Sign in to follow this  
godimaginedme

747 Tutorial Videos

I didn't realise window inspections were part of the routine. I guess cracks, delamination and cleanliness are all included. Bug splatter is a big problem in warmer countries. We have some big bugs here in Australia. Fortunately, it's mostly a seasonal thing. 

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Yep, I've personally never seen them do a bug wash during normal ops. IRS got to be because the windows are so high off of the ground.

For bug splats, if we couldn't get a scissor lift or cherry picker in front of the nose to clean the windows, we'd just grab a bucket of water and throw it out the top hatch (sans bucket) and turn on the wipers. If that didn't work, we'd get a get a squeegie on a long stick (and try not to fall out the hatch).

767's and 737's were a lot easier... we'd just open the side windows.

Edited by Qavion2

12 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

For bug splats, if we couldn't get a scissor lift or cherry picker in front of the nose to clean the windows, we'd just grab a bucket of water and throw it out the top hatch (sans bucket) and turn on the wipers. If that didn't work, we'd get a get a squeegie on a long stick (and try not to fall out the hatch).

767's and 737's were a lot easier... we'd just open the side windows.

Hahaha that's awesome

Unusual rainshower

... or if we were too lazy to grab a bucket from the toolcrib or pushed for time, we'd use leftover bottles of water from Business Class. A more expensive improvisation (but not nearly as expensive as delaying an aircraft departure). Unfortunately, we had no control over who got wet on the tarmac below 😊

Edited by Qavion2

Hahaha. That's pretty cool. The window sprayers work on our planes, but I find that they do more harm than good!

I'm not sure what kind of fluid they put in the windshield washer bottle. I'm wondering if it has any antifreeze in it. In this case, we won't want the people on the tarmac to have any contact with it.

Hey folks,

Sorry it took so long, but here is the Captain Preflight Flow video. During the "Real Time," ignore the mouse movements. Enjoy! The next video should be up shortly; it'll be the FO Preflight Flow.

• Upvote 1

More great tips, thanks! I like the one about the rotary light switches (I could never remember those).

I just noticed that your printer paper is getting a little low (the indicator is close to empty and the red stripe is showing on the paper) 😉

Just a few questions and tips (if you didn't already know)... 😉

I've noticed in the past that our flight crews make sure the Jettison Fuel To Remain knob is wound fully anticlockwise. Do you have any procedures like this?

Do you take note of which PRESS lights remain not illuminated on the Fuel Panel? This could give you a clue as to what type of CWT scavenge pump system has been fitted (hydromechanical or electrical).

Do you normally check to make sure that the LDG ALT PUSH ON button is not active (by checking the Upper EICAS indications?)

Is the autoland status indicator (beneath the RMI on the captain's panel) checked during this particular panel scan, or is it done earlier?

A few tips:

Leaving Pack #1 on gives a better airflow to the cockpit (There are baffles in the pack plenum to direct most of pack #1 air to the cockpit). With another pack on, the air will find its way around the baffles, but at a slower flow rate).

I have noticed that, on rare occasions, flipping the guarded toggle switch covers closed, doesn't always move the switch to its intended position. Fortunately, in most cases, the EICAS gives you warning of wrong positions. Sometimes I move the switch independently of the guard, then close the guard, especially with the stab trim cutout switches.

On passenger aircraft, selecting the PA receive button is a good tip (even though your Cabin Interphone Panel should advise you that PA is in use).

Cheers

JHW

Interesting regarding the Jettison Fuel to Remain Knob. I always thought that it was an 'infinity' knob and could be turned without end. I'll check it out the next time I fly -- but we do not have such a procedure. 

We do check the pumps that do not show a PRESS light when the APU is running. They should be the main 2 & 3 AFT boost pumps. As far as the scavenge pumps in the CWT, I was told that they are electrical.

We do verify on the EICAS that the LDG ALT PUSH ON button in the correct setting. (normally we'd just check this in the sim since they're always doing non-normals, but technically we are required to check)

There is an autoland placard under the RMI on the captain's side showing what the airplane is certified for. It goes up to CAT IIIB.

Interesting about Pack 1, I have wondered. I think that had a role to play with the UPS crash in Dubai. 

You are right about flipping guarded switches. That happens to the Emergency Lights all the time. 

Thanks!

I have a question, its not really that important but in your full flight video, you can hear the oxygen noise come out of the speaker when you test it. However when I try this I cannot replicate the sound coming from the speaker. I can obviously hear the sound normally when I push the test button on the mask.

1 hour ago, JRS182 said:

I have a question, its not really that important but in your full flight video, you can hear the oxygen noise come out of the speaker when you test it. However when I try this I cannot replicate the sound coming from the speaker. I can obviously hear the sound normally when I push the test button on the mask.

No worries, here's what you do:

Ensure your speaker is on
Press the Black tab (Test/Reset Button) on the Oxygen mask and ensure it stays down
Press the Oxygen mask's Red tab by the oxygen hose on the mask (it looks like small red circle, and you should see the Oxygen mask move down a little bit)
Once it has been pressed down, hold your mouse button down, and move it off of the Oxygen mask (this will keep the mask pressed down) -- Once your mouse is off of the click spot, you can release your mouse button
Go to your radio panel and press the Push to Talk button to the Down position (it says INT)

You should then hear the oxygen over the speaker!

Edited by godimaginedme
  • Like 1