDG 777, into the new version of KBOS, amidst an ActiveSky Thunderstorm and Ultimate Traffic Live  ----- Smooth as Silk. 

In FSX: that final would be stutters, very low FPS and possibly CTD.

I can't believe i delayed the move to P3Dv4 so long.

For these reasons alone, I recommend going to P3Dv4.2

P3DV4!!! No contest. Difference between a horse or a car.

Vic green

19 minutes ago, Bob Marton said:

No real question, I lingered with FSX until just recently. I sometime scratch my head on final in the PMDG 777, into the new version of KBOS, amidst an ActiveSky Thunderstorm and Ultimate Traffic Live  ----- Smooth as Silk. 

In FSX: that final would be stutters, very low FPS and possibly CTD.

I can't believe i delayed the move to P3Dv4 so long.

For these reasons alone, I recommend going to P3Dv4.2

oh my god right i’ve seen that so much like the storms in boston are horrid to go through

• Like 1

active sky is one that im definitely getting along with PMDG 777LRF i’ll wait on 300ER for a while after

FSX? What's that? Gave up the old 32 bit OOM beast as soon at P3Dv4 came out.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

5 hours ago, Dumont said:

João Alfredo

Could you please elaborate this sentence/asumption ?

Thanks and Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|