Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

How to get white(er) clouds?

This has been driving me nuts.  Almost always my clouds are very dark, a blue-ish grey color.  Time of day will change them one way or another but only slightly.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm not sure if they are default textures or not??

How can I get them more white?  Top is the sim obviously and the bottom, more or less what I've seen when flying for real.  There are parts that are dark from the shadows - the bottoms of the clouds, and middle portions in shadow, but overall they should be so much whiter with such sparse cloud coverage.  Can anyone offer some suggestions?  Is this a texture thing?  I also refuse to fly with HDR - can't stand what it does.

41943443182_a6d949e33a_o.jpgdarkclouds by ryan b, on Flickr

41943521492_0ca4874bf8_o.jpgreallifeclouds by ryan b, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To me, that looks like your shaders are messed up or something because even my default clouds are nowhere near that dark. Try deleting your shader files and letting the sim rebuild them. 

Are you running PTA? There are settings in there that will brighten the clouds. 

Also, are you using default sky/cloud textures? I know kiwi_biplane from here has created custom sky textures that brighten up the sim including clouds. ASCA and REX should also have clouds that are brighter.

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

You need PTA for that.

Take a look at my vids in my signature to see how it can look with PTA.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Also HDR Settings can change the brightness of clouds quiet dramatically. Start off with some recommendations for the three HDR sliders and then adjust to your needs.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

...Almost always my clouds are very dark, a blue-ish grey color...

This is very similar to the use of custom sky textures, which determine the value of color and brightness for the clouds. This situation is possible if only textures are used, and the PTA preset is not used or is not recommended. Usually the use of PTA also implies the inclusion of HDR with the appropriate parameters. If you do not use PTA and do not turn on HDR, then to return the correct color to the clouds, you need to set the sky textures (not clouds!) with another encoding of cloud lighting. For example, to return the sky textures by default.

Regards

Edited by kiwi_biplane

Gennadiy

I use even EVNTEX and EVNSHADE and mine are white, even the default clouds.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

You're saying sky colors influence the cloud colors?  Actually I think I am using eddieskypack or something like that

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The sky texture used in the sim has a row of color on top that controls the shading of the cloud. Try revert to original sky texture and try again. For me, to spend extra $ buying external utility just to make the clouds look 'white' is just unacceptable.

• Like 1