Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Froogle's take on FSW and possible impact on P3D

4 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

As others here have pointed out, DTG offered a completely different business model. It is like Chevy suing Toyota for lost Corvette sales because of the Prius. Completely different model.

Well I hate math but you make a good point. No worries about not being a lawyer. None of us yahooos are either.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Froogle needs a good stiff kick for throwing something so ludicrous out on the web.

That being said, there is always a possibility that LM will eventually ask for proof of academic involvement to purchase such a P3D license, which BTW is the norm for such licenses elsewhere. As for LM retroactively asking all such existing license holders to do so just isn't going to happen.  Considering that LM forces you to pony up for a whole new license every few years, such a change in licensing enforcement would have its "desired" effect eventually.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

24 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

Again, onus is on DTG to prove lost revenue to the offered academic license

This was the main point of my post as well. I also think LM would have strong arguments that DTG made loads of mistakes that hurt sales, and I doubt DTG could prove those errors didn't hurt sales far more than any improper academic sales of P3D.

Furthermore many people buy more than one flight simulator because they all have different strengths. Someone buying P3D doesn't mean they would not also buy FSW if they thought that FSW had some interesting and unique capabilities.

Barry Friedman

I'm not sure I understand the legal theory behind such a suit.  LM has an agreement with MS to use MS's property or rights.  A violation would seem to me to be between those two parties.  I don't see how a third party has standing to complain about how the grant of right is handled.  I could see maybe Dovetail has a potential issue with MS if MS made representations about what MS would or would not do.

scott s.

To answer whether DTG can sue LM or not, lets flip things here and ask opposite questions.

Can LM sue DTG for damages due to usage of their software (FSX:SE or FSW) for academic purpose by some students? or training schools? (much cheaper option) Did DTG took necessary actions to make sure its software was used as intended for entertainment purposes only? The short answer is it will not be a smart move to sue them and waste of time/money because DTG did not market their products through channels that targets these segments and specified clearly the purpose of its software through EULA. So if a user misused the software, its fall under the user responsibility only not DTG

So, all of the above also apply to this thread main question on whether DTG have some right to take action against LM

12 minutes ago, scott967 said:

I'm not sure I understand the legal theory behind such a suit.  LM has an agreement with MS to use MS's property or rights.  A violation would seem to me to be between those two parties.  I don't see how a third party has standing to complain about how the grant of right is handled.  I could see maybe Dovetail has a potential issue with MS if MS made representations about what MS would or would not do.

scott s.

I was going to go there, but I thought I would stop. If there is ever a lawsuit, it will be MS suing LM. DTG will probably be a cheerleader on the sidelines.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Who is Froogle?

• Like 1

David Porrett

2 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Who is Froogle?

He’s the guy that started the campfire story.

I'll admit that one of the first things that went through my head when DTG made their announcement, was a lawsuit. Especially since DTG made such a point about the entertainment license. And since I'm a college student, I am one of the academic license owners (with plans to upgrade to a pro license when I graduate) of course I spent some time worrying.

But I think we'll be OK. As has been said, I think DTG would be crushed by LM in court. They have nothing to gain except to cut their losses now by pulling the product.

11 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Who is Froogle?

He’s a Brit now living in Florida. A former journalist I think. Not sure of his current employment status. Best known in flight sim circles for his regular YouTube broadcasts on FS matters.

Reasonably balanced views which is why I was taken aback by last night’s statement.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, fshobby said:

Furthermore many people buy more than one flight simulator because they all have different strengths. Someone buying P3D doesn't mean they would not also buy FSW if they thought that FSW had some interesting and unique capabilities.

And is at actually worth getting before it disappears ? Serious question, I run P3DV4, X plane 11,DCS and FS2.

For the price of a  single good quality add on aircraft for P3D FSW appears from its adverts to be offering a nice little selection of quality  GA    Planes to buzzz around in. Or is it best avoided?

cheers

jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Who is Froogle?

1 minute ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

nice one 🙂🤣

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I'm no lawyer either, but I do watch a lot of Judge Judy. And everything is going to be just fine 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

He’s a Brit now living in Florida. A former journalist I think. Not sure of his current employment status. Best known in flight sim circles for his regular YouTube broadcasts on FS matters.

Reasonably balanced views which is why I was taken aback by last night’s statement.

For some reason I thought he was an Aussie.

Vic green