Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

Error applying preset

Whenever I try to apply a preset, I get errors like this

Applying preset C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\default.ini...
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\Cloud.fx not found
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\General.fx not found
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fx not found
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\FuncLibrary.fxh not found
Preset has been applied with errors. See log above
Shaders cache cleared

If I try to restore original P3D shaders, I get this error

ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\Cloud.fx not exists
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\General.fx not exists
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fx not exists
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\FuncLibrary.fxh not exists
Shader backup C:\P3D\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fxh has been restored to C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fxh
Shader backup C:\P3D\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess\HDR.hlsl has been restored to C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\HDR.hlsl
Shader backup C:\P3D\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess\FXAAResolve.hlsl has been restored to C:\Users\johnw\Desktop\Flight Sim Support\PTA tweak\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\FXAAResolve.hlsl
Shaders cache cleared

I'm just guessing here, but I get the sense that PTA never backed up the shaders originally. I think this may have been caused by my running PTA from the zip file download. It seemed to work, but maybe it couldn't figure out where to back up the shaders. Worst of all, having failed to make backups it merrily went ahead and did the modifications which it now doesn't recognize.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? If I'm right about this (and I really hope I'm wrong) this seems like sloppy error checking by the software. 

John Wiesenfeld

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Just an update on how I fixed this. Because I use Backblaze to back up my flightsim computer, I was able to download from them a copy of the ShadersHLSL folder as it was prior to downloading PTA. I replaced the four shader files and that allowed PTA to process the shader directory correctly. It would seem that even rudimentary error checking prior to making changes to the shader files (e.g., "Can I write to the the BACKUP folder? If no, then throw error code without further processing") would solve problems for at least some new users.

Having solved that problem does anyone know of useful presets as starting points for further exploration. I tried the SASS preset, but it yields a garish rendition on my system that made it very hard to read the flat panel displays in an FSL A320-X. Many thanks in advance.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.