Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Avsim and why Mods are such a God send

Just recently I was censored, as I have been several times.  I do not resent it.  If you post as often as I do, or even a little bit, sometimes you can step on toes either deliberately, unconsciously, or a mix of the two.  Simply put, without someone to reach out and touch you, to redirect you to the right path which is our hobby, it is easy to get lost in any form of social media.  I am a member on Facebook which is largely unmoderated.  Thus I restrict my friendships there and have clamped down on those who send me friend requests there.  I am restricting my discourse there more and more because there are just some that will egg you on and cause one to lose their temper, which is a waste of energy and causes social media burnout.  If I need to cool off, I find myself going back to my hobby, spending days lost in P3D or Xplane11 or some other non contact sim, and occasionally a contact sim to really vent energy, like Wings if Prey.  I think I love our hobby so much because of freedom of movement in all four dimensions (if you consider time the fourth dimension) and the fifth dimension: US!  When I first simmed on my SX-64 in 1984 I was amazed.  I had played 2-D video games up to that point (my favorite being one called Omega Race), but to have something where I could move in all five dimensions was and still is amazing.  I bought a book that detailed Evans and Sutherland's attempts at 3-D graphics on the big computer systems and I knew what was coming to us, eventually.  And we are here, and will go beyond...

That's about it, again thanks for keeping Tom's memory and dream alive Avsim Mod's and members!

John

Edited by Cactus521
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Me too, John. I've been "adjusted" by the mods and carry no grief or scars from it. 

• Like 1

Wow! Kudos to both of you for rising above the vitriol and having something positive to say about this site and it's moderators.  This is a free community that's moderated by volunteers that love their hobby and donate their free time to helping this resource stay civilized.  I really amazes me how hateful folks can get with a site that costs them nothing while providing them a treasure trove of excellent support, so thanks for being stand-up guys.  It gives me hope!

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks, guys!  Much appreciated😄

I too, was admonished several years ago by a possibly overzealous Mod here,  but I have survived, somehow.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

I too, was admonished several years ago by a possibly overzealous Mod here,  but I have survived, somehow.

uhh...I might have deserved the mod's "advice" *sheepish grin*

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

By becoming one? :ph34r:

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

42 minutes ago, n4gix said:

By becoming one? :ph34r:

I would become a mod again if asked, but I am afraid I could only manage 30-45 mins a day since I am out simming more than usual these days..  I am not much into deleting threads or lashing out at members who go too far, more into coaching and finding out what interests them here...

John

I was just yanking Charlie's chain (how to avoid possibly overzealous mods). John, I am one of those who try my very best to make any needed 'chastisement' as soft and painless as possible, by treating such times as a "teachable moment."

I can count the number of folks I've had to be severe to the point of banning on one finger... :wink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

38 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I can count the number of folks I've had to be severe to the point of banning on one finger..

In my now nearly 20 years here those instances of banning I have seen were deserving with the first pitch!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 minutes ago, fppilot said:

In my now nearly 20 years here those instances of banning I have seen were deserving with the first pitch!

Sometimes when I am in dark times I exile myself for a while, I tend to get that way around birthdays because I lost both brothers and both parents, all my grandparents, and have been without them almost ten years now.  I know they are out there somewhere but sometimes I just miss their coaching and counsel so badly, even in church I do not find the answers, I go their only for more questions I guess, because I was raised and will pass on in the faith some day...

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

I can count the number of folks I've had to be severe to the point of banning on one finger..

Not that you did ban him, but last week I saw Snave disrupting the REX official forums, or at least someone calling himself that. I had to check to see if "Snave" was a forbidden word here. :ho:

Edited by jabloomf1230

John! You have truly found a home here.  I love seeing your imaged scenery and your screenshot trips among other aspects  of your presence here. Take heart in that, 'cause I am certain I am not alone in that recognition!

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

34 minutes ago, fppilot said:

John! You have truly found a home here.  I love seeing your imaged scenery and your screenshot trips among other aspects  of your presence here. Take heart in that, 'cause I am certain I am not alone in that recognition!

My passion for general aviation started with the man in the bio I link to below, William Garnett, who passed this century and left a legacy of artistic, aerial photography.  He let me take the controls of his plane, for a brief moment, an honor I was told when he took me and my friend Mike McKeowen aloft in exchange for polishing his aircraft. 

He took me up over the Napa River Salt Ponds, one of his favorite places for aerial photography, and I took pictures, one of which hangs in my ex-wife's home, he flattered me by saying it was good work.  Bill is who got me to at least take flight lessons, some twenty years after I met him, in Light Sport and Trike Flying.  And I would take my camera aloft and post pics here from time to time, of my real flights.  Last real flight I recorded was my takeoff from Heathrow last year and Landing in Phoenix, about eight minutes apiece.  But they are in .mov format and only play with Quicktime, so I did not upload them to Youtube....

John

http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/artists/1545/william-a-garnett-american-1916-2006/

I've generally never had a problem with Avsim. I've had a couple of posts deleted, but to be fair I might have went a bit over the top sometimes. The only minor gripe I have is with the automatic censoring of words. It really does my head in. People get offended by absolutely anything these days. So I suppose my issue is more to do with idiots that get offended by everything.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

54 minutes ago, nealmac said:

People get offended by absolutely anything these days. So I suppose my issue is more to do with idiots that get offended by everything.

How dare you! I'm offended by that!! 

:tongue:

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter