Sign in to follow this  
Goatman24

Pros and Cons to getting Samsung 49" 32:9 Monitor

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Goatman24 said:

Good news! Monitor arrived today and I'm elated at how nice the picture looks. Will need some fine tuning and mounting work to get it into proper place but I am ecstatic about how nice it flies. 

Glad I got it. Thanks for everybody's input. 

Mitch

Mitch, 

I saw the Samsung 49 at the local Microsoft store today. I run 3x24 Dells and while I'm been very accustomed to the 3-monitor setup for several years, the notorious center bezel is a constant nuisance. I've been unable to locate any videos on YouTube for a FSX/P3D Samsung 49 demo. Is there any chance you could post something? Many thanks, Les Parson

Les, though I have not posted any video's myself before. I will see if I can get some help and try to do it for you by the weekend if possible. 

Mitch

Okay, we did shoot a video to Youtube but not like we wanted to. My friend's memory card was borrowed by somebody that didn't give it back. So, we used a regular camera and took video with it. It's not really clear so we will attempt again and post it hopefully within a few days. This video really doesn't do it justice. 

I've got everything maxed out except traffic. Water is set at about 50% but when we get the better video it should show it off much better. 

MItch

7 minutes ago, Goatman24 said:

Okay, we did shoot a video to Youtube but not like we wanted to. My friend's memory card was borrowed by somebody that didn't give it back. So, we used a regular camera and took video with it. It's not really clear so we will attempt again and post it hopefully within a few days. This video really doesn't do it justice. 

I've got everything maxed out except traffic. Water is set at about 50% but when we get the better video it should show it off much better. 

MItch

Mitch, Thanks very much. This is informative. Do you happen to know what the field of view (degrees) is? I'm trying to determine the f-o-v difference between the Samsung 49 and the 3X24 Dells I currently have. 

15 hours ago, Les Parson said:

Do you happen to know what the field of view (degrees) is? I'm trying to determine the f-o-v difference between the Samsung 49 and the 3X24 Dells I currently have. 

The fov depends on how far away you sit. Assuming 70cm it is about 80 degrees*. This contrasts with the 3-way, which will be about 98 degrees. You can calculate the field of view using this formula:

fov = 2 x arctan(w / 2d)

(w = width, d = viewing distance)

[*I think it is slightly more in principle as the monitor is curved and at 70cm you are inside the radius of the curve (which is 90cm). I don't know how to calculate the difference but drawing it to scale, it looks trivial.]

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

We hopefully will have a new video this evening and I will post the specifics on the FOV. I removed the back portion of my cockpit so the next video will be from right behind my head in the center. Picture quality should be much better. 

Mitch

Ok, video is loading onto Youtube now. Roughly will take another hour but much better looking. 

We think we came up with a FOV of 59.69 if our math is correct. 

Distance of screen from camera lens is 41". (This is actually at about the back of my head when flying.) The curvature of the screen is 47" wide. 

Mitch

11 hours ago, Goatman24 said:

Here it is guys:

Great, thanks. The video is outstanding. I may be using some incorrect terminology by field-of-view (FOV). What I'm really interested in is peripheral viewing comparison between the Samsung 49 and my 3x24 Dell setup. If you consider regular human peripheral vision of approximately 160-180 degrees (left shoulder to right shoulder), how would the two compare? I will return to your earlier equation and try and compare that way. By the way, which airport and runway are you using for this sample? Thanks again for all your efforts. 

Les, I think what you are asking is how much image data can you see horizontally. This is determined by the number of pixels on the monitor and the zoom ratio you have set in the sim.

The angle in the formula that Mark listed is the angle of the image that your eye is taking in. As you can see this is only dependent on the width of the item and the distance that your eye is from it. That is the same whether you are looking at a monitor or a picture on the wall.

If you are looking for the former you can test this yourself since you have 3 monitors. I am assuming that you use your 3 monitors as 1 single wide monitor with Nvidia Surround Mode. If you turn off your two outer monitors you lose that side imagery or wider sim field of view which is so useful when taxiing and turning to final. If you add up the horizontal pixel count of your three monitors and compare this to any monitor that you are considering you will be able to tell what the image will be like on the new monitor. If your 3 monitor pixel count is higher than a new monitor, then will see less on the new monitor. Works the same way for the vertical but in this case you don't total the pixels for the 3 monitors.

I used to have a 3 monitor setup for years. I got tired of the bezels and wanted to see more vertical image so I got a 4k monitor. The 4k monitor had the same horizontal pixel count as my 3 monitor setup and I had the same image span horizontally. However the vertical pixel count was twice as large so now I could see outside the windscreen and also the panel without having to continously scroll up and down. Not to mention that I no longer had to fight gauges and buttons being behind bezels.

Mitch here, has a home cockpit setup so he doesn't need the extra vertical image for the panel. This extra wide screen looks perfect for his setup.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Got it, thanks very much. I presently have 5740 X 1080. I believe the 49" is 3840 X 1080. 

10 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

If your 3 monitor pixel count is higher than a new monitor, then will see less on the new monitor. Works the same way for the vertical but in this case you don't total the pixels for the 3 monitors.

I am reminded of the 'up to 11' conversation in This is Spinal Tap :blink:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro