Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Texture Issues (Black and Incomplete Loading)

Hi,

After enjoying a few days with FTX EU Netherlands I went for a short routine flight from default KVPS to HURT and was surprised to see this:

R3HhpMl.jpg

This is a new development and, as far as I am aware, nothing has changed configuration-wise recently. I was flying with my usual Daytime Display Profile and not the one created specifically for Orbx EU Netherlands.

I checked out Hawaii (picked at random) a place I have not visited for quite some time, and found several similar instances.

The priorities have not changed in Scenery.cfg.

I forced a rebuild of the Scenery Indexes and a re-migration of the unified lclookup. I ran the Migration troubleshooter and all is reported as being well.

I have added the TextureMaxLoad=6 line to the [DISPLAY] section in Prepar3D.cfg

Nothing has had any affect.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, please.

Thanks.

Mike

I too have this issue in some areas. Seems to be Orbx Europe in my case.

I'll be interested if anyone can suggest a cause and fix.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

I have added the TextureMaxLoad=6 line to the [DISPLAY] section in Prepar3D.cfg

You need to increase the value to see an effect on texture loading times. 6 is default value. You can use multiples of 3 only - 9, 12, 15 etc. I prefer to increase TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT instead, since it's going to have the same effect - it's going to increase max allowed texture data per frame. With second option the actual increase will not be so big, and it's less probable to induce stutters and other problems. Try with TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=150. 

It could be something else. If you are using ORBX Vector, disable "frozen surface" under "water features" in Vector configuration tool. This will cause your issue when enabled in P3D, it's a known Vector problem.

It could be some new problem induced by ORBX Nederlands, i don't have it, so i can't speak about

Thanks, Zeljko.

I'll give it a try.

I tried it and that fixed it for me. Should have known.

Thanks again.

Edited by RichieFly
I tried it

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

3 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Thanks, Zeljko.

I'll give it a try.

I tried it and that fixed it for me. Should have known.

Thanks again.

Hi Richard,

Are you referring to the “frozen surface” under “water features” in the ORBX Vector Configuration tool? If so, I thought I had that feature disabled but I’ll certainly check it out as soon as I can.

What I find puzzling is that I have never experienced this issue before installing EU Netherlands so a) you would suspect that install was involved in some way and b) why then are there no other reports?

Incidentally I prefer Black Marble Vector (greater coverage, accuracy, very configurable and, possibly, more frame time friendly) over ORBX Vector. Of course I still use the latter for their realistic coastline provision and a few other features.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Zeljko,

Unfortunately, for me the "Frozen Surface" suggestion turned out to be a red herring. Just to be certain I checked the box, applied, unchecked and again applied. In any case I am flying in Spring (default) so this really shouldn't have been relevant.

AaoqbxP.jpg

Perhaps the following images will provide further clues as to what is happening here:

KHRT

s0VWcNc.jpg

DzQ9o3n.jpg

LAW3pxc.jpg

PHNL

dUk0KAY.jpg

7a6an2R.jpg

Same area from Google Earth:

hhik3Nh.jpg

At this point I started to suspect there might be a strange and illogical conflict between Black Marble Vector installation and EU Netherlands TE so I tried disabling the Road traffic and New Orbx night lighting technique entries in the EU Netherlands TE Control Panel. However, still no luck, the problem persists!

Edit: tried disabling the Black Marble entries in the Scenery Library and once again, no change.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike the issue is present in PHNL area in Honolulu how does that has any relation to NL HD?

i think you are looking in the wrong place for this issue to begin with;
think what else has changed for you recently beside NL;
you are focused on NL scenery when the issue is in another part of the globe!

it doesn't add up!

here is a fresh image from my sim (NL HD is installed here with BM!)

2018-5-4_12-1-39-244.jpg

Edited by Chris Bell

10 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Richard,

Are you referring to the “frozen surface” under “water features” in the ORBX Vector Configuration tool? If so, I thought I had that feature disabled but I’ll certainly check it out as soon as I can.

What I find puzzling is that I have never experienced this issue before installing EU Netherlands so a) you would suspect that install was involved in some way and b) why then are there no other reports?

Incidentally I prefer Black Marble Vector (greater coverage, accuracy, very configurable and, possibly, more frame time friendly) over ORBX Vector. Of course I still use the latter for their realistic coastline provision and a few other features.

Regards,

Mike

I realized after lying down for the night that I hadn't been clear on this. Sorry.

I was taking about the Frozen Surface option in Orbx Vector.

In my case, the problem seemed to always be on water surfaces. Unchecking this option worked, in my case.

Richard Chafey

MSFS 2020, DCS

Hi,

what detail setting do you have set for water in Prepar3d? If it is set to High, please try setting it to any other value and check what´s happening.

Might be a long shot, but I had issues with black textures on water for quite some time, and setting the details to anything other than High eliminated them all.  Low, medium and ultra all work fine. When setting details back to high, it only takes a few minutes or very often happens instantly that water texture loading shows squares and triangles in the water and at some point, when reloading the scenery they remain black. Not sure, if this is an issue with P3D or Orbx or my video card (1080TI), but it happens all around the globe. 

So let me know if this helps you as it did for me.

ok, I see, your issue appears not to be limited to water textures, but also landclass textures are affected...

Mike if you look closely you will notice the area where you see black has curved edges!
this is not landclass lines as landclass would show a rectangular tiles structure missing and not curved lines,

if pay even closer attention you will notice that in the middle of the black patch area you have a rectangular shape that is actually sitting above the road crossing it; without showing its footprint over it,

note the ground texture in the lower right center doesn't match the textures around it
(the street all around have a different texture surrounding it)

you also show water in the middle there which suggests you have some conflict in vector coastline data not fully excluded,
prob coming from a lower scenery with a higher coastline vector line data priority (not to be confuse with scenery layer priority!!!)

LAW3pxc.jpg&key=5a9ca6413216d09e44402bc6

Edited by Chris Bell

@Cruachan I had this issue due to bad insertion point in my scenery lib.

Background: I own GEP3D and did not own any ORBX products until lately when I purchased LOWI Airport. After it's installation and the ORBX Libraries I had all my airports (even default ones) with black ground textures.

I fixed it moving the FTX Library entry way down (even below UTX entries).

So my guess is that ORBX sadly interferes with other Addon's...

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Hi everyone,

Been beavering away behind the scenes and finally managed to track down the source of the problem.

Turns out it was caused by some file corruption in the ORBX OpenLC North America installation. How this occurred remains a mystery - FTXCentral 3?

Also noted similar problems at Madrid in Spain and, yes, it appears that I will have to reinstall ORBX OpenLC Europe as well.

It is perhaps odd that the ORBX Migration troubleshooter did not pick up on this.

Ah well, the joys of being a flight simmer!

Thanks to everybody who posted suggestions and, in particular, I would like to thank Chris Bell who has been very helpful and supportive throughout this exercise.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

this issue is completely unrelated to our work!
still it is something we fixed with BMNG v1.0.4 globally,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but may I ask if you have posted this on the obvious place, the Orbx forum? If so, what has been their response, if not, why not? 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776