Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Panning is very juddery

I noticed that panning with Chaseplane is very juddery, like it lags, jumps or sort-of skips a frame. It does not seem to be tied to the sim's framerate, because's that is running at a very stable, internally locked 30FPS. When you do the same panning in-flight, you can also see the plane moving smoothly whilst the juddering happens.

Here's two videos I made, one with just a clean panning around, where you can see quite a few of these small judders and the other is a slowed down sequence, looking at these judders;

https://streamable.com/6t8af

https://streamable.com/4tpbm

I've tried moving around Chaseplane's affinity mask with Process Lasso, see if this was a CPU issue but that didn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions what it could be?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I had this before, for me the cure was to remove all references of panning from the p3d options in the views sections for all my controllers 

Pete Little

1 minute ago, mazelda said:

I had this before, for me the cure was to remove all references of panning from the p3d options in the views sections for all my controllers 

Hey,

Yeah I already did that prior, to not have any conflicts. My pov hat is only mapped in Chaseplane right now.

Edited by Sethos1988

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I've seen this issue also, thought it was just my problem with my FPS being too low (below my Monitor's refresh rate).  But after some analysis my FPS was not falling below threshold ... I'm still trying to diagnose the issue as I don't seem to have the problem when CP isn't loaded and I use mouse look or move to a non-CP view and pan with HAT.

Just curious, what's you framerate set to and what is your monitor refresh rate and what kind of FPS are you seeing?  Do you have any timeframe data that might help ID long frames?

Cheers, Rob.

Are you talking about the few frames where the aircraft becomes de-centered when panning with Track Aircraft?

We have observed the issue and we're researching the cause. It's most likely a math operation not happening in the right order.

Edited by Keven Menard

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

I'm not sure about OP, but in my case yes.

Cheers, Rob.

That might very well be the case, because it doesn't look like a classic stutter or that it stops tracking, it looks like it's doing this weird juddering motion that could easily be a centering issue.

And Rob, currently running 30FPS locked within the sim, on a 144Hz monitor (Well, running 120Hz to avoid the high idle). It's maintaining those 30FPS pretty much perfectly, sans the super heavy areas like around KLAX with SoCal where it'll do a few dips. However, I'm not seeing a connection between the judder and any frame drops, so it's definitely something else. Even in the most empty areas, sitting on the ground, it'll happen. So what Keven mentioned could very well be the ticket.

Keep an eye on the change logs, a fix should be published in the near future

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I have been experiencing the same issues as Sethos1988, and Rob. Haven't come up with a solution on my end either. My panning stuttering doesn't happen always...just sometimes, but I haven't found a commonality that seems it might be a cause.

I am running P3Dv4.1, frames internally locked at 30 fps; ASUS G-Sync 1440p monitor in G-Sync mode. Same as above posts, the stuttering happens when I'm maintaining a solid 30 fps, but it doesn't always happen, more like an infrequent thing.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

It's definitely an issue on our end, don't waste your time searching for the cause 😉

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

2 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

It's definitely an issue on our end, don't waste your time searching for the cause 😉

Keven,

Thanks for being so attentative, and thanks again for a great product!

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 9/2/2019 at 11:41 AM, newtronater12 said:

my one is juddery only when I am in the sky and I try and move forward in cockpit and its like it pauses then it continues 

Yep I get a flavour of this too.

Smooth on the ground, but once airborne I find stick button camera movement and transitions (using either assigned keys, hot corners or selecting from the CP UI preset list) can go pretty horrible. I'm sure it must be something simple but I am struggling to find it. Only difference here is I don't get the pause you mention, just movement that has lost smoothness. In some ways it's more frustrating as it looks so good when on the ground but deteriorates as you progress.

i7-8700k, Asus TUF Z-390 Plus Gaming, Corsair H45, GTX1060/6, 16GB.  SSDx2, HDDx1, Win10/64, P3D v4.5, lots of bolt-ons...