Sign in to follow this  
NickFlightX

NGX Auto ILS?

Ive been able to have the NGX intercept and capture and follow the ILS without tuning the freq for that runway. Just select the runway ILS in the FMC, and then when your ready to do it, hit APP and the diamonds will appear and the plane will capture and follow the ILS.

Nick Hesler

42 minutes ago, NickFlightX said:

Ive been able to have the NGX intercept and capture and follow the ILS without tuning the freq for that runway. Just select the runway ILS in the FMC, and then when your ready to do it, hit APP and the diamonds will appear and the plane will capture and follow the ILS.

This isn't auto ILS. If you look at the flight mode annunciator (FMA) above your artificial horizon, you would've seen "FMC" and "G/P" instead of "LOC" and "G/S". It's IAN (Integrated Approach Navigation).

Tutorial here:

Kyle Rodgers

Very interesting. Can one of these IAN approaches be used at any airport?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

7 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Very interesting. Can one of these IAN approaches be used at any airport?

The IAN approach is not a published approach per se.  IAN is an equipment option that you use with published approaches. See section 5.9 in the FCTM.

Dan Downs KCRP

FAC and GP not FMC. Anyway, most of our aircraft have IAN, but our Fleet Office would have an embolism if they were to try to either understand it or try to write a training package to allow it to be used.... 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Is there a way to bring the PFD large window as when I click on the others gauges like EICAS?

Also, I can't arm LOC and APP for ILS landings. Is it supposed to be like 747 and 777 instead of IAN approach? Or IAN is standard for 737NGX?

Patricio Valdes

13 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Is there a way to bring the PFD large window as when I click on the others gauges like EICAS?

PFD or Nav Display?

Either way, yes, but the PFD is disabled unless you manually enable it, due to a P3D issue where sim crashes can be caused by the method called to pop up a panel.

To enable:
PMDG SETUP > OPTIONS > SIMULATION > Page 2/3 > DISABLE CAPT PFD POP-UP

16 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Also, I can't arm LOC and APP for ILS landings.

ILS approach.

The landing is a separate thing. While, yes, ILS is required for an autoland currently, the autoland function is a separate function and topic.

It's likely that you do not have the ILS frequency dialed in on the NAV radio. Please be sure to fly the tutorial flight, as we show you how to do this.

17 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Is it supposed to be like 747 and 777 instead of IAN approach? Or IAN is standard for 737NGX?

Not the same.

Note that the 747 and 777 do not have nav radios on the pedestal, whereas the 73 does. In the 73, you must tune the radio yourself (using the freq displayed on the INIT REF - APPROACH page). In the 74 and 77, the FMC controls the nav radios, so it'll automatically set the frequency when you select the approach type.

Also: another quick mention of the tutorial. A Boeing is a Boeing, sure, but every plane has something to learn that's unique, so...don't skip over the tutorial on the assumption that you can rest on your existing knowledge.

Kyle Rodgers

11 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

PFD or Nav Display?

Either way, yes, but the PFD is disabled unless you manually enable it, due to a P3D issue where sim crashes can be caused by the method called to pop up a panel.

To enable:
PMDG SETUP > OPTIONS > SIMULATION > Page 2/3 > DISABLE CAPT PFD POP-UP

ILS approach.

The landing is a separate thing. While, yes, ILS is required for an autoland currently, the autoland function is a separate function and topic.

It's likely that you do not have the ILS frequency dialed in on the NAV radio. Please be sure to fly the tutorial flight, as we show you how to do this.

Not the same.

Note that the 747 and 777 do not have nav radios on the pedestal, whereas the 73 does. In the 73, you must tune the radio yourself (using the freq displayed on the INIT REF - APPROACH page). In the 74 and 77, the FMC controls the nav radios, so it'll automatically set the frequency when you select the approach type.

Also: another quick mention of the tutorial. A Boeing is a Boeing, sure, but every plane has something to learn that's unique, so...don't skip over the tutorial on the assumption that you can rest on your existing knowledge.

1.- PFD (Primary Flight Display). I will enable and if it grows in issues then going to leave such setting as it was.

Time ago I enabled PFD from 777 and had no issues yet from FSX and P3Dv4. So, I will see what about PFD pops with NGX.

2.- ILS Approach. I said landings mistakenly, sorry. Really I didn't know that terminology. I thought Approach is for landings.

3.- Not the same. For the 737NGX I enter HDG only and the reason of my ILS approaches problems.

I will redo Tutorial again.

Bags of thanks for Kyle scandinavian13 for giving me a professional help.

Edited by trisho0
corrections

Patricio Valdes

1 minute ago, trisho0 said:

1.- PFD (Primary Flight Display). I will enable and if it grows in issues then going to leave such setting as it was.

K - yeah, if the sim crashes, that's the setting that you should put back the way it was.

2 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

2.- ILS Approach. I said landings mistakenly, sorry. Really I didn't know that terminology. I thought Approach is for landings.

Approach is a precursor to landing, yes, but it is not an "ILS landing." There's a common misconception - particularly in the sim community - that everyone everywhere autolands on an ILS approach. This is not the case, and using the term "ILS landing" only perpetuates the misunderstanding, so it's important to point out: ILS approach - how you put the plane on the ground is a separate discussion. An approach gets you closer to the runway so you can see it and land on it. While it is true that a very specific type of ILS approach provides the necessary guidance (and more importantly, protections) for an autoland, an ILS approach does not imply an autoland, and should not be confused with that.

5 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

3.- Not the same. For the 737NGX I enter HDG only and the reason of my ILS approaches problems.

Yep. Definitely the cause.

The tutorial should help you get it sorted out.

Kyle Rodgers

8 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

K - yeah, if the sim crashes, that's the setting that you should put back the way it was.

Approach is a precursor to landing, yes, but it is not an "ILS landing." There's a common misconception - particularly in the sim community - that everyone everywhere autolands on an ILS approach. This is not the case, and using the term "ILS landing" only perpetuates the misunderstanding, so it's important to point out: ILS approach - how you put the plane on the ground is a separate discussion. An approach gets you closer to the runway so you can see it and land on it. While it is true that a very specific type of ILS approach provides the necessary guidance (and more importantly, protections) for an autoland, an ILS approach does not imply an autoland, and should not be confused with that.

Yep. Definitely the cause.

The tutorial should help you get it sorted out.

Definitely the Tutorial will be first for me to refresh and to learn what I missed before. Regarding on Autoland I have seen from EICAS :No Autoland" and after the entries into FMC as ILS then that message goes away. That is what I thought ILS approach implies an Autoland. But thanks to your help I have cleared this.

Patricio Valdes

The tutorial is a big help, I'll redo it every 4-6 months and I'm still learning new things from it (I have around 18 months or so on the product).   I also own the 747 but I really want to master the 737 before moving on to the 747...although the 747 is a joy to hand fly.

Mark Trainer

1 minute ago, mtrainer said:

The tutorial is a big help, I'll redo it every 4-6 months and I'm still learning new things from it (I have around 18 months or so on the product).   I also own the 747 but I really want to master the 737 before moving on to the 747...although the 747 is a joy to hand fly.

Mark Trainer

Yes, I will have to go back the tutorials several times as you said, to master the plane.

Patricio Valdes

I just did a flight plan from TUPJ rwy 7 to TJSJ rwy ILS 10. The plane didn't arm LOC but after armed APP once the bird landed straight on runway. I entered the frequency in NAV radios from Pedestal and also entered the HDG accordingly. But still, no LOC armed and landed nice. Is it normal? Should I go back to tutorials to find out? Yes, I will …….

Patricio Valdes

1 hour ago, trisho0 said:

I entered the frequency in NAV radios from Pedestal and also entered the HDG accordingly. But still, no LOC armed and landed nice. Is it normal? Should I go back to tutorials to find out? Yes, I will

Hello,

The key to understand what is going on is to check the FMA. If the armed modes when you press the APP button are FAC and GP instead of LOC and GS, chances are that the frequency you entered doesn't match the ILS frequency of the scenery. This would be supported by the fact that you say no LOC armed. 

You may have to check the ILS scenery on the map window of the sim to confirm that it is the same as the one entered on the nav receiver.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Before you begin the approach, select the INIT REF page on the CDU. Usually, just pressing the INDEX button brings it up.

On this page you have the current gross weight. options for landing speeds at flap 15, 30 and 40, plus landing increment line and lower left it gives you the selected approach, both frequency expected and runway gross length. Amazingly, if you do this about 10 minutes before top of descent, just before you brief, it's about a tonne! Who knew!

So, get this difference, go to the index INIT REF or Landing page that it actually is. Tap in the corrected gross weight for landing, and then select the landing flap by double tapping the LSK next to the one you want. this should auto fill the landing flap box and if you then do the same double press for the increment, you get the +5. You can add more for gusty conditions here.

Match your frequency, course from this page and the ILS should be good to go.

Problems here can be put down to database issues, or an old FSX which has incorrect older ILS frequencies where the NAV database is updated by Navigraph or whatever. P3D shouldn't have this issue. There are good freebies to update both NAV data and variation worldwide in FSX to bring it up to date.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!