Sign in to follow this  
Julian Tangney

Looking to change to P3D

Hi all. I have been playing MS FSX for quite a long time now. I have an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 950m. I get around 20-50fps with the PMDG 737 and Rex4 texture direct. everything else is vanilla except a few freeware airports and Simstall. I'm looking to change to P3D before I go crazy with purchasing add-ons (i know purchasing more add-ons will affect my FPS but ill cross that bridge when I get there) but I want to know, will changing to P3D affect my performance, if so how much? Whats the biggest parts that factor in.I'm looking forward to what people have to say thank you.  

I recently switched from FSX to P3Dv4.2.

I have ORBX Global, Vector, North America LC, Several Add on airports like FlyTampa's new KBOS, and Latin VFR KMIA, Also ActiveSky and UTL. On average in FSX I would be at about 23 FPS, In P3D I average 60 FPS, no stutters, no CTD. In PMDG 777 arriving KBOS, I average 36-41 FPS. At KMIA, about 51 FPS.

Thus, I would definitely conclude the move to P3DV4.2 was the right one for me.

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps

30 minutes ago, Bob Marton said:

I have ORBX Global, Vector, North America LC, Several Add on airports like FlyTampa's new KBOS, and Latin VFR KMIA, Also ActiveSky and UTL. On average in FSX I would be at about 23 FPS, In P3D I average 60 FPS, no stutters, no CTD. In PMDG 777 arriving KBOS, I average 36-41 FPS. At KMIA, about 51 FPS.

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps

WOW,

to not include the CPU and speed in a basic PC spec especially in a flight sim forum is baffling to me.🤯

Edited by pracines

2 hours ago, Julian Tangney said:

Hi all. I have been playing MS FSX for quite a long time now. I have an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 950m. I get around 20-50fps with the PMDG 737 and Rex4 texture direct. everything else is vanilla except a few freeware airports and Simstall. I'm looking to change to P3D before I go crazy with purchasing add-ons (i know purchasing more add-ons will affect my FPS but ill cross that bridge when I get there) but I want to know, will changing to P3D affect my performance, if so how much? Whats the biggest parts that factor in.I'm looking forward to what people have to say thank you.  

my oldest PC just got a new Vcard  ,,, radeon RX580 8gb ram the CPU its only a dual core i3 7300 runing at 4ghz and  8 GB ram 2133 speed  P3D 4.2 runs smooth as silk not maxed out but alot better than FSX SE ....

Edited by rtodepart
  • Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

1 hour ago, rtodepart said:

my oldest PC just got a new Vcard  ,,, radeon RX580 8gb ram the CPU its only a dual core i3 7300 runing at 4ghz and  8 GB ram 2133 speed  P3D 4.2 runs smooth as silk not maxed out but alot better than FSX SE ....

thanks

2 hours ago, Bob Marton said:

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps

so P3D will run better and smoother than FSX?

P3D is a better option when compared to FSX. Considering that your not that invested yet, I would also try the free XP11 demo to see if its something for you.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

P3D is a better option when compared to FSX. Considering that your not that invested yet, I would also try the free XP11 demo to see if its something for you.

Are you  affiliated with XP11 in any way?

Edited by MaDDogz
  • Like 1

Luke Pype

5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

XP 11 needs a much better PC than FSX or P3D. Look at the recommended specs for it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 hours ago, pracines said:

WOW,

to not include the CPU and speed in a basic PC spec especially in a flight sim forum is baffling to me.🤯

I was half asleep when i posted. here is info:

i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Six Core

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 10:53 PM, MaDDogz said:

Are you  affiliated with XP11 in any way?

nope id be willing to give it a try but for me, xpl11 doesn't quite fit what I want to do I love the 777 and 737 and if I get p3d they will basically be the only planes I will fly in xpl11 other than the Zibo 737 (or whatever its called) there isn't much else that interests me. don't get me wrong xpl11 looks amazing but for me, I just think p3ds more my style.

Be aware that P3DV4 needs a better video card than FSX.. more horsepower and more memory.

I upgraded my GTX 770 to a 1070,  but my 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU was just fine.. :cool:

Bert

Xp11 a great option for GA flying but for heavy metal you got to go with p3dv4.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Be aware that P3DV4 needs a better video card than FSX.. more horsepower and more memory.

I upgraded my GTX 770 to a 1070,  but my 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU was just fine.. :cool:

When I had the chance to buy a second-hand 1080 a year ago I jumped at it. But I was running FSX SP2 and when I ran my test scenario the fps were no better with the 8Gb card than with my earlier 3Gb 780. FSX cannot take advantage of better graphics cards whereas P3D v3.x and v4 of course can benefit quite a bit. I got better fps with the same test in P3D even with more scenery objects.

The rest of my 4.5 year-old system remain the same. See my sig.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather