Sign in to follow this  
serviceceiling

Short trip with the DC6

Thought I'd share these from a recent short hop and back with the DC6. Enjoy.

2018-5-5_16-38-21-93ghrth.jpg 

2018-5-5_16-42-15-666lbqq9.jpg 

2018-5-5_16-58-24-953iprid.jpg 

2018-5-5_17-16-32-78019ojl.jpg 

2018-5-5_18-6-43-400jxpvd.jpg 

2018-5-5_20-39-45-279uvq7t.jpg 

2018-5-5_20-40-6-750znoj6.jpg 

2018-5-5_21-7-48-906s4o7l.jpg 

2018-5-5_21-47-9-434rqoey.jpg 

2018-5-5_21-48-45-974ogrkp.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Lately I've been totally absorbed in the 6. The folks who are too young don't know what they missed if they never rode on a DC6 or 7, or a Martin or Convair or even a DC3. Those planes had a character lost with the kerosene powered cattle cars. 

Nice shots .

• Like 3

Vic green

I love short hops in the DC6... I've rediscovered the $100 hamburger by hopping up I-37 from Corpus Christi to San Antonio Stinson (KSSF) about 100 nm, one of those wonderful places that still has an on-airport diner.  You're likely to see some rarities on the ramp there, as it is an historic place being the 2d oldest airport in the country and home to the Texas Air Museum.  A slightly longer short hop over to Houston's David Wayne Hooks field (KDWH) encounters a larger well established diner with food so good that the flight line of this GA airport usually has an AFR C17 or two on the weekend.... they will fly to where the lunch is worth stopping for. Right under the approach to KIAH, one has to be alert and aware of where you are with regards to the airspace, but the tower-equipped airport is a great place to visit.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Lately I've been totally absorbed in the 6. The folks who are too young don't know what they missed if they never rode on a DC6 or 7, or a Martin or Convair or even a DC3. Those planes had a character lost with the kerosene powered cattle cars. 

Nice shots .

I agree, those old radials really do have a soul and each engine has it's own character. The sound is also something unmatched and all new turbine engines are only getting quieter and quieter. It's really a different, very tactile and "raw" kind of flying. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2018 at 10:40 AM, Pappyhep said:

Loved the 'down the wing' shot.  Brought back memories.

Read my mind - that was my favorite as well!

• Upvote 2