Sign in to follow this  
harryh146

New Rig P3D V4 Poor Performance

Afternoon Ladies & Gents, I hate to have to bother you but I am almost at my whits end trying to fix the issues with my P3D V4 performance.

First I shal start with my specs:

Drives: ( C:\ Drive: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive, 1TB Capacity, 7200RPM)

(D:\ Drive Seagate BarraCuda Pro 10TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive, 10TB Capacity, 7200RPM) << P3D & XP Running on this drive

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z299 Deluxe

Intel i7-7820X 8C 16TH, Overcloked to 4.8 Ghz

Ram: HyperX Fury 32 GB DDR4 SD Ram

GPU: Asus Ge Force 1080 Ti

Monitor: Samsung LC49HG90DMUXEN 49" Curved 1ms Ultra Wide 144Hz Monitor 

I will try and explain my problem without telling you my life story but here goes. So when I first received my rig as I am sure you can imagine I was excited, I installed P3D V4.2 with all my add-ons geared up for that first flight, once I had taken off I seemed to have awful frames & stutters. It was the same story in X-Plane after speaking to the seller of my pc we agreed to reformat my system and hey presto it worked i'm now running around 40 FPS at Manchester with high settings (in X-Plane)!  Then it became P3D's turn to be re-installed with all my add-ons. So initially it seemed to be running okay until I decided to fly into Heathrow or any densely populated area for that matter. My frames in the cruise are around 60-70 FPS which is very nice until I get near any auto-gen this is my theory anyway  my frames in a matter of 5-8 seconds can see my frames change from 40 / 30 / 18 sometimes even lower it makes for a very stuttery experience 😞 This was happening before I over-clocked my CPU so today I decided to over-clock to hopefully re-claim some frames and make my overall experience better however over-clocking has made no difference if I load up at Heathrow I am initially greeted with 26 FPS. The moment I take-off its dropping to 11 and below and its a similar experience at Amsterdam and with my specs I should be achieving at least a steady 30 FPS as my friend with a i7-7700 & a 1080 Ti & 16 GB can have his sliders considerably higher than me and still achieve 30 frames with the same add-ons. Neither the less I have tried the following fix's so to speak: Avsim general P3D de-bugging guide / Changed refreshed rates / tried using process lasso / re formatting P3D /Tried over-clocking GPU (MSI Afterburner) / Tried changing resolution as I am using 3840 X 1080 / tried using a Affinity Mask / Tried using Nvidia Inspector. / Tried deleting shaders, scenery index's etc. I've basically tried everything I can think of to no avail 😞.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Here is a list of addons im running

1. FS Global 2018 Mesh
  2. ORBX Global Base Pack / FTX Global open LC Europe /  FTX Trees / FTX Lights / FTX Eu England / FTX EU Scotland
  3. REX Skyforce
  4. PTA
  5.  PMDG 747 / NGX etc.

Please find pictures of my settings below, thank you in advance for your help, I wouldn't post on here if i really didn't have any other avenue to pursue.

Kind Regards Harry Hopwood

display.png

world.png

lighting.png

weather.png

Edited by harryh146

Dial down the overclock to stock and compare, also did you optimize your W10 for gaming by turning off a ton of useless nonsense? There are a lot of YT videos that will guide you what to turn off.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Afternoon Dumcode, thank you for your reply. I have only over-clocked today and it was the same story as before hand. However I will try a youtube now and let you know.

Kind Regards Harry

Try turning off Vsync in your P3d settings. My understanding is that the sim is trying to set the frames to the refresh rate of your monitor which it can't maintain...uncheck it in P3d and see if there is any difference.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

ORBX England is a big culprit  and despite your autogen setting and machine don't expect too much better short of removing  ORBX England. The area around London is extremely dense. The same occurs around Paris or any high density city. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

What Lenny said.  You're asking too much.  This combination of airport and scenery is probably the toughest of just about anything out there.  Also, why 8XMSAA?  You're running 4096 on a 49" monitor - lower it down to 4 or even 2.  Waste of frames.  You can bump of your Ani to 16x - on a modern card there is no perceptible performance hit.

Ilya

• Like 1

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

1 hour ago, harryh146 said:

I've basically tried everything I can think of to no avail 😞

ok, but try to reset everything to default, rebuild again p3d.cfg, Scenery Indexes and shaders, use Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer  http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html You can temporarily disable sceneries or addons you think it could cause problems etc. Be careful with addons, do not install anything that is not compiled with P3Dv4 SDK, i tested this a lot. It can work, but it will usually cause problems - performance, stutters, or even crashes. I have almost all addons installed using XML metod, and i have smoother sim since i started doing this. What are your nvidia inspector current setting? Any other tweaks used? I have 2700K @4.8GHz + MSI 1060 Gaming X, and i'm able to mantain 30fps almost all the time, even in the most dense areas with addon airports and PMDG, FSL and Maddog, so something must be wrong there :wink:

31 minutes ago, ieydis said:

What Lenny said.  You're asking too much.  This combination of airport and scenery is probably the toughest of just about anything out there.  Also, why 8XMSAA?  You're running 4096 on a 49" monitor - lower it down to 4 or even 2.  Waste of frames.  You can bump of your Ani to 16x - on a modern card there is no perceptible performance hit.

Ilya

+1

I'll try to post all of my settings later. 

P.S. it's usualy down to something like using a 4096 resolution REX Clouds with 8xMSAA in P3D + 8xSGSS in Nvidia Inspector and maybe TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP or something like this

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

ORBX England is a big culprit  and despite your autogen setting and machine don't expect too much better short of removing  ORBX England. The area around London is extremely dense. The same occurs around Paris or any high density city. 

Lenny I have un-ticked FTX ENG from the scenery library using scenery config editor and still getting stuttering although better its still dropping for that 1 second to 11 FPS 😕

1 hour ago, ieydis said:

Ilya

Thank you for your reply ieydis, I have down bumped it down to 2X MSAA & upped the anti A to 16x now still the same issue but i will keep those settings there 🙂

1 hour ago, lodestar said:

ok, but try to reset everything to default, rebuild again p3d.cfg, Scenery Indexes and shaders, use Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer  http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html You can temporarily disable sceneries or addons you think it could cause problems etc. Be careful with addons, do not install anything that is not compiled with P3Dv4 SDK, i tested this a lot. It can work, but it will usually cause problems - performance, stutters, or even crashes. I have almost all addons installed using XML metod, and i have smoother sim since i started doing this. What are your nvidia inspector current setting? Any other tweaks used? I have 2700K @4.8GHz + MSI 1060 Gaming X, and i'm able to mantain 30fps almost all the time, even in the most dense areas with addon airports and PMDG, FSL and Maddog, so something must be wrong there :wink:

+1

I'll try to post all of my settings later. 

Hi Lodestar thank you for your reply, okay i will delete the cfg, shaders & scenery indexes later and download Lorby and just to clarify by reset everything to default do you mean un-install P3D and start again ? XML method i've never heard of this ? Currently I am running the default nvidia inspector I have played with it briefly however saw no performance gain however i am open to any settings you may have, yea all my frends have better performance than me & i know personally from my old rig its not performing as it should. Kind Regards Harry

Ok, my relevant settings:

41681383062_62d65a2ed4_b.jpg

41681382842_2e10f05831_b.jpg

41681382772_55464c09a8_b.jpg

41681382502_484d595d76_b.jpg

40822724635_ce67289482_b.jpg

41721760001_82746c6446_b.jpg

41004348834_d1f9ec0de8_b.jpg

41721759741_1de477a02c_b.jpg

No cfg tweaks, PC and OS tuned for performance. Note that vertical sync - 1/2 refresh rate in Nvidia Inspector doesn't work, i just leave it there in case LM changes their mind about full screen one day. I can use 4XSGSS in NIP, and it does help a lot with shimmering, but my GPU usage is doubled - from 40 to 80%. Not a bad thing, and i may decide to use it. But you don't need it with a higher resolution monitor. You can test it and see what your GPU is doing. With 8XSGSS i get 99 - 100% GPU usage so i'll pass on that :laugh: BTW, check what your CPU and GPU are doing and how much RAM is in use, while flying arround EGLL. Mine CPU is always arround 70% and GPU average is 40%(min 30, max 60). 

Your Monitor at 144HZ can be a problem with vsync, in theory. All above suggestions are good, try with and without vsync. You can't run it at 30hz?

12 minutes ago, harryh146 said:

by reset everything to default do you mean un-install P3D and start again ?

No, that will be the last resort. 

14 minutes ago, harryh146 said:

XML method i've never heard of this ?

See the pinned topic in "Prepar3D Tips, Tricks and How To's":

5 hours ago, lodestar said:

Ok, my relevant settings:

Evening lodestar thank you very much for your reply, I have just done a flight from LHR to AMS in the 737-700 with all your inspector & P3D settings sadly turning off V-sync and limiting frames made things worse so I switched it back on & set my frames to unlimited. This seemed to help, my experience is limiting frames on some peoples rigs works well and some it dosent more like a game of roulette as theoretically you are absolutely correct. I was getting frame drops as lower than 10 FPS 😞 please see attached pictures. Although i did get my first look at true earth 😮 😮 (Amazing). Anyway I have started some research on the XML way of thinking however with so many add-on's n still required to overwrite all of the existing BGL's, Textures / Gauges I may give it a miss for now however its definitely not off the cards.

Another thought is i am running P3D on a 10TB drive and i was wondering if this could cause any issues ? X-Plane is not running on this drive so maybe it would be worth re-installing P3D onto the C:\ drive with X-Plane? Finally i think using Lorby as you suggested and reboot my universe (V4) & add each add-on at a time and see if this helps as i have changed so many settings im also going to reset my CPU over-clock back to standard. However the only problem I can for-see in doing this is my base clock runs at 3.6 GHz and Intel Turbo will crank all 8 cores up to 4.3 GHz and from what i've read and heard P3D does not utilise Turbo mode very well, would i be better off running standard Turbo or over-cloking to the turbo max freq of 4.3? Once again thank you for your help !! Kind Regards Harry

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Edited by harryh146

I have a 7820x system and a 1080ti as well. I had pretty bad performance when I was running mechanical drives. I put p3d on a 1tb SSD and it's running great now.

--Sean Hart

Make sure there is nothing eating up your CPU in the background as well. Process lasso is free and will show active processes and will also shut down background processes while gaming automatically

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

Have you tried unchecking "vsync" in your P3D settings? Maybe your sim is trying to keep up with the refresh rate of your monitor? This would cause frame rates to decrease when the fps cannot be maintained, in this case 144 fps.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I run a 28inch 4k monitor set at 30hrz FPS locked at 30, no AM only 8.5 LOD tweak most settings at max, AVD high, 2xmssa, with all ORBX UK WALES SCOTLAND ALL US REGIONS BASE VECTOR EU OLC GERMANY N&S AND NOW NETHERLANDS REAL EARTH HD,

Try running task manager in the foreground with P3D and see what else is running that my be using CPU cycles, I use Riva Tuner to check my tweaks and performance.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, harryh146 said:

im also going to reset my CPU over-clock back to standard. However the only problem I can for-see in doing this is my base clock runs at 3.6 GHz and Intel Turbo will crank all 8 cores up to 4.3 GHz and from what i've read and heard P3D does not utilise Turbo mode very well, would i be better off running standard Turbo or over-cloking to the turbo max freq of 4.3?

You don't need to do that, if stable and temps are ok, leave it a 4.8GHz, CPU overclocking is important for FS in my opinion. I would investigate background processes, you have 187 processes running in above screenshot. I have 39 right now, after my PC was up for a couple of hours - just to compare. Take a look here https://www.tweakhound.com/  See his tweaking guides for windows, i would highly recommend all of his guides, i'm using them for years. See his recommendations on how to manage what will startup with windows and which processes can be disabled or set to manual mode. The best thing would be to spend some time and follow all of his advice.

Also, your CPU is runing at 100%, check what is using it most in task manager. It could be due to unlimited FPS, but this causes my GPU to have a very high usage, not CPU. It could be becouse of P3D settings, but check what uses your CPU so much