Sign in to follow this  

Samsung 65" 4K (8500 series) Setup and Configuration for PC sims/games

I actually made a video when I setup my Samsung 4K monitor that covers this in depth:

Skip to the 4:44 min mark thru 13:30 min ... the specific output range setting is discussed around the 6:00 min mark.  Be aware that all current flight simulators only operate at 8bit color but is full spectrum.  Also, need to be aware that whenever you update graphics drivers or do a Windows major update (like 1803) it will reset this back to default "Limited".

I can pin this if you folks think it's important?

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you very much for this Rob, although I dont have a 4k monitor (3 HD TVs in NVsurround) I have been plagued for a long time (years) by an awful colour gradient affecting the sky, the setting to use the full dynamic range has cured this, I never knew it was there.

Much obliged to you, Keith

Hi Rob, I also read that there is an HDMI limitation where you can only do 4:4:4 chroma and 8 bit, or 4:2:2 and 10. This doesn't occur with displayport.

Edited by DylanM

Hi Rob,

Bought the Samsung QLED 6 (QN49Q6F) and set it up per your specs, I cannot say enough about this display, depiction is so smooth.  Thanks for the tip!

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Rob nice setup, could you tell me what those 2 monitors you use on the left and right? I plan on getting something like that, and what resolution to you run those monitors at?

Can you please post the specs to your machine. Do you see any performance decrease by adding 2 additional monitors to your setup vs running a single 4k setup?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 6/21/2018 at 12:14 AM, HUSSAR said:

Hi Rob,

Bought the Samsung QLED 6 (QN49Q6F) and set it up per your specs, I cannot say enough about this display, depiction is so smooth.  Thanks for the tip!

Rob

I'm contemplating that very same TV. Your comments on it are very encouraging. If only Best buy would put it on sale soon...

On 5/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I actually made a video when I setup my Samsung 4K monitor that covers this in depth:

Those in the UK are lucky tonight.  They have the new Samsung MONITOR (meaning not a TV), 43 inches wide at 120 Hz.and about $772 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FB39NGH with free shipping.

At 120 hz, one can use the 3D glasses and enjoy the game even more!  They have a 49" version too at about $1082 (measuring my computer desk right now to see if possible).  QLED too.  Only 40GB's of data can be sent to the monitor though (but I'm sure they will improve that! 😂).

Coming soon to the USA.  Throw away those 65 inch TV's!  I will be soon!  Well, not really but I will be losing my 34" Dell monitor soon. 

More info here - https://www.techspot.com/news/76160-samsung-debuts-first-ever-thunderbolt-3-qled-displays.html

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

17 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Those in the UK are lucky tonight.  They have the new Samsung MONITOR (meaning not a TV), 43 inches wide at 120 Hz.and about $772 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FB39NGH with free shipping.! 😂

Coming soon to the USA.  Throw away those 65 inch TV's!  I will be soon!  Well, not really but I will be losing my 34" Dell monitor soon. 

Jim

After using a 65" for awhile those letter box ultra wides just look weird. Now if you could vertically stack three of them...... 🙂

gb.

• Like 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I have the Samsung 65" TV and will have to hook my computer up to it just to see what it looks like.  I just think it is all getting to be too much and starting to get away from reality of the real world of flight simulation.  But, that's me.  I can't wait to hook up my 10 i7 8086K computers and network them with my 10 8800K systems, with each core overclocked to 5.0GHz, with 4600 MHz RAM filling each simm slot (80 pieces of RAM) and see if my six Nvidia 1080i's in sli can make P3DV4 look any better.  Someday I'm going to stop all of my testing and learn how to fly and enjoy this hobby.  😎

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, Guest said:

Skip to the 4:44 min mark thru 13:30 min ... the specific output range setting is discussed around the 6:00 min mark.  Be aware that all current flight simulators only operate at 8bit color but is full spectrum.  Also, need to be aware that whenever you update graphics drivers or do a Windows major update (like 1803) it will reset this back to default "Limited".

I can pin this if you folks think it's important?

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks so much for this video.  I just got a 43" samsung Q60R.  I was wondering if you would share your nvidia+P3d settings?  The P3D settings in NVIDIA I mean.  I set my samsung to 30hz.  But I still have some weather situations where I'm getting weather/ai/scenery and getting frames in the 20's.  So obviously it's causing stutters.  Thanks so much

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next