Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Universal FMS?!!

You’re welcome!

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Sidney Schwartz said:

This is like selling an auto that only goes straight and can't turn left or right. I'm glad I read these posts. I was considering buying this plane because it seemed to have a functional FMC, but now I won't waste my money. 

I think I actually owned that car you mentioned years ago. :)

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, leodirk said:

Hi Fabs, You wrote (but I have mixed and matched components of the XML files between the SF34 and F50 to regain the ability to change waypoint altitude.  

I fully agree with you I have the Carenad s550 and the F50 and SF 340. Iam wondering if you want to sahre yor xml files with me so that I also can use the ability to set altitude in waypoints?

Best regards

I would love to have your files Fabs if your feeling generous. I have all three as well. Haven't flown the SAAB enough to see if the FMS is as wonky as the Fokkers. I know the Fokker FMS is all goofed up and that's being generous!

3 hours ago, Merlin59 said:

I think I actually owned that car you mentioned years ago. 🙂

Yes, the FMC’s are dysfunctional, but useable if you know their quirks and stay ahead of the aircraft.

I must say that the SAAB SF340 (and F50) are really very nice, and I’m trying to make the best use out of them. 

I would say that they’d be worth the money if the FMC’s were improved. 

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

4 hours ago, Merlin59 said:

I would love to have your files Fabs if your feeling generous. I have all three as well. Haven't flown the SAAB enough to see if the FMS is as wonky as the Fokkers. I know the Fokker FMS is all goofed up and that's being generous!

PM sent. 

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

I love both planes as well. Shame the fms didn't get more care but they good airplanes. Great for Air Hauler 2. Thanks for the PM as well.

Fms of Saab 340 is better that F50 because it work in VNAV.

If limited, it work for me for the primordial function... The navigation.

Like more the Saab, pleasant to flight with, worth his price.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, Fabs said:

Yes, the FMC’s are dysfunctional, but useable if you know their quirks and stay ahead of the aircraft.

I must say that the SAAB SF340 (and F50) are really very nice, and I’m trying to make the best use out of them. 

I would say that they’d be worth the money if the FMC’s were improved. 

Would love to try your files too for the S340 FMC Fabio, if possible?

3 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Would love to try your files too for the S340 FMC Fabio, if possible?

PM with instructions sent - hope it works!

Fabio

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

On 5/4/2018 at 7:12 PM, Bert Pieke said:

I believe you are correct in saying that this is a business decision on Carenado's part.  They believe that a "lite" simulation of the avionics will satisfy most of their customers..

Those of us who would like to see 100% functional gauges in the cockpit are left to our own devices..

Maybe someone will take the time to delve into the FMS code and clean things up.. Personally, I have decided to spend my time on the GTN equipped cockpits, where we are fortunate enough to have a highly accurate Garmin GTN unit to work with..

I agree that the GTN is very functional bit of kit, but OMG, I  am sick of having it in so many addons.

I remember the Flight1 ATR 72 500 for FSX.... lovely little FMS..... nothing too fancy but just enough to do the job.

The SAAB s340 glass looks very similar..... surely they could manage something like the ATR FMS ?

I like a little variety nowadays, and however good a GPS is..... it can get a little tiresome to see it so often.

2 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

I agree that the GTN is very functional bit of kit, but OMG, I  am sick of having it in so many addons.

I remember the Flight1 ATR 72 500 for FSX.... lovely little FMS..... nothing too fancy but just enough to do the job.

The SAAB s340 glass looks very similar..... surely they could manage something like the ATR FMS ?

I like a little variety nowadays, and however good a GPS is..... it can get a little tiresome to see it so often.

Time for someone to roll up their sleeves and fix the FMS, or replace it..  :unsure:

It can be done.. just takes time and effort..

Bert

I asked them whether they’d ever flown one of their FMC equipped aircraft, because if they had, they’d fully understand how short of the mark they are. 

Not just short of the mark, but also inadequate, and by that I mean dysfunctional. 

Simply, they’ve never attempted to use them in earnest or they’d know how poor they are. 

Nope, I have one of everything by Carenado, and as much as I’d like to have the EMB120, I just know that the FMC would be useless. 

The thing is that the GTN for me simply doesn’t fit. Yes it works wonderfully, but it’s a square peg in a round hole. I don’t mean aesthetics, but rather more about original equipment. 

My solution has been to dovetail into the VC’s the excellent 64-bit ISG SimAvionics for P3D4. Not perfect, but better. 

Why oh why doesn’t Carenado fix what is broken? I mean they’d only need to fix their implementation of the generic UFMC once because it’s the same basic unit in all of their aircraft. 

What are nonsense they are - seemingly very happy to take our money yet selfish enough to ignore our genuine pleas.

X-Plane has by default a reasonable facsimile of a generic FMC, and Carenado fit this into their XP wares but sadly they insist on delivering their own inferior branded products for P3D4. 

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

Well Fabio, simple fact is, Carenado are a quantity over quality company..... "stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap."

People buy them: they look good and are easy to fly. People like that.

Ergo: they are unlikely to ever change their strategy.

They have become a production line, employing what I refer to as a: "copy and paste" mentality. This is particularly apparent when you listen to the cockpit sounds - almost every switch, sounds identical... and every aircraft follows suit. They are essentially, the opposite of A2A, who bring out aircraft relatively infrequently; but each is a " really bad word (not allowed)" ... masterpiece !

I do own the Carenado do228 and I am 'considering' the SAAB s340, but ONLY because my VA is going to using it. Generally, if I want a simple aircraft to jump into, Press Ctrl + Enter, and just go sightseeing, I tend to use the A2A 172, or even something like the Just Flight 152... the latter being what I like to call: Cheap and Cheerful".

Horses for Courses !

Edited by Gabe777

Indeed, by now Carenado have set our expectation levels, thus there can be no surprises...

Mr Fabio Lagattolla