Sign in to follow this  
aaronkia

Lighting problem?

Hi PMDG, 

If you compare the official PMDG image with my own image from P3Dv4 you can see there is a difference in the way the lights illuminate the ground. In the PMDG picture the red/green and white lighting is clearly separate on the ground but my lights do not show the same. Also, the landing light color is different. I have recreated the same picture to show the clear differences.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vXYgOY5fQoC7CqHsSZ8xNYJ9Wm6gFLK-86hqlRz2BPM/edit?usp=sharing

Please could you let me know how to fix this so my lights look the same?

Many thanks,

Aaron

Hello Aaron,

it looks like you are not having Dynamic Lighting activated... Is this even P3Dv4? Knowing absolutely nothing about your setup and system only allows guesses on my/our end. 

Hi Ephedrin, 

I do have dynamic lighting activated and it is in P3Dv4. My setup/system is Windows 10, i7700, GTX 1070. Interestingly when looking on YouTube at other people's PMDG 777, some people have the same lighting problem as me and some don't...

my P3D v4.2 777 reflects light pretty much like that PMDG image.  I imagine it may have to do with users preferences/set up of P3D

Yes there are definitely differences in the way addon airports are modeled, if reshade or PTA is used, there are really a lot of possibilities that make it hard to find out. but it also looks like different resolutions in the two pictures. I will check it in a minute on my system.. I barely watch my airplanes from the outside so I can't even tell how it looks on my side 😄 

Aaron, mine looks rather like yours. My flares are like PMDG's, but the Nav lights look like yours. No idea what it takes to make the lights look like on the picture. But I use a PTA preset. Maybe someone from PMDG can tell us their settings for the screenshots.

Edited by Ephedrin

I'm pretty sure PTA doesn't have an impact as I have tried with it disabled and enabled with no difference.

Here are two links of videos that show the same nav lighting on the ground as the PMDG image with the seemingly higher resolution lighting and different color landing lights:

First video at 1:05:00 

Second video also shows the landing light color difference at 52:46

I'm wondering if there is some kind of specific set up needed within the FMC? 

16 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Maybe someone from PMDG can tell us their settings for the screenshots.

Hopefully PMDG will reply tomorrow 

8 hours ago, aaronkia said:

Could someone from PMDG give their thoughts? Thanks

Real names on the forum please first and last as per regulations.

If you want to draw our attention to something the proper way to do it is via the ticketing system (support.precisionmanuals.com) and not the forum. Posts in the forum might go unnoticed by us.

The screenshot from us is not from P3Dv4 with dynamic lights. This screenshot is with the lighting system used in the FSX/P3Dv3 platforms. This particular screen is from FSX I believe. You are comparing two different technologies.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for your reply and info. 

Is there anyway of releasing an update P3Dv4 so the lights look the same? I think it looks much better in my opinion and more realistic than how it currently shows in P3Dv4 which is almost a downgrade when comparing to previous versions. 

Many thanks

Aaron K

24 minutes ago, aaronkia said:

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for your reply and info. 

Is there anyway of releasing an update P3Dv4 so the lights look the same? I think it looks much better in my opinion and more realistic than how it currently shows in P3Dv4 which is almost a downgrade when comparing to previous versions. 

Many thanks

Aaron K

Aaron, not possible. For P3Dv4 we use the dynamic lighting engine build in the platform.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com