Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

744 and 777 VC eyepoint for VR users

For those who are enjoying the VR (mind blowing) experience, the following VC eyepoints are correct per FCOM:

[Views]
eyepoint = 78.972, -1.745, 16.1282

777-200LR

[Views]
eyepoint = 80.029, -1.825, 7.7540

777-300ER

[Views]
eyepoint = 96.344, -1.825, 7.7540

3D rendering of the VC allows the eyepoint to be set per FCOM without the yoke blocking the view of the main instrument panel or the need to set the eyepoint to capture enough of the the main flight instruments in the forward view projected on a 2D monitor.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

For those of us too poor to buy these vr contraptions, how is the peripheral vision? Is it like being in a normal plane/car... as in can you see out the sides without looking or shifting your head too much? Is it all 1:1 vision?

Edited by Copper.

Brian Nellis

the field of view for the oculus cv1 is about 110deg, like wearing goggles but quite adequate for simulation.  it's like being in plane, 1:1 if you like; if you turn your head 90deg to left, you're looking 90deg to left in the virtual world.  everything is rendered in 3d so there's depth in the vc, depth to the outside world (in the 747 you're way up above gnd).     

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I don't exactly follow...

I use FlyInside + FSX SE + Oculus Rift. I have assigned 6 buttons to move my viewpoint in 3D space (X Y Z) quickly in case the re-centre button action (via FlyInside binding) gets me off. Re-centre action is needed sometimes when changing views (A + S keyboard buttons).Are you saying that these co-ordinates define THAT centre view point? Because that depends also in your position and direction you're looking at at the moment of re-centre. For me it's enough to quickly re-adjust by looking at the other seat checking if my headis at the correct height making sure my neck is touching the headrest of the chair. 

As for the other post in this thread: There seems to be a myth being kept alive that VR is only for the rich and happy few. This is nonsense. Being able to enjoy PMDG aircraft in VR has cost me about 435 euro's (Rift and Flyinside).For a game changing experience this is not expensive, especially when compared to money one can spend on less important softwared or hardware to support this hobby (essential hardware like a good yoke, pedals etc excepted). And YES, you get a 1 to 1 world in stereo view as the OP described which is BLOODY FANTASTIC. Sorry to shout here but after a few months of monitoring the forums i am dissappointed to have noticed that VR is not getting the momentum it deserves and how many misconceptions are still responsible for that.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

8 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

that VR is not getting the momentum it deserves and how many misconceptions are still responsible for that.

I think the main thing that holds many people off IS in fact the price. We all know very well how fast computer technology changes and moves on so paying several hundred euros for a first generation technology is a thing that I personally will not do. I prefer waiting for the technology to mature and for addon developers to jump on this train. So did I with smartphones and so will I do with VR. 

But I see your enthusiasm. I know what you mean, I have changed from my small computer screen to a big TV minitor and taxiing the 747 or 777 using Track IR really gives a feeling of height. 

Should those values be entered in the appropriate aircraft cfg? Also, does anyone have something similar for the 737?

I’m about to give VR a try, my headset (Samsung Odyssey) should arrive today. 

Pretty excited. 

2 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

I have changed from my small computer screen to a big TV minitor and taxiing the 747 or 777 using Track IR really gives a feeling of height.

Great!

Now multiply that feeling X 100 🙂

I can tell, because i've followed the same route during the last 20 yrs or so, starting with small monitor ->then 3 small monitors + TrackIR -> then 1 big 50 inch tv screen + TrackIR etc, and now this....

• Like 1

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I have had the rift since release but i find it just too difficult to interact with the aircraft.

The immersion is something you have to see to believe but diminished interaction and poor resolution aren't there yet.

16 hours ago, avhpilot said:

I don't exactly follow...

I use FlyInside + FSX SE + Oculus Rift. I have assigned 6 buttons to move my viewpoint in 3D space (X Y Z) quickly in case the re-centre button action (via FlyInside binding) gets me off. Re-centre action is needed sometimes when changing views (A + S keyboard buttons).Are you saying that these co-ordinates define THAT centre view point? Because that depends also in your position and direction you're looking at at the moment of re-centre. For me it's enough to quickly re-adjust by looking at the other seat checking if my headis at the correct height making sure my neck is touching the headrest of the chair. 

i use the p3dv4 native vr , recenters to those coordinates which give the proper perspective within 3d space.

4 hours ago, Zentosi said:

I have had the rift since release but i find it just too difficult to interact with the aircraft.

The immersion is something you have to see to believe but diminished interaction and poor resolution aren't there yet.

not an issue for me, have buttons on ch yoke, throttle quadrant mapped to the usual functions (ap, toga, trim, at disco, etc.), the mouse does the rest.  if keyboard has to be accessed, just peek down the opening down the nose...

as for poor resolution, running with oculus tray with >1.8 supersampling clears things a lot (turn asw off), one doesn't need to see the smallest detail in the vc to know what the instruments are saying (90% or 91% EPR, splitting hair).  it's personal preference so depends on what one values: 3d immersion or 2d clarity.  for me personally, the 55" 4k with tir has been nice but will fly flight sim in the rift any day.  

I somewhat agree it is pretty good but using the FMC and setting altitudes and so on for me aren't possible.

Besides using supersampling to get more clarity, I also found another neat little trick to see small text in VR. I lean in a bit....😊

On 5/9/2018 at 6:47 PM, Ephedrin said:

I think the main thing that holds many people off IS in fact the price. We all know very well how fast computer technology changes and moves on so paying several hundred euros for a first generation technology is a thing that I personally will not do. I prefer waiting for the technology to mature and for addon developers to jump on this train. So did I with smartphones and so will I do with VR. 

But I see your enthusiasm. I know what you mean, I have changed from my small computer screen to a big TV minitor and taxiing the 747 or 777 using Track IR really gives a feeling of height. 

My thoughts exactly.

thanks everyone for offering up your thoughts.

Brian Nellis

3 hours ago, Copper. said:

thanks everyone for offering up your thoughts.

It also depends on where you're at in the development.

If you already have invested in big screen(s) and TIR, then yes, it's understandable to wait for 2nd gen VR.

I have a PC that was top of the range in 2010 but now only half (or less) decent to run VR on, yet, I enjoy the immersion so much that I will never go back to 2D, not for all the biggest 2D in the world, not even if they're curved or the top of the range. It does not matter. The difference is quite simply this: Do you want to be INSIDE the cockpit or OUTSIDE the cockpit looking at a representation of it? No matter how big or good your 2d screen is,. you will only understand the difference when experienced.

I will continue to enjoy 1st gen VR and wait for 3rd generation VR perhaps.

P.S. interaction with the mouse in VR works OK for me as long as the framerates are acceptible. Resolution is not an issue. you get used to it and it ain't all THAT bad as some would suggest. And indeed. moving your head closer to the instruments when you need clarity is easy enough.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---

Ultimately, it depends on what it is you're trying to do. I'm not sure if I ever see myself using VR. For one, I wear glasses, and the last time I tried VR goggles, the only way I could get them to fit was for me to take my glasses off, which doesn't help since I can't see without my glasses. In addition, I run a 3-monitor setup since I do live streams of my flights. The flight simulator itself is in the center screen, of course. The left screen is for charts, flight plan, and anything pertaining to the flight, whilst the right screen is to monitor the chat in the stream. So it certainly wouldn't work out for me.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

Ultimately, it depends on what it is you're trying to do. I'm not sure if I ever see myself using VR. For one, I wear glasses, and the last time I tried VR goggles, the only way I could get them to fit was for me to take my glasses off, which doesn't help since I can't see without my glasses. In addition, I run a 3-monitor setup since I do live streams of my flights. The flight simulator itself is in the center screen, of course. The left screen is for charts, flight plan, and anything pertaining to the flight, whilst the right screen is to monitor the chat in the stream. So it certainly wouldn't work out for me.

I don't think the solution to that is so far off. You can already import windows from other programs into VR through either FlyInside or with natively with Oculus Rift Core 2.0, so you could have your charts and your chat window. Typing on the keyboard would be a different matter, but there are already hardware in the making that will be visible inside VR, gloves, mice , keyboards etc. So don't say never! 😊

Edited by andreh