Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

744 and 777 VC eyepoint for VR users

1 hour ago, andreh said:

I don't think the solution to that is so far off. You can already import windows from other programs into VR through either FlyInside or with natively with Oculus Rift Core 2.0, so you could have your charts and your chat window. Typing on the keyboard would be a different matter, but there are already hardware in the making that will be visible inside VR, gloves, mice , keyboards etc. So don't say never! 😊

If you've ever seen any of my live streams, it's definitely not just the flight simulator screen you see. It would quite likely look rather ridiculous for me to be on screen with goggles on.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Cost!!!  There are a lot out there second hand, about $250, some never opened.

Glasses,,, I wear glasses, but take them off when in VR. There is a company that will make lenses on your prescription. about $100. I am going to go that route soon.

I use the mouse, not a problem. I make all my take-0ffs, and landing in VR, usually flying the NGX, or 747.

I am looking forward to seeing VR set-ups, at the 2018 Expo., and meeting others on Saturday.

The VR, is not perfect, but, WAY better than 2D.

If you have the Rift, now check out, Rapid Fire, a free demo., on flying.  Or, go to BestBuy, on a week-end, and ask for a demo., watching Rapid Fire.

Jerry Friz  see you in Vegas

• Like 1

I have to agree. After literally just a handful of flights with my Samsung Odyssey, which has a slightly higher resolution and a cheaper price tag, I can’t imagine going back to flying on a flat screen. The immersion makes you forget the lower resolution. The feeling of being in those PMDG cockpits is extremely cool. I can’t wait for this technology to keep evolving, but even as it is today, it’s more than enough for me. 

1 hour ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I have to agree. After literally just a handful of flights with my Samsung Odyssey, which has a slightly higher resolution and a cheaper price tag, I can’t imagine going back to flying on a flat screen. The immersion makes you forget the lower resolution. The feeling of being in those PMDG cockpits is extremely cool. I can’t wait for this technology to keep evolving, but even as it is today, it’s more than enough for me. 

Indeed. I've given up on 2D period. I was never much of a gamer anyway, but I only do VR now, even other games like Elite:Dangerous, shooters etc. All VR. Actually being there is far superior to "watching TV with interactive elements".

Edited by andreh

On 5/14/2018 at 7:18 PM, avhpilot said:

It also depends on where you're at in the development.

If you already have invested in big screen(s) and TIR, then yes, it's understandable to wait for 2nd gen VR.

I have a PC that was top of the range in 2010 but now only half (or less) decent to run VR on, yet, I enjoy the immersion so much that I will never go back to 2D, not for all the biggest 2D in the world, not even if they're curved or the top of the range. It does not matter. The difference is quite simply this: Do you want to be INSIDE the cockpit or OUTSIDE the cockpit looking at a representation of it? No matter how big or good your 2d screen is,. you will only understand the difference when experienced.

I will continue to enjoy 1st gen VR and wait for 3rd generation VR perhaps.

P.S. interaction with the mouse in VR works OK for me as long as the framerates are acceptible. Resolution is not an issue. you get used to it and it ain't all THAT bad as some would suggest. And indeed. moving your head closer to the instruments when you need clarity is easy enough.

I am consistently inside real cockpits anyway. I don’t feel a need to go that deep. Although I appreciate others do and encourage it if that’s what’s wanted. I just don’t think the technology has developed to the point where it is a justifiable spend. Kind of like the whole iPhone release many years ago. There’s no doubt vr will change our world, but it has some maturing to do before mass uptake -at which point the spend would obviously justified.

I also have NEVER spent good money chasing the latest technology... a general rule applied to everything in my life, as I know that technology will most likely depreciate in a year or two due to rapid development and reduction in demand. Two exceptions to this for me have been the acquisition of the latest and greatest phone and also gpu for my computer some years ago. Both continue to serve their purpose very well and I’m not fussed that I paid top dollar for them as they are returning on their value and punch with the heavy weights of today. I run a very economical build that does more than run fsx or P3D and the spend when I first built it was 1400. I do not allow myself to spend more than 600 a year on pc upgrades - if that. I use a second hand 10 dollar Logitech 3D pro controller and that’s it!

My needs and wants are very different to others. I don’t see the value in buying a vr purely for flight sim, even if money weren’t an issue I would still pause to consider. But that’s me. I would love to try somebody else’s vr to see how it stacks up to the real deal. I’m very meticulous, and fastidious judge.

Brian Nellis

VR is one of those things where “seeing is believing.”  

For $400 one can get a HMD that’s perfectly suitable for flight sim and yes, next gen HW will improve performance on the margins (wider FOV, higher resolution, larger focal sweet spot) but again, unless experienced, it’s hard to accept how good the 1st gen consumer model is—supersample tendering in full 3D...

I’ve tried 3D goggles in the past and have a nice 4k tv with trackIR, but VR is without a doubt a more immersive and realistic way to enjoy flying airplanes like the PMDG tubeliners (and helicopters, fighters, etc.).  Can’t read and program the FMC in VR?  Well, I need to lean forward towards it, just like one would do in the real cockpit.

Trying VR with new or 2nd hand HW is getting cheaper so if one already has capable HW (CPU, gfx card), it’s definitely a good time to give it a try.  I got my OR CV1 few months ago half expecting to return it to Best Buy after getting disappointed with 1st gen HW but once I “sat” inside the PMDG 744, I became a true believer in VR. 

Seeing is believing. Life is short.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I have no doubt vr will be the thing of the future. Like the old flat screen tv situation, they just need to come down in price first and then there’d be a huge uptake I’d anticipate.

as for leaning in to see the cdu’s. You do not need to in the real aircraft. Often I use them from behind the pedestal and can read them fine whilst back there and prone. So that is in fact a difference between the vr and real life. Albeit, I don’t think it a big and dramatic issue but it might get annoying after a while.

dont get me wrong, you’re doing very well to convince me in buying one. You should be a salesman 🙂 

but I do have other goals and hobbies to achieve and improve at. I also love to travel the world which is a money pit in itself.

... one day though.... one day.

Brian Nellis

Actually. I returned mine. Not because of the price, as I think it’s really not bad for the immersion level you get. But because of the very low resolution and performance you’re getting compared to monitor flying. I’m going to wait until vr looks as good as my monitor does before jumping in. Even though the immersion factor was indeed really cool. It wasn’t enough to convince me to switch completely at this time 

and we haven't even mentioned the awesome (although i despise using that word),     yes 'awesome' wing views or any other 'looking at the aircraft from outside' views.

What I mean is standing in front of a 747 and looking heads up with the same sensation as if you'd be looking at 2/3 story high building. 

Glasses, yes i wear them, cannot see without them, no issue for the rift. i can image that 'big' glasses/spectacles could be an issue, yes.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:56 AM, kdfw__ said:

it's personal preference so depends on what one values: 3d immersion or 2d clarity.  for me personally, the 55" 4k with tir has been nice but will fly flight sim in the rift any day.  

I would guess that spatial awareness is also preferable to being able to read fonts on the gauges clearly.

Hi Folks,

I live South of Sea-Tac,[KSEA]  and right on the approach path to 34R. So ,I  always make my approaches to 34R. I can look down from 5,000 feet and see my house,, plus all the other small airports in the area. How cool is that?   [I usually am set up for auto land, so I can look around]

Jerry Friz

But don't your eyes start hurting after a while? I can sit in front of my 55in 4k tv for hours (just ask my wife, she'll vouch for that) and not get any eye strain. I really don't think you'll want to sit for hours wearing VR? 

Eric 

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

But don't your eyes start hurting after a while? I can sit in front of my 55in 4k tv for hours (just ask my wife, she'll vouch for that) and not get any eye strain. I really don't think you'll want to sit for hours wearing VR? 

no eye strain but not a problem taking vr off and use the 55" 4k while in cruise phase and surf the web, then putting vr back on for descent/land.   

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

My eyes would hurt even on a 2d screen if I did not get up....   I take off the head set on climb out, back on again  for the approach, and auto-land..... Can't see a lot at 30k feet, on auto-pilot anyway. 

Even when I am not simming,,, I get up and move around every 20-30 minutes.

Jerry Friz,   See ya at the expo on Saturday.

Using supersampling to make the image clearer will help with the eyes. My rig can manage 1.8 on most applications including P3Dv4. Everything is decently clear then. Can even read the FMC without too much trouble.