Sign in to follow this  
Dreamsofwings1

Unusual ATC/AI behaviour

Thought I would try using the ATC in P3Dv4 just to see if it might add some further training/challenge and got a very interesting surprise!  Having been sent by Larnaca Ground to threshold of 04 for a departure into the circuit for touch and go’s I was continuously cleared for touch and go on 04 but the ATC and AI are using 22.  This means at one stage, having been cleared for touch and go and on finals for 04 I find myself watching a learjet hurtling down 22 towards me and soaring over my head!  Is this a one off or is this the kind of thing the native ATC does?  Would a program like Pro ATC X provide a better, more realistic and intelligent ATC AI?

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

21 minutes ago, Robkr1208 said:

Thought I would try using the ATC in P3Dv4 just to see if it might add some further training/challenge and got a very interesting surprise!  Having been sent by Larnaca Ground to threshold of 04 for a departure into the circuit for touch and go’s I was continuously cleared for touch and go on 04 but the ATC and AI are using 22.  This means at one stage, having been cleared for touch and go and on finals for 04 I find myself watching a learjet hurtling down 22 towards me and soaring over my head!  Is this a one off or is this the kind of thing the native ATC does?  Would a program like Pro ATC X provide a better, more realistic and intelligent ATC AI?

Sadly no.. it is better than the default ATC but you will still find some nonsense situations with AI Airplanes.

Pro-ATC X is more oriented to airline and IFR flying, no VFR so you cannot get clearance for T/G, etc.

Regards,
R.

Try setting a clear wind direction and speed of at least 6 knots to avoid indeterminate situations for ATC.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I have never seen a problem like this in all the time I have used FSX or P3D. Maybe it's because I set a static wind direction, and very calm conditions?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The AI will use basic calm conditions when determining a runway when you first load in.  So if you have a weather engine that injects the weather right after loading, and the wind direction says you should use the opposite runway it unfortunately doesn't correct the AI runway in operation since they were already given the instructions for runway in use.  

I think you can after loading in and letting your weather engine inject the weather to pull the sim time to the left or right 15 min.   Then AI should correct based on real weather conditions.  But i may be wrong.   

Default ATC also does not know special airport instructions i.e. said runway at airport is only used for departures.  AI will land on this runway.   Don't know if Pro ATC or RC know these as well.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

1 hour ago, jason99vmi said:

I think you can after loading in and letting your weather engine inject the weather to pull the sim time to the left or right 15 min.   Then AI should correct based on real weather conditions.  But i may be wrong.  

That's exactly how it is.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have never seen a problem like this in all the time I have used FSX or P3D. Maybe it's because I set a static wind direction, and very calm conditions?

On my system - me too!

The way to get ATC and AI confused is to allow injected weather after AI started up. We can check - as soon as the flight starts up switch to ATIS to see if the weather is correct to that which the weather engine is injecting. If The weather looks cloudy and ATIS reports clear - that's your answer.

What if you start and set up P3D, but not actually run it. Then start AS. Then run P3D.

That's what I do. Seems to work OK.

If the weather engine is in operation when the flight starts this is still no guarantee that things are working right. The weather engine must sense the new flight has started and inject the weather before ATC starts AI traffic. It's not a straightforward job, but I would expect top weather engines to be working OK  in this respect.

Thanks all for posting and yes this could make sense.  I was using live weather on ASP4 and there was a bit of a crosswind.  It was a while before i requested taxi clearance, and was taken to 04.  I am pretty sure the weather was injected before I had requested taxi.  Once in the circuit the AI AtC kept clearing me to touch and go 04 despite clearing an AI aircraft to land opposite direction.  There was no traffic advisory or avoiding action but maybe I am expecting too much.

is there a way to recalibrate the airport runway in use and atis once weather has been injected to make sure it is using the right conditions?

Warbird and GA pilot on P3Dv5 & MSFS

Dreamsofwings YouTube channel

A similar problem that got introduced in the later versions of p3d that was not present in fsx is it is unable to set metar for distant locations until about less than 40nm, which leads to frequently facing the above problem at arrival airport as well when coming to land.

6 hours ago, him225 said:

A similar problem that got introduced in the later versions of p3d that was not present in fsx is it is unable to set metar for distant locations until about less than 40nm, which leads to frequently facing the above problem at arrival airport as well when coming to land.

This isn’t the case with FSXWX. It sets the weather over 120nm away. i never had any problems with it. ASP4 on the other hand always sets too close to the destination.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

59 minutes ago, nam1394 said:

This isn’t the case with FSXWX. It sets the weather over 120nm away. i never had any problems with it. ASP4 on the other hand always sets too close to the destination.

FSXWX might be achieving it by setting the global weather as a workaround, the correct way is to do it by injecting local details to the sim when it works correctly.