Sign in to follow this  
stevenpow

Configuring vectors

Is there a way to have a pilot2ATC  not vector me off course so that I can fly the full flight plan. I had an issue yesterday where I was at 36,000 feet I just started to  descend  and pilot2ATC vectored me into one straight-line to the approach taking me off course of the flight plan that would have allowed me to get down to 4000 feet where I needed to be needless to say I could not make it to 4000 feet with the straight-line.

Thank You

Steven Pow

Do you have the flight plan you were on with the STAR and Approach?  I can have a look to see how to avoid this in the future.

Thanks,

Dave

13 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Do you have the flight plan you were on with the STAR and Approach?  I can have a look to see how to avoid this in the future.

This is worrying. I don't understand why it would do this in the first place? Surely you'd only get vectors "direct" if you requested them? Else what is the point of filing a proper flight plan and getting or choosing STAR and Approach?

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

57 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

This is worrying. I don't understand why it would do this in the first place? Surely you'd only get vectors "direct" if you requested them? Else what is the point of filing a proper flight plan and getting or choosing STAR and Approach?

Pete

Isn't that how they, generally, do it at busy US airports?  I mean, you usually fly part of the STAR but, at some point, you're vectored off the STAR for sequencing.  The trick for the arrival controllers is that they have to consider what is a plausible descent rate for the type of aircraft given how much it shortens the route.  The pilot can only do so much.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hey  guys I’ve been using this program for over a year now and this is the first time it did something to this degree so I’m sure it’s something either I selected with in the settings or just one of those things that happen once in a while so I don’t really think it’s something that’s a problem and if it is something thats a problem I’m sure Dave will fix it very quickly like he always does so I’m good with that. 

Thank You

Steven Pow

44 minutes ago, stevenpow said:

Hey  guys I’ve been using this program for over a year now and this is the first time it did something to this degree so I’m sure it’s something either I selected with in the settings or just one of those things that happen once in a while so I don’t really think it’s something that’s a problem and if it is something thats a problem I’m sure Dave will fix it very quickly like he always does so I’m good with that. 

Agreed, though, I hope the solution is that you always fly the entire STAR.  Aircraft do get vectored and that's realistic.  What he needs to do is do some kind of calculation as to what a reasonable descent rate is and have the software plan accordingly.  Controllers have a pretty good sense for this.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

1 hour ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Isn't that how they, generally, do it at busy US airports?  I mean, you usually fly part of the STAR but, at some point, you're vectored off the STAR for sequencing.

Yes, Europe too. But I'm pretty sure this is certainly after you've got to the STAR, not just when you've started initial descent -- though it depends on your cruise altitude I suppose.  And the vectoring wouldn't normally be direct to the IAF or FAF for the Approach. Often it is even more circuitous than the STAR you were on, in order to get you in line during busy periods. Of course at really busy airports like EGLL you are instead often on a hold doing circuits with gentle descents.

But yes, it would be nice for P2A to occasionally surprise you with a vectored arrival, maybe longer or shorter, descent needs being taken into account in the latter case.

22 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Agreed, though, I hope the solution is that you always fly the entire STAR.  Aircraft do get vectored and that's realistic.  What he needs to do is do some kind of calculation as to what a reasonable descent rate is and have the software plan accordingly.

Yes, agreed. :-)

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I probably would not be flying xplane if it weren’t for pilot2ATC, I don’t really fly online and I have tried all of the other ATC programs out there for xplane this program is top notch.  I did spent a good amount on getting the ivona sound voices but it was definitely well worth it   

Thank You

Steven Pow

& all the above did not know you were "talking" about xplane ............... thanks for the "confession" & maybe it's important to mention your "bent" upfront !!

for now, cheers

john martin

12 minutes ago, vadriver said:

& all the above did not know you were "talking" about xplane ............... thanks for the "confession" & maybe it's important to mention your "bent" upfront !!

????

Thank You

Steven Pow

1 hour ago, vadriver said:

Not sure that matters unless there's special X-Plane logic for vectoring.

Gregg Seipp

Steven,

Thanks for sending the flight plan and details of the problem.

In this particular case, there was a bug that had the controller begin vectors too early.  They should have begun near the end of the STAR for a "manual transition" to the final approach.  That is now fixed.

I will also be checking the logic to be sure it is properly considering the descent rate when beginning the vectors.

Dave

17 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Steven,

In this particular case, there was a bug that had the controller begin vectors too early.  They should have begun near the end of the STAR for a "manual transition" to the final approach.  That is now fixed.

I will also be checking the logic to be sure it is properly considering the descent rate when beginning the vectors.

Dave

Hey Dave thank you very much, as always you fix the problem in a timely manner much appreciated. 

Thank You

Steven Pow

17 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Steven,

Dave

Hey Dave thank you very much, as always you fix the problem in a timely manner much appreciated. 

Thank You

Steven Pow