Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Universal FMS?!!

With the release of the SF340, it looks as if Carenado have given up completely on their much criticised Universal FMS!!

Although the FMS is present in the pedestal of the SF340 it is totally non-functional which is something I hadn't noticed until today as I hadn't even bother to try using it after my previous experience with the Universal FMS on other Carenado aircraft, simply installing the GTN on day one. However I would imagine there are simmers out there for whom the absence of a functioning FMS in an airliner such as this would be a deal-breaker in terms of realism and it would have been nice to have seen Carenado putting some effort into perhaps improving the function of their existing Universal FMS, rather than abandoning it altogether, as they continue to develop more regional airliners.

Bill

If this fms is very very basic, I must said to be correct that with a good PLN, the Nav (including Sid and Star and approach) + the Vnav are well working. Make 4 complete flights with... 

Agree it's time to give a real and complete fms to the commuters of Carenado.

Have more problem to use the GTN because the navigrah data base are not upgradable yet and no compatible with mine flight planner and sim data base (airac 1804).

Plus, if I like the GTN on little AG aircrafts for planning a rapid graphical PLN... I find that is not very realistic on a commuter panel as in Saab 340.

The FMS is disabled when selecting the GTN option.

If you choose the non-GTN option, it is functional, I believe.

Bert

The FMS is functional, but it is poorly conceived and executed. 

Failings include not following the route, not executing a direct to, adding a SID or STAR can overwrite the present route, and in the case of the F50, the inability to change waypoint altitude. 

Whilst the waypoint altitude serves only for pilot reference, it is a facility that is missed (but I have mixed and matched components of the XML files between the SF34 and F50 to regain the ability to change waypoint altitude.  

I have (often) contacted Carenado to politely express my desire for an improved FMC. They simply state that it’s a limitation of the sim. This means they don’t grasp, or don’t want to grasp the fundamental issues. 

That their aircraft products share common CAB/XML systems that are simply rejigged between products means that Carenado would need to fix their faulty FMC but once for a massive improvement in many of their universal FMC equipped aircraft. 

That Carenado don’t bother hearing, understanding, or complying is indicative of their poor customer focus, and that we keep buying is indicative of our equivalent failure.

Don’t for one minute think that they don’t get it; they can read manuals and other complex regulatory materials, be they aviation or market based, so I am darn sure that they fully understand our pleas  

There has been a change in the products recently, and Long may this last, but delivering essentials such as a decent FMS are well within their ability. 

That they don’t is an informed choice that they have made, and taking us for fools snacks of poor regard for their ccustomers. 

The Carenado Universal FMC is lacklustre and barely meets our needs. 

Did you know that Carenado upgraded their wares from P3D3 to P3D4 as free upgrades, yet in X-Plane they feltvthat a full rebuild was needed and thus charged full prices for their “upgrades” products, with zero discounts. 

Now you have their mindset in a nutshell, go figure if you’ll ever see a reworked FMC. 

I have bought across two platforms an embarrassingly high number of Carenado products, including their very first, so I feel that I have the right to speak out. 

Edited by Fabs
  • Like 3

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

I believe you are correct in saying that this is a business decision on Carenado's part.  They believe that a "lite" simulation of the avionics will satisfy most of their customers..

Those of us who would like to see 100% functional gauges in the cockpit are left to our own devices..

Maybe someone will take the time to delve into the FMS code and clean things up.. Personally, I have decided to spend my time on the GTN equipped cockpits, where we are fortunate enough to have a highly accurate Garmin GTN unit to work with..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bert

Yes, the GTN is a viable route, and as an option it is welcome. 

However, it shouldn’t be this way, Carenado should listen and act upon the recommendations and needs of their clients, and deliver to us a better product at the outset. 

The sadness is that it’s such an easy win. They have no laurels to rest on, yet resting they are. 

Edited by Fabs

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

1 hour ago, Fabs said:

Failings include not following the route

This is like selling an auto that only goes straight and can't turn left or right. I'm glad I read these posts. I was considering buying this plane because it seemed to have a functional FMC, but now I won't waste my money. 

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The FMS is disabled when selecting the GTN option.

If you choose the non-GTN option, it is functional, I believe.

Oops ... my mistake!

I should have tried it with the non-GTN option selected!

Bill

The LNAV route following logic is flawed. 

Firstly, the FMS current waypoint doesn’t seem to move down to the next sequential waypoint even though under LNAV the aircraft tracks the waypoints in order.

So, you could be midway along your journey but the FMC will show your currently selected waypoint as being the first. 

Next, executing a direct-to seems to not place you on an immediate bearing to your chosen waypoint, but instead appears to take you to an intersect of where you would have been on your flight plan to your chosen waypoint (I’m still confused by the logic).

The distance counter for the current waypoint (nm) is strange as it doesn’t read the distance from PP to the next waypoint, but appears to read the total route distance to go (I think). However, by my reckoning the total route distance is always significantly too far. 

An irritating feature is that adding a STAR and arrival (or SID?) will overwrite the waypoints to the point that you must re-enter your route. 

It’s all a little jumbled up and hard to define, but it will somehow get you to your destination provided you have your head screwed on correctly in a battle of wits and logic between pilot and machine, so you’d best stay ahead of the aircraft which in terms of airmanship is no bad thing. 

What frustrates me the most is that Carenado will blame LM and P3D or FSX rather than deal with the underlying problem, and this is a real shame.

They're clearly not fools, so why treat us as such?

Edited by Fabs
  • Upvote 1

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

after the F50 I'm trying to stay away from this one ... on the Fokker the FMS has some very basic functions with which

I've been able to do a minimum of navigation (haven't tried any SID/STAR changes though) but still there are some large

holes which could be filled even in the instrumentation before selling it at the price it comes, to me it could be good 20/25%

cheaper and it would be fair ...

it's a real pity these guys do not take the time to refine their products, maybe the FMS could be proposed as an optional

product with the support of some third developer ... who knows, maybe CARENADO is working on some avionic package

and one day they will surprise us ...

meanwhile even after V1.2 (which is a big step forward compared to others which see the light and die right at V1.0)

unluckily the S340 will not join my fleet ...

ciao, Francesco.

btw, not the right section to ask but ... anyone else having the tail strobe on the F50 flashing also with no lights on???

Francesco Z. (groundeddog)

The FMS is quite basic, but if you only use LNAV and approaches it works OK. Since the usual routes for a Saab 340 are quite short, I don't mind too much if advanced features are not available or working. I really enjoy the plane now that the engine start procedure has been fixed.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Hi Fabs, You wrote (but I have mixed and matched components of the XML files between the SF34 and F50 to regain the ability to change waypoint altitude.  

I fully agree with you I have the Carenad s550 and the F50 and SF 340. Iam wondering if you want to sahre yor xml files with me so that I also can use the ability to set altitude in waypoints?

Best regards

PM sent. 

Mr Fabio Lagattolla