Sign in to follow this  
Wanthuyr Filho

Moon size still too large

Hello ALL,

I just can't make the moon smaller, I changed the .CFG extensively (up to 2 digit numbers) and it still appears enormous in the sky. The same for the sun, but the sun I understand there's a flare factor and all, but the moon size really bothers me and I can't find a way to make it smaller. I have a 55 inches screen @ 4k resolution and I use the 0.7 zoom factor inside the virtual cockpit and 1.0 (or whatever ChasePlane makes it default) outside view. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Assuming your are a P3D V4 user, are you editing this file :

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\suneffect.cfg

?

If you are editing a suneffect.cfg that is in your main P3D directory (which may have been installed by an addon) it won't have any effect

I share the settings I am using :

[general]
SunSize=800
MoonSize=800

Edited by RockOla
  • Like 1

If using HDR, I think these CFG figures are meaningless. But I might be wrong.

IM

5 hours ago, RockOla said:

Assuming your are a P3D V4 user, are you editing this file :

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\suneffect.cfg

?

If you are editing a suneffect.cfg that is in your main P3D directory (which may have been installed by an addon) it won't have any effect

I share the settings I am using :

[general]
SunSize=800
MoonSize=800

Both true, v4.2 user and the .CFG from the ProgramData

3 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

If using HDR, I think these CFG figures are meaningless. But I might be wrong.

IM

Might well be the case, since I use HDR and it seems to make no difference whatsoever. But I managed to correct this situation by changing the moon texture and by editing the associated corona and flare stuff to the sun, now both are much more natural looking.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

The size of the Sun is a big problem in P3D on my PC. I use REX Essential Plus, and I have tried reducing the "SunSize" setting......but it does not make a difference. When It rises above the atmospheric haze near the horizon, it looks like a white supergiant star. The Earth would melt if the real Sun looked like that.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The size of the Sun is a big problem in P3D on my PC. I use REX Essential Plus, and I have tried reducing the "SunSize" setting......but it does not make a difference. When It rises above the atmospheric haze near the horizon, it looks like a white supergiant star. The Earth would melt if the real Sun looked like that.

And the moon as well, the ones included on SkyForce, at least on my rig. That's why I had to search something else.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

12 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Both true, v4.2 user and the .CFG from the ProgramData

Might well be the case, since I use HDR and it seems to make no difference whatsoever. But I managed to correct this situation by changing the moon texture and by editing the associated corona and flare stuff to the sun, now both are much more natural looking.

Thanks!

That’s how I reduced the sun size. I found a REX texture that I was happy with. Unfortunately I prefer the default moon texture (looks round) and therefore I put up with the slight oversized appearance.

IM

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I'm with Steve on this one... the apparent size of either the moon or the sun (they are the same apparent size, one of those wonderment's of the universe) should be about the same as your thumbnail. The perceived size near the horizon is larger but it is still about a thumbnail.

Dan Downs KCRP

I do not have a problem with the size of the Moon in P3D v3.4. However, the Sun is much larger when it gets above the atmospheric haze near the horizon.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png