james42

Radar Contact too quite after update

Hi everyone, since the latest Windows 10 update Radar Contact has become almost silent with the ATC voices being extremely quiet to the point where i am unable to hear them over the aircraft. Everything was fine yesterday before i installed the update, I haven't changed anything in my setup since then. I've noticed the same thing has happened to the GSX ground crew voices as well. I'm running P3Dv4 with Windows 10 pro. Any help appreciated with this strange issue.   

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Check your Volume Mixer ( right-click the little speaker icon next to the windows clock on the task bar), when you run Radar Contact there will be a volume column for RC 4.3, just raise the volume; same for GSX. 

Thanks for the reply but I've just had a hard drive failure so my flight sim pc is in the hands of my pc expert so I'm unable to check that right now, but ill be sure to check that as soon I get my pc back.  

I also have the same problem.  Raising the RC volume with the Volume Mixer doesn't solve it.  

Don't know about James, but in my case, I can hear the RC voices at normal volume when I disable the P3D4 sounds (using 'Q'), but very quiet when P3D4 sound is enabled.  It's like the RC voices are far behind the sim sounds.  Like James, I had not changed anything, other than the Win10 update.  I've now updated the sound drivers, specifically from the mother board web site, but this also doesn't solve the problem.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SAX702 said:

I also have the same problem.  Raising the RC volume with the Volume Mixer doesn't solve it.  

Don't know about James, but in my case, I can hear the RC voices at normal volume when I disable the P3D4 sounds (using 'Q'), but very quiet when P3D4 sound is enabled.  It's like the RC voices are far behind the sim sounds.  Like James, I had not changed anything, other than the Win10 update.  I've now updated the sound drivers, specifically from the mother board web site, but this also doesn't solve the problem.  

Only Windows 7 or Vista provide a mixer accessible via the system tray.

It's no longer there in Windows 10.

A lot of people aren't aware of a particular feature Microsoft built into the OS since Vista.

Windows tries to be helpful by reducing the audio volume of applications it deems are background tasks (like Radar Contact or even our own Multi Crew Experience application).

The idea was that if someone rang you on Skype, it would be nice if Windows reduced volume level of current app, once it's no longer the active one.

Some people resorted to using the "Mixer" workaround. Which was the only option in Vista.

Luckily, since Windows 7, you can disable that auto-attenuate volume of background tasks via the Windows Control Panel.

Start <Audio> applet

In "Sound" properties window, go to <Communications> tab.

Ensure option "Do Nothing" is selected.

Edited by FS++
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, that was it.  In Windows 10, it's the Manage Audio Devices, then the Communications tab.  I can now hear the RC voices as before the patch.  I still hear the GSX voices kind of subdued, but that's OK for me.  Again, thank you.  

Not true about the mixer though!

It is most definitely present in Windows 10.

Ian Harrison

Had the same issue after Windows update and Gerald's solution solved it. Thank you.

Hate to revive old threads.  While this solution worked for me, it's back to the old behavior, even though the "Do Nothing" is checked.  It does work OK if I use my headphones, but not through the speakers.  Appreciate any help.  

Regards,

Dave

Edited by SAX702

On 9/14/2018 at 10:07 PM, SAX702 said:

Hate to revive old threads.  While this solution worked for me, it's back to the old behavior, even though the "Do Nothing" is checked.  It does work OK if I use my headphones, but not through the speakers.  Appreciate any help.  

Regards,

Dave

You aren't by chance using Discord while flying are you? Discord has an attenuation feature also is why I ask. And alot of folks  are on Discord nowadays. Just a thought.

14 hours ago, KRodrig1969 said:

You aren't by chance using Discord while flying are you?

Not using Discord.  Thank you.  

Dave

On 5/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, FS++ said:

Only Windows 7 or Vista provide a mixer accessible via the system tray.

It's no longer there in Windows 10.

A lot of people aren't aware of a particular feature Microsoft built into the OS since Vista.

Windows tries to be helpful by reducing the audio volume of applications it deems are background tasks (like Radar Contact or even our own Multi Crew Experience application).

The idea was that if someone rang you on Skype, it would be nice if Windows reduced volume level of current app, once it's no longer the active one.

Some people resorted to using the "Mixer" workaround. Which was the only option in Vista.

Luckily, since Windows 7, you can disable that auto-attenuate volume of background tasks via the Windows Control Panel.

Start <Audio> applet

In "Sound" properties window, go to <Communications> tab.

Ensure option "Do Nothing" is selected.

One of the best “little fixes” I’ve ever stumbled on.  Thank you.  Now if I can just get the engine sounds on the Majestic Q400 to not go quieter when I switch to external views. Hint hint 😀