Sign in to follow this  
crippy1

Good First Airliner

Hi all, I've been eyeing the CRJ700 as my first true airliner, simply because that is what flies into the local airports around here. I've seen so many mixed reviews all varying widely in dates since release.

Mostly, I am seeing CRJ's and Embraer series of jets fly in. Usually around an hour or so flight time. I haven't seen any Embraer addons that jump out at me as extraordinary high quality but I haven't looked into it that  much. I'm puzzled by the Aerosoft CRJ, it looks decent but so many mixed reviews...I would opt for the Dash-8, but those aircraft do not fly anywhere near my region of the country.

What do you guys think? What would you recommend to me as a first airliner? - For P3Dv4

(As far as experience, I have millions of years experience in G.A. stuff 😂)

Edited by crippy1

For a "first" airliner, the CRJ is a pretty tricky one to master, particularly with managing descents. I'd start off with something that has fully automated VNAV and LNAV to ease you into it. PMDG's 737NGX is the obvious choice for me. But it's quite pricey. Aerosoft's Airbus series is probably your best option. However, their current bus isn't compatible with P3Dv4 yet (you haven't told us what sim you are using). However they have a new version in development and it should be ready soon.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Just a suggestion: Feelthere's ERJ Series  Carendo's  Saab340.

• Upvote 2

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I would say that you will never get board with the NGX. Never!

I'm looking heavily at the Majestic Q400 as it is similar to a CRJ / ERJ but has a much higher quality reputation within the community. I feel it would also be good for the regional setting I would like to use.

However I am looking into the NGX, is this a really good aircraft to train / get started in from G.A.? If so I may take a larger focus on this as well, I am just not sure where to exactly start. Should I start with regionals? or is training on a NGX actually easier at first?

1 hour ago, crippy1 said:

However I am looking into the NGX, is this a really good aircraft to train / get started in from G.A.? If so I may take a larger focus on this as well, I am just not sure where to exactly start. Should I start with regionals? or is training on a NGX actually easier at first?

NGX would be the easier option in the first instance due to the higher level of automation, and above all  is a fantastic aircraft. Q400 will make you work much harder, and being a turboprop., needs to be handled somewhat differently but is equally a great aircraft.  

• Upvote 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The NGX is likely the easiest, however, I say that because my first complex add-ons were the Dreamfleet 737 and Level-D 767.  The NGX still requires a fair amount of learning to set up the flight.  Most people probably find the FMC the hardest to figure out, but it is the most intuitive of all the FMCs I've used.  The Dash-8 is a wonderful aircraft in the sim.  Handles well, very few, if any noticeable bugs, very low frame rates, high quality visuals.  The Dash-8 is very complex though and the FMC is not intuitive at all.  It has a steep learning curve. 

To me, the Boeing are the easiest to learn, and in some ways are so similar between each variant that transitioning is simple.  The PMDG 747 and 777 are not that dissimilar from the 737 that learning is like starting over.  Program the FMC properly, set up the plane, and press CMD with LNAV and VNAV after take off.  It's as easy as that.  Turn off the lights, retract flaps, turn a couple knobs and just monitor and set up for arrival.  The Dash-8 is much different.  Turn off aux pumps, fuel pumps, lights/flaps/gear, bleeds, and more.  Not impossible but challenging.

Edited by Orlaam
  • Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

NGX all the way. Great plane, tons of routes, liveries, great performance and great 3rd party sound packs. The CRJ still has issues and there working on yet another update for it. The Dash-8 is a great aircraft also but it takes more time to learn compared to the NGX. I’ve owned it since it came out for P3Dv4 and I’m still trying to master it. 

• Upvote 2

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Fantastic! Thank you all VERY much! I will begin to focus on the NGX. Do you all recommend purchasing the 737-600/700 Expansion pack as well? to learn on a bit of a smaller airframe? I know it is quite expensive for both at around $114 but I figure it is worth it though.

I've been using flightaware.com to try and view routes, does anyone know where I could get 'company routes' for different airlines?

Right now, I'm flying the PMDG Boeing 747-400, but I guess that also depends on how much automation you want to fly with. One other thing I should point out is that I believe PMDG might be planning on working on a new version of the 737, so I'm not sure if you want to get the NGX now or hold off until this new 737 comes out, seeing as nobody knows how far along they've gotten with it, and therefore when it would be released. That just comes down to personal preference. I don't have the NGX, so I can't really comment much on it, although I think the -800 is the more common variant out there.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

NGX , plus expansion pack funds permitting for a little additional versatility. You may want to consider the FS2 Crew as well for a virtual First Officer and to help you with some of the other duties of operating the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, crippy1 said:

Fantastic! Thank you all VERY much! I will begin to focus on the NGX. Do you all recommend purchasing the 737-600/700 Expansion pack as well? to learn on a bit of a smaller airframe? I know it is quite expensive for both at around $114 but I figure it is worth it though.

I've been using flightaware.com to try and view routes, does anyone know where I could get 'company routes' for different airlines?

600/700 expansion provides you with the model-specific system differences and the aircraft DO all fly slightly differently, certainly enough that you'll notice it.

One thing you could do is start with the 800/900 and if you enjoy the experience enough then branch out into the smaller models.

A couple of additional points to add to my post from earlier. I tend to fly a mix of GA and RPT stuff usually (although during PMDG beta periods I do 100% heavy iron!) and from that 'mixed mode' type of flying I would say the 737 is a good bridge with which to cross the GA/Airliner divide. You can operate it largely from takeoff to landing on autopilot, but equally it hand-flies very well and can even be flown in the pattern using a combination of pitch attitude and power settings and raw data.

Remember that the 737 is an aircraft that a lot of relatively inexperienced pilots start their airline career on, so it isn't a stretch to replicate that in the sim with your experience so far. If you are confident flying IFR in GA, and are meticulous with your forward planning, you shouldn't have too much trouble making that transition.

• Upvote 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, crippy1 said:

I don't think you'll ever get company routes.  Overall, most airlines have their route posted on flightaware.  It's also important to know that ATC will vector aircraft and sort of change the route in the flight.  Don't get too hung up on routes. 

Additionally, I prefer the -700 variant due to the slower approach speeds.  But the -800 is more popular/common.  i can land the -800 just fine, it's just a good 20 knots higher typically, so you have to be nice and stable.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Right now, I'm flying the PMDG Boeing 747-400, but I guess that also depends on how much automation you want to fly with. One other thing I should point out is that I believe PMDG might be planning on working on a new version of the 737, so I'm not sure if you want to get the NGX now or hold off until this new 737 comes out, seeing as nobody knows how far along they've gotten with it, and therefore when it would be released. That just comes down to personal preference. I don't have the NGX, so I can't really comment much on it, although I think the -800 is the more common variant out there.

I truly think the newer NG will be a long wait.  I'd be shocked if we saw it before 2 years.

• Upvote 2

- Chris

On 5/11/2018 at 12:06 AM, Orlaam said:

I truly think the newer NG will be a long wait.  I'd be shocked if we saw it before 2 years.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. That being said, would he be better off getting the NGX now or waiting. Like I said, that just comes down to personal preference. If he's going to be able to fly it enough to justify the cost of getting it, by all means, go for it. For someone like me who almost never gets to fly because I'm only home nine times out of the year for five days at a time, I wouldn't be able to fly it enough to be able to justify the cost before the new version came out, so for me personally, I'll wait. I mainly fly the Boeing 747-400 anyhow.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.