Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

11.30 will be Even Better !

In a message exchanged with Austin a couple of days ago where I was asking something regarding rotary wing dynamics, I was told he's deeply working in the fine tuning of X-Plane 11 overall rotor flight dynamics, bringing nice updates for XP11.30 :-) 

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'd be happy with the Vulcan updates 🙂

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hmmm, not sure Vulkan will make it's way into it.... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Maybe in 11.40/50 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I wish an update would be made to the X-15.  I cannot get it to gain altitude after the B52 drop, even on full thrust.

I emailed Austin about it but he could not reply.

John

Awaiting Vulkan with a Vulkan Ready AMD GPU . I did read somewhere that Vulkan will be introduced in 11.30 

The other thing would be the rotor FDM 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I'd rather they fixed the broken aircraft dynamics, especially ground handling and crosswind interaction, before starting work on other areas.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, tutmeister said:

I'd rather they fixed the broken aircraft dynamics, especially ground handling and crosswind interaction, before starting work on other areas.

Laminar isn't a large company, but it has enough staff to work on several things at the same time. My understanding is that Austin does most (if not all) of the work on flight and engine modeling, while others are working on Vulkan and Metal Api integration, VR support, scenery updates, etc. Improvement in one area doesn't necessarily come at the cost of something else. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Chris

I agree, but Austin confirmed he's at it. We will be able to use the alternative flight dynamics as an option too as far as I can understand from his message.

Main Simulation Rig:

13 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Laminar isn't a large company, but it has enough staff to work on several things at the same time. My understanding is that Austin does most (if not all) of the work on flight and engine modeling, while others are working on Vulkan and Metal Api integration, VR support, scenery updates, etc. Improvement in one area doesn't necessarily come at the cost of something else. 

This is my point exactly. Instead of fixing the flight and ground dynamics he leaves it and goes off on a tangent rather than concentrating on ground handling until it is fixed, then concentrating on cross wind until it is fixed etc. I fully understand other people work on other features like fms or avionics or Vulcan or vr or any number of other things. However, it is the dynamics that are broken while the other things are nice to have but Austin only works on what ever he is in the mood to work on.

I must admit that better weather would be nice too though. If only hifi would get involved! I’m not sure if X-Plane can handle that many levels and vertical modelling even with third party add ons.

Getting impatient! I just want it to hurry up and get better!

Chris

Edited by tutmeister
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, tutmeister said:

This is my point exactly. Instead of fixing the flight and ground dynamics he leaves it and goes off on a tangent rather than concentrating on ground handling until it is fixed, then concentrating on cross wind until it is fixed etc. I fully understand other people work on other features like fms or avionics or Vulcan or vr or any number of other things. However, it is the dynamics that are broken while the other things are nice to have but Austin only works on what ever he is in the mood to work on.

I must admit that better weather would be nice too though. If only hifi would get involved! I’m not sure if X-Plane can handle that many levels and vertical modelling even with third party add ons.

Getting impatient! I just want it to hurry up and get better!

Chris

But Chris....

The FDM uses the sophisticated blade element momentum theory. This is the unobtainium tech that Eurocopter, Airbus and Boeing have never evolved from during the past 50 years and the implementation of which in X-plane we do not know anything about. After all, the EC145, A350 and 787 are no better than the S46, A300 and 707 aerodynamically because the same methods are used, hence the same results are obtained. No one could ever improve BEMT because this is already pure perfection, so why should Austin devote time to that?

The name sounds fancy and it impresses the unsuspecting crowds so it has to be the right way and the real deal even if you cannot land in a crosswind. Crosswind landings that you see everyday at airports worldwide are just a mirage, an illusion of the fifth kind. These airplanes, they never land safely as the aircraft always end up in ditches along the runways. You just do not realize it. What you see or what you believe you see when an aircraft taxi to the gate is a mere illusion. They all end up in ditches, like the Fedex MD11 at Narita. Make no mistake.

Just like in X-Plane 11 with the fancy BEMT corrected for tip losses, hub losses, Prandtl Glauert compression effects, and possibly low Reynolds numbers for small trike vehicles.What are you thinking?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Minos said:

But Chris....

The FDM uses the sophisticated blade element momentum theory. This is the unobtainium tech that Eurocopter, Airbus and Boeing have never evolved from during the past 50 years and the implementation of which in X-plane we do not know anything about. After all, the EC145, A350 and 787 are no better than the S46, A300 and 707 aerodynamically because the same methods are used, hence the same results are obtained. No one could ever improve BEMT because this is already pure perfection, so why should Austin devote time to that?

The name sounds fancy and it impresses the unsuspecting crowds so it has to be the right way and the real deal even if you cannot land in a crosswind. Crosswind landings that you see everyday at airports worldwide are just a mirage, an illusion of the fifth kind. These airplanes, they never land safely as the aircraft always end up in ditches along the runways. You just do not realize it. What you see or what you believe you see when an aircraft taxi to the gate is a mere illusion. They all end up in ditches, like the Fedex MD11 at Narita. Make no mistake.

Just like in X-Plane 11 with the fancy BEMT corrected for tip losses, hub losses, Prandtl Glauert compression effects, and possibly low Reynolds numbers for small trike vehicles.What are you thinking?

Austin has always acknowledged the limitations of XP native flight model (after all, who's better aware of them, but the person who codes it?), and infact he has constantly worked on it, on every XP version, to make improvements.

Admittedly, in some areas like the crosswind forces on bodies like fuselage and others, it should have been further improved for years (although it is currently being worked on). Same for water physics, etc.

Also, you would be very naive to think that the designer of a 3rd party aircraft is not the crucial element in determining the accuracy of its flight model. Plane-maker allows designers a lot of control over the aerodynamic forces acting on the aircraft, so if their creations act unrealistically in a crosswind, blame firstly them for not making enought test flights (unless the culprit is the modeling of ground friction, but in this case your discussion about flight model and BEMT is not relevant, because we're talking a completely different aspect of the physics modeling).

Regarding the sarcastic remarks about the "fancy sounding BEMT impressing the unsuspecting crowds", shall I remember you that most (all) of the newer generation flight sims with a focus on accurate flight models use some form of BEMT (DCS, IL-2, Condor Soaring, etc.)? Evidently it's not just a fancy name, but has some merits to it.

Of course (and differently from XP which has a very different nature as an "open" sim), in all of the above flight sims each different flight model is painstakingly tweaked and tuned to give them the required accuracy compared to the real aircraft. Something that people often forgot.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

Regarding the sarcastic remarks about the "fancy sounding BEMT impressing the unsuspecting crowds", shall I remember you that most (all) of the newer generation flight sims with a focus on accurate flight models use some form of BEMT (DCS, IL-2, Condor Soaring, etc.)? Evidently it's not just a fancy name, but has some merits to it.

Oh yes. Don't get me wrong. I use it or some flavor of it everyday for my work. But just like everything in life, there are many flavors to it. In particular, there are good and bad implementations of it. There are plain vanilla BEMT that barely work and there are sophisticated ones that do work. And even then, BEMT does not always work i.e. descent and VRS for helicopters. 

What is wrong is hiding behind some fancy names that impress the unsuspecting crowd to refuse to fix glaring and elementary flaws in the ground dynamics / flight dynamics. It is unfortunate and painful to watch all the comments about these glaring flaws and to realize that nothing is done year after year. How many years did it take to fix the rolling issues / P factor issue or whatever it was that was crippling Xplane 11? 

But there was no issue. BEMT , of which we know nothing about the implementation, was perfect because this is the state of the art and it cannot be wrong. 

Well,

I kind of agree with some of your remarks Minos regarding the over-hyped by many X many years on X-Plane's "Ultra Realistic" flight simulation.

I was never convinced of it, since, for instance, I am yet to be able to model or experiment an add-on, free or payware, of a "vanilla" glider that satisfies me... It puzzles me why even a "simple" powerless, totally propwash or whatever wash unaffected aircraft can't be modelled acceptably, and yes, I've seen implementations of it in Silent Wings and Condorsoaring that really please me ( even more in SW ). In X-Plane I can't properly match the RW glider performance, maneuvers like "simple" sideslips don't feel right, flight beyond stall in gliders that have, for instance, a "mushing" type of stall aren't reproduced, etc.... All features that I do see very acceptably reproduced in Condor, SW, and even AEFS...

OTOH I have seen potential in some add-ons, and regarding rotary wing modelling, and while I do not understand because I am not an aeronautical engineer or have experience in the use of professional flight dynamics / CFD tools, I did use helicopters in previous versions that portrayed rather acceptably the effects of VRS, translational lift, translating tendency, transient power droop, weathervane instability ( well, that's actually true of all aircraft in XP11 🙂 ), loss of tail rotor effectiveness, TRVR and the like... Unfortunately we lost it along XP11, but Austin is working on bringing those features back.

He's also working actively on fine tuning ground physics.

Having no real alternative in the civil sim world right now (*), and having get fed up with using otherwise useless ( for me ) combat flight simulators like DCS amd IL-2, IL-2 being IMH simply the most enjoying experience in as far as "feel of flight" in a sim goes, I will have no other option but to wait for whatever 11.30 and upcoming version updates bring.

(*) unless it's P3Dv4 for the FSLabs A320 which uses an external FM engine, but the fact is that even in X-Plane it's FF A320 which also uses such an approach that better pleases me....

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig: