Sign in to follow this  
Goatman24

Pros and Cons to getting Samsung 49" 32:9 Monitor

I'm looking at the Samsung 49" 32:9 monitor for using on my cockpit setup for FSX and was hoping to get some advice here. 

I'm currently using two AL2216W Acer monitors. I hate the bezel in the middle and like the idea of having one continuous curved screen across the front. 
I have a roof from the interior of an SUV that I picked up at a junk yard that appears to have the same or similar radius that this monitor has. 

I'm wondering how the picture quality will fare with this new unit compared to what I have. 

I'm also wondering how the screen will fill up using FSX. Would there be black areas on the ends? Would the picture be stretched? 

Existing monitor specs and new specs:
Acer = https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-al2216w-lcd-monitor-22/specs/
Samsung = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6DR2502&cm_re=samsung_49_curved-_-24-022-584-_-Product

Any help would be appreciated.
Mitch

Edited by Goatman24

Hallo Mitch

Please also have a look at the resolution.
The Acer is 22" 16:10 1680x1050. That is 90pixels per vertical inch.
The Samsung is 49" 32:9 3840x1080. That is 81pixels per vertical inch.

So the Samsung has lower resolution per inch. Most people tend to have higher resolution when buying a new monitor. That is why the 21:9 34" and 35" 3440x1440 are getting more popular.

Be aware of this and decide what is important for you.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

It is going to be a tough decision. I'm trying to look at all aspects like what you posted. It's a shame we can't somehow try these units out first before buying. The pixels being about 10% less seems to be the main negative while having many positives. The major being that it will fill my space up perfectly with no bezels. I have no complaints about my picture quality now but am wondering how much worse will it look. The price on the Samsung is good till Wednesday so I will wait till then to decide. 

Thanks for the input. 

Mitch

Why not just add another Acer monitor to your existing setup (no bezel in the middle then)? If it helps, try checking out a 27" 1920x1080 monitor - they have approximately the same pixel density as the 49" Samsung. When I last upgraded my monitor, I looked at a 27" full HD and didn't like it because of the visible pixels.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Or another suggestion. Get a curved 34" or 35" UWQHD 3440x1440 as center monitor, and use the existing acer's as side panels (left and right), where resolution matters less.

Edited by oemlegoem

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

1 hour ago, oemlegoem said:

Or another suggestion. Get a curved 34" or 35" UWQHD 3440x1440 as center monitor, and use the existing acer's as side panels (left and right), where resolution matters less.

Which will only work if you run three independent views. And you would also be pushing twice as many pixels, which is an awful lot. I doubt the performance would be acceptable.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

17 hours ago, Goatman24 said:

I have no complaints about my picture quality now but am wondering how much worse will it look

I think that's a pessimistic way to frame your expectations! I run three 32" 1080p monitors and the pixel density is 25% lower than the monitor you are looking at but still fine for a flight sim. It depends on where you sit, of course. I sit about 70cm away from my screens.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've spent a lot setting up my cockpit for the size that it is. I just like the idea of having one clean window to look out from with no bezels etc.. This will only be used for FSX. My current seating is about 30" away from the screen. More if you take into consideration the co-pilot's side. That's even more than what you have Mark. 

These are my system specs: Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G. I'm currently using a 3rd monitor for my gauges, ATC etc.. 

I did consider using 3 monitors for my forward view but opted for this instead. 

I'm leaning towards going forward with it. I'll post my results (Good or bad). 

Thanks again guys. 

Mitch 

If you go for it, let us know what you think of it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Folks,

Wow - the mother of all wide screens...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

You'll need a seriously beefy PC to run that resolution well. I've got a GTX980 4GB and I'm almost maxing it's graphics memory at 1440p, along with my 4.5 GHz processor and it won't maintain 30 fps unless I start to dial things back quite a bit. I think running a higher resolution makes you more prone to OOM too, so you should probably consider a move to P3Dv4 for both OOM and performance reasons.

Beyond FSX you may have issues with some software running such a wide aspect ratio, it can screw up user interfaces in some software and other software just won't recognise it and run either stretched or with black bars. Otherwise it's going to look awesome 🙂

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

You'll need a seriously beefy PC to run that resolution well.

It's only 12.5% more pixels than a QHD monitor. As long as he's conservative with his settings, his i7-4790k/GTX1060 combo 1060 should manage that.

4 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I think running a higher resolution makes you more prone to OOM too

There are plenty of people running FSX successfully at 4k - the problem with higher resolutions tends to be higher CPU/GPU usage rather than higher VAS usage (2D panels are, apparently, the only exception to this).

I know this is probably a stupid question but, will this monitor come with HDMI or DP cables? I tried looking everywhere including the online manual with no information on it. I wanna make sure I'm not held up by not having everything I need. Also, which is best to use? 

Tracking says it will be here Thursday. 

Mitch

16 hours ago, Goatman24 said:

I know this is probably a stupid question but, will this monitor come with HDMI or DP cables?

According to the specs on the Samsung website (https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/):

2 HDMI, 1 DP, 1 Mini DP

Good news! Monitor arrived today and I'm elated at how nice the picture looks. Will need some fine tuning and mounting work to get it into proper place but I am ecstatic about how nice it flies. 

Glad I got it. Thanks for everybody's input. 

Mitch