Sign in to follow this  
carbonbasedlifeform

Why didn't DTG just stop developing instead of completely removing it from Steam?

As far as I can tell, there are a lot of pretty unsuccessful/low-selling games on Steam. They aren't removed though. Maybe someone can correct me about Steam's policies, but I haven't heard of indie developers removing their games from Steam because of hosting fees or anything like that.

Having played FSW, I think it was functional. I know they were testing career mode, but even that could have been stripped and they could have tidied up a few bugs. FSX still takes tons of tweaking/adjustments (i.e., it has bugs).

IMO, the following are possiblities:

1. They want to retain the rights to FSX and don't want to confuse consumers or undermine FSX sales.
  2. They plan on offloading part of their rights and removing FSW is part of the deal.

Why remove it completely from Steam?

My guess is that their licence runs out on May 24. In other words, it reverts back to Microsoft.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, Christopher Low said:

My guess is that their licence runs out on May 24. In other words, it reverts back to Microsoft.

Probably... or maybe - since they've stopped development of it, they've probably also stopped support, which in turns automatically stops further sales.

Purely speculating here... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

The company's accounts (to 31 March 2017) show an outstanding royalty payment of over £1.3 million in respect of "technology being used in one of the company's simulator products". This must be the Microsoft tech. This is repayable in instalments by 24 Dec 2018.

It seems reasonable to suppose that an instalment was payable by 24 June but that they would have to give a month's notice of any decision to default on the payment. Hence the decision to withdraw it from sale on 24 May as they would be legally barred from doing so subsequent to that date after which the technology will revert back to Microsoft.

This information, incidentally, is freely available on the Companies House website.

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

1 hour ago, uncle_adolph said:

The company's accounts (to 31 March 2017) show an outstanding royalty payment of over £1.3 million in respect of "technology being used in one of the company's simulator products". This must be the Microsoft tech. This is repayable in instalments by 24 Dec 2018.

Very interesting. What about FSX:SE? Is it part of the license that is reverted back? Will it continue to be sold on Steam? And will there be some other company interested in re-acquiring the license from Microsoft?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

FSX:SE is a separate product and isn't affected by the closure of FSW.

The licence for FSX:SE didn't allow for any further development of the core engine, that's why FSW was created instead and licensed separately.

Who knows if Dovetail have even given up the license? It may be that Dovetail are removing FSW from sale to radically re-program the core engine in peace, without having the constant demands for roadmaps, updates, SDK's and so on.

• Upvote 1

They'd have a bit of a job when they've sacked the FSW team!

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

I think there attention is now focused on the fishing sim and Train sim. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, uncle_adolph said:

They'd have a bit of a job when they've sacked the FSW team!

Says who? I haven't seen a statement from DTG which mentions it?

22 minutes ago, A32xx said:

Says who? I haven't seen a statement from DTG which mentions it?

You won't get a company volunteering that sort of information.

But it's pretty much common knowledge and confirmed by Mathijs Kok on the Aerosoft forum.

Edited by uncle_adolph
Name spelt incorrectly!

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

1 minute ago, uncle_adolph said:

But it's pretty much common knowledge and confirmed by Mattijs Kok on the Aerosoft forum.

So just a rumour, then. Aerosoft don't employ anyone at Dovetail Games, or vice-versa.

14 minutes ago, A32xx said:

So just a rumour, then. Aerosoft don't employ anyone at Dovetail Games, or vice-versa.

You think that people within the same niche industry don't know what's going on elsewhere?

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

21 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Microsoft sold the rites to any further development of MSFS platform to DTG they out bid other interested party', and I don`t see them buying it back there focus since dropping flight sim has been on game console market, and signing up game studios to develop for the X BOX.

That is ware the big money is nowadays one top title on the game console has more in game players than all the flight sims put together.     

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

31 minutes ago, uncle_adolph said:

You think that people within the same niche industry don't know what's going on elsewhere?

I'm sure of it in this case. What Mathjis actually said was: "Most of the people who worked on the project are fired now and we lost a potentially good platform."

Followed by: "If I sound bitter.... yeah, perhaps I am." Meaning that his judgement may have been clouded at that time, and in any case, his whole article was his opinion, not a factual report.

Edited by A32xx

13 minutes ago, A32xx said:

I'm sure of it in this case. What Mathjis actually said was: "Most of the people who worked on the project are fired now and we lost a potentially good platform."

Followed by: "If I sound bitter.... yeah, perhaps I am." Meaning that his judgement may have been clouded at that time, and in any case, his whole article was his opinion, not a factual report.

I think you are missing a bigger point; even if the entire team still exists, what about the relations they have with the flight sim community, can you seriously see them in two or three years coming out with something like:

'Hello Flight Sim fans, it's your old friends DTG, remember that scaled back half a sim we sold (a point you seem to be somewhat forgetful on) you three years ago.  Well we know that we said we had abandoned it...but surprise, we have actually been developing in secret now it's back and includes a helicopter'

To what end?  People in the community will be even more invested in P3Dv5 (probably) or X-Plane 12, the much touted 'new blood' doesn't exist in any great numbers, or it certainly wasn't enough to keep FSW around, even the Aerosoft arcade flight sim (Holiday flight simulator) has almost no interest at all on Steam.

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley