Sign in to follow this  
raymie

B200 Raisbeck Epic Prop Lever Problem

I am currently experiencing an interesting problem with the left engine prop lever. I looked to see if anyone else has reported this--but apparently I am the only one. Maybe I am missing something here.

My problem is this:

--When reducing the throttle levers to the point of activating the "Gear Horn" (approx. reading of 71.6 on the Turbine Gauges) the left engine Prop Lever automatically goes into the Feathered Position. The right engine Prop Lever remains at the RPM setting to which I have previously set it. At this time--Left engine Torque reading is "1338" while the Right Engine Torque Reading is "0154". The Left RPM gauge reads approx. 900 while the Right RPM gauge reads 1850. Also, when experiencing this situation, I noticed the "Right" Ignition Light is illuminated on the light ann. panel but not the Left Ignition Light.

At this reduced power setting--If I try to advance the Left Prop Lever--it automatically returns to the "Feathered" position. The only way I can get the Left Prop Lever to advance and stay is to increase the throttles.This problem makes landing this modified aircraft an interesting challenge.

--Also, I am experiencing this same problem when shutting down the engines. With the Mixture Levers at Full Lean, the engines shut down as normal, however, the Left Engine Prop Lever automatically goes into full feathered position. The Right Engine Prop Lever does not move unless I use the proper key stroke to move it--or do so via my mouse.

Again, maybe I am missing something in the check list procedure that is causing this--maybe something extra that was added via this mod that the stock B200 does not have? I am really enjoying this modified King Air and hopefully someone can help me get this issue resolved. 

Thanks

PS: I am using P3D version 3.4xx and Windows 10 with the latest Spring update.

19 hours ago, raymie said:

I am currently experiencing an interesting problem with the left engine prop lever. I looked to see if anyone else has reported this--but apparently I am the only one. Maybe I am missing something here.

My problem is this:

--When reducing the throttle levers to the point of activating the "Gear Horn" (approx. reading of 71.6 on the Turbine Gauges) the left engine Prop Lever automatically goes into the Feathered Position. The right engine Prop Lever remains at the RPM setting to which I have previously set it. At this time--Left engine Torque reading is "1338" while the Right Engine Torque Reading is "0154". The Left RPM gauge reads approx. 900 while the Right RPM gauge reads 1850. Also, when experiencing this situation, I noticed the "Right" Ignition Light is illuminated on the light ann. panel but not the Left Ignition Light.

At this reduced power setting--If I try to advance the Left Prop Lever--it automatically returns to the "Feathered" position. The only way I can get the Left Prop Lever to advance and stay is to increase the throttles.This problem makes landing this modified aircraft an interesting challenge.

--Also, I am experiencing this same problem when shutting down the engines. With the Mixture Levers at Full Lean, the engines shut down as normal, however, the Left Engine Prop Lever automatically goes into full feathered position. The Right Engine Prop Lever does not move unless I use the proper key stroke to move it--or do so via my mouse.

Again, maybe I am missing something in the check list procedure that is causing this--maybe something extra that was added via this mod that the stock B200 does not have? I am really enjoying this modified King Air and hopefully someone can help me get this issue resolved. 

Thanks

PS: I am using P3D version 3.4xx and Windows 10 with the latest Spring update.

I have actually had this happen on two occasions and I couldn't duplicate it later.  Since no one had reported it, I assumed it was something with my system.  The good news is that now I know it isn't something unique to my machine. 

I will begin a code review to see what it might be.  My guess is there is something amiss in my autofeather code.  It's the only thing that could make a prop feather while overriding your hardware prop control. 

Thank you for replying to my post on this issue. I am enjoying your mod for this King Air very much and hope this problem can be resolved. It takes place whether the "Auto-feather" switch is engaged or not.

I took a look at it again with a VARWATCHER.  It seems that once the autofeather test gets armed it doesn't dearm even when the autofeather switch it turned off.  It will take me a while to sort it out. 

My guess is that at some point in the session you have put the autofeather switch into the test position per the runup checklist.  When you then turn it off, it remains armed in the test position and when you reduce power on landing approach you breech the 260 ft-lb torque value on one engine before the other and the prop feathers.  When it does so, it will override your hardware prop lever until you reduce power on both engines which in itself dearms the test mode.  Hopefully I can get a fix out this weekend.  In the meantime, refrain from performing autofeather tests or placing the autofeather switch into the test position.  That should keep the problem from occurring. 

Thanks for your time and effort in tracking down this problem. I will try what you suggested.

Bill,

Just finished a short flight--started with a "live" cockpit setting and did nothing with the Autofeather--no test nor usage. All went fine when time came to reduce power settings for approach and final.

Must confess, this was a different outcome than prior flights. With or without the usage of Autofeather on prior flights, I still experienced left engine prop lever going into full feather position. 

Maybe this will help your investigation into this matter. Apparently no one else is having this problem as I searched previous mod posts and could not find any reports on this issue.

Tell me what you mean by "live" cockpit.  Does that mean you used the the auto start window to get the aircraft running? 

Edited by whamil77

No, I do not use an Auto Start window--after I select the modified B200 from the aircraft menu and the sim is loaded at the airport I have selected, the aircraft engines are already running along with all of the aircraft electrical systems (avionics, flight instruments lights etc.). In other words, it is "Ready to Taxi".That's what I mean by a "live cockpit". 

Do I need to first load a "Default" Aircraft at my selected airport of departure, shut down all systems including the engines so I now have a "Cold and Dark" cockpit, then go into the select aircraft menu and select the modified B200? That is what I do for each A2A aircraft I have. I can try loading the modified B200 that way and see if it eliminates the problem I have experienced.

I just finished another flight with this aircraft. I do not toggle the Autofeather switch at all, this eliminates the left engine prop lever from feathering at lower power settings.

Again thanks and hope this answers your question,

Raymie

I have had the same problem as raymie.  It does not seem to happen on every flight.  It is intermittent.

A patch has been made available for this problem. If you send Bill (aka "Whamil77) a "PM" I'm sure he will send it to you.

I’m having similar but not identical issues too. Once I reach the cruise, I cannot reduce the prop RPM below 1900. Pulling the pitch controls back has no further effect, even when they are placed into feather.

Also my power settings seem way off. 28,000ft, -27°C (ISA +14), full throttle and 1900RPM gives 1345ft-lbs, 785°C ITT, 101.3%Ng and 250pph fuel flow.

This happens regardless of how I start the flight (cold & dark or already running) and without touching the auto feather switch.

Using version 1.0 with P3D v4.4 and Win 10.

Edited by norman_99

12 hours ago, norman_99 said:

I’m having similar but not identical issues too. Once I reach the cruise, I cannot reduce the prop RPM below 1900. Pulling the pitch controls back has no further effect, even when they are placed into feather.

Also my power settings seem way off. 28,000ft, -27°C (ISA +14), full throttle and 1900RPM gives 1345ft-lbs, 785°C ITT, 101.3%Ng and 250pph fuel flow.

This happens regardless of how I start the flight (cold & dark or already running) and without touching the auto feather switch.

Using version 1.0 with P3D v4.4 and Win 10.

I just checked it at FL280 and I can get the prop down to about 1400 RPM just before it feathers. My numbers at FL280 are not even remotely close to yours.  Full throttle will torch the engines due to overtemp.   It looks like a controller calibration issue.  Are you using FSUIPC?