Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Thirty years ago...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/04/28/hawaii-news/remembering-aloha-airlines-flight-243/?HSA=f554f3ea2ef4a0edbd037fe7a41b6fd0107f1a6c

That was the incident that began the grounding of jet airliners after being cycled out due to the number of landings and takeoffs it has made.  

Our airport here in Roswell is a graveyard for such aircraft.  One of our three runways was shut down several years ago to make additional storage space for these aircraft.

We have a company that scavenges reuseable parts and resells them  Back when I was a young man in my 60s and still doing a lot of hiking and backpacking  I got flare/red smoke device from them to carry with me in the mountains in case I ever needed an emergency airlift.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Thanks for bringing this to the foreground, Noel. I remember this incident as I'd just turned 39 a few months prior.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I went to Mimi's retirement party a few years back 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

God was in a good mood that day. Can't think of a better reason to believe. Lets' not forget Boeing Engineering also. What a day.

Cheers,

22 hours ago, birdguy said:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/04/28/hawaii-news/remembering-aloha-airlines-flight-243/?HSA=f554f3ea2ef4a0edbd037fe7a41b6fd0107f1a6c

That was the incident that began the grounding of jet airliners after being cycled out due to the number of landings and takeoffs it has made.  

Our airport here in Roswell is a graveyard for such aircraft.  One of our three runways was shut down several years ago to make additional storage space for these aircraft.

We have a company that scavenges reuseable parts and resells them  Back when I was a young man in my 60s and still doing a lot of hiking and backpacking  I got flare/red smoke device from them to carry with me in the mountains in case I ever needed an emergency airlift.

Noel

A flight attendant kidded with me that it was the Aloha Airlines Pop Top, while she was trying to flirt with me and relieve boredom at 35,000 feet.  I flew so often in those days on Southwest's 737's that some flight crew members would recognize me and come chat with me once they had a break from their cabin duties. As a hotelier, they knew I was in the tourism business, the hotels and airlines have worked so closely together since air travel was born.  I was Holiday Inn's Lead Business Systems instructor, along with 10 other colleagues we led business systems training teams worldwide in the 90's, automating the hotel industry using software built out of airline software.  I ended my career via Promus/Doubletree and Best Western, before settling down steering my efforts towards the insurance industry and retail industry.  I traveled less, just every two years, a burned out road warrior....