Sign in to follow this  
SirTommy

What happened to my FSX sound?

Yesterday FSX was running fine in Win 10. Today the sound is crackly. Intro music, planes, everything. I thought maybe I had a speaker going bad, but it only happens with FSX.

So far I've tried:

• Switching the FSX sound settings from <default primary device> to Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
  • Various settings in Creative Audio Control Panel
  • Rebooting the PC
  • Reinstalling the sound card (have the newest driver)
  • Rebuilding the FSX config
  • Disabling the HD audio device and Real Tec audio device in Device manager (with PC restart)

Nothing works.

The two things I've changed recently were:

• Reinstalled Active Sky 2016 to resolve an error message I was getting from it.
  • Updated to newest Nvidia driver (not sure if graphics drivers mess with sound cards?).

This was yesterday and all seemed well after these two changes. The only other thing I know of that changed was that I went to bed and woke up today. Now the sound is all messed up.

This is exactly the kind of nightmare stuff I feared when moving to a new build with Win 10. I sure hope someone can help me out with this.

Thanks,

Tom

Problem solved (sort of). Sound works fine using on board sound rather than sound card. Maybe a driver issue with the card(?)

Still don't understand why the sound card only has issues with FSX.

Maybe someone can educate me on that. At least I have sound until I get the card working.

Tommy - Does this happen with all aircraft, or just a few select aircraft? And, is this limited to the aircraft that have sound alias'd to other aircraft?

Rick

Edited by RGus

4 hours ago, RGus said:

Tommy - Does this happen with all aircraft, or just a few select aircraft? And, is this limited to the aircraft that have sound alias'd to other aircraft?

Rick

I didn't try it with every aircraft, just the default baron and the default 737-800. I first noticed that the music on the start screen was crackling. Then I tried a couple planes and found that sound crackly as well.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with Active Sky 2016. It was giving me an error message and crashing the sim, so I did a reinstall per the website. After I got the sound working with the on board sound the Active Sky error returned. So, I did another reinstall and so far everything is fine. Just did a flight with the default 737 from KSDF to KLAX with no issues.

Now I'm flying Captain Sim 737-200 and it's doing fine.

It's all working, so, I'm afraid to tinker with anything else 😬. Seems like I've been tinkering about one hour for every 5 minutes of flying! 😊 This upgraded rig has been temperamental out of the gate, but I think it's finally stable (knock wood) and much better than my old rig.

supposed  you  tried  the  trick of pressing  q  twicw

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Tom - The reason I asked the questions that I did, here awhile back, some of my default aircraft and some add-on aircraft that had sound being alias'd to another aircraft, sound volume and clarity began falling off, and I too wondered if I was going to be having problems with my sound card(I believe mine sound is integrated)  I reached out to the flight simming community and one of the seasoned veterans suggested, to try to take the original sound folder which had the alias'd file, and rather than link the alias sound to another aircraft, move the original sound folder to a temp folder (for use later if the new attempt fails) and copy a 1) Sound folder and a 2) Soundai folder from another aircraft and directly paste these two folders to the aircraft that was giving you problems. It cleared my issues up "big time!" Now, I can't say this will clear up the music at the startup screen, as I had de-activated mine a long time ago (got tired of listening to the same 'ole, same 'ole!!

Downside of this move, the 2 folders alone will download 21mb to each aircraft. Worked for my problem aircraft! I now have the volume and the clarity it used to have.

If you want to "ride out the storm" a while longer until one of the seasoned veterans on here can sort it out for you, that's fine! When I read your post, I thought it sounded a lot like my issues that I was having, but then again, maybe not and you just spent a lot more time "chasing an unknown!" If Charlie Aron comes along, he has been doing this a long time and he can get quite creative in his fixes if he has the information available from the OP!

Good luck, one way or the other you will find the fix, I am sure! - Rick

10 hours ago, pete_auau said:

supposed  you  tried  the  trick of pressing  q  twicw

Nope. Never heard of that one. But I'll give it a shot.

8 hours ago, RGus said:

Tom - The reason I asked the questions that I did, here awhile back, some of my default aircraft and some add-on aircraft that had sound being alias'd to another aircraft, sound volume and clarity began falling off, and I too wondered if I was going to be having problems with my sound card(I believe mine sound is integrated)  I reached out to the flight simming community and one of the seasoned veterans suggested, to try to take the original sound folder which had the alias'd file, and rather than link the alias sound to another aircraft, move the original sound folder to a temp folder (for use later if the new attempt fails) and copy a 1) Sound folder and a 2) Soundai folder from another aircraft and directly paste these two folders to the aircraft that was giving you problems. It cleared my issues up "big time!" Now, I can't say this will clear up the music at the startup screen, as I had de-activated mine a long time ago (got tired of listening to the same 'ole, same 'ole!!

Downside of this move, the 2 folders alone will download 21mb to each aircraft. Worked for my problem aircraft! I now have the volume and the clarity it used to have.

If you want to "ride out the storm" a while longer until one of the seasoned veterans on here can sort it out for you, that's fine! When I read your post, I thought it sounded a lot like my issues that I was having, but then again, maybe not and you just spent a lot more time "chasing an unknown!" If Charlie Aron comes along, he has been doing this a long time and he can get quite creative in his fixes if he has the information available from the OP!

Good luck, one way or the other you will find the fix, I am sure! - Rick

Hmm...very interesting. Thanks for letting me know about this. I will ponder it. I like my sound card for some of its music playback options, but currently I don't have my music on this pc anyway. The integrated sound on the mobo is still giving me 5.1 surround and it's fine for flying. I'll probably reconnect the sound card later and see if I can tweak it. Also I'll try RGUS's suggestion. 

Tommy - I keep watching your post hoping one of the moderators would come along and help you with your problem. I see Jim Young is on, and helping others, let's hope he includes you this morning!

Rick

11 hours ago, RGus said:

Tommy - I keep watching your post hoping one of the moderators would come along and help you with your problem. I see Jim Young is on, and helping others, let's hope he includes you this morning!

Rick

Thanks. No hurry though, since I worked around it. Also, in my last post I said I would also try RGus's suggestion, but I meant to say pete_auau's suggestion (hit the Q key twice). Sorry about that.

Anyway, I've been trying to stop an Active Sky 2016 error from plaguing me, so I've been occupied with testing that and  haven't been worried about the sound. If it's not one thing, it's another I guess.🙄

I hear that about "if it's not one thing, it's another................." I surely hope one of these moderators comes along and gives you a hand! I noticed Jim Young seemed to be addressing newer posts, and yours didn't look like it was going to be answered. I replied with just a simple comment, knowing it would move your thread up with the newer posts! Oh well, maybe tomorrow?

Have a nice evening! - Rick

• Like 1

Hi Rick, the moderators are under no obligation to join in with threads, they aren't really there to answer questions, and will probably be just as stumped as you. they are there just to keep us all on track :)

3 hours ago, Mithras said:

Hi Rick, the moderators are under no obligation to join in with threads, they aren't really there to answer questions, and will probably be just as stumped as you. they are there just to keep us all on track :)

I guess I should not have loosely used the word moderators. I was referring to the people like CharlieAron, who I just looked is a moderator, and helps many of us along the way!

None of us are really obligated, but we do help others when we can!

Edited by RGus
added text

Go to FSX Settings and see which is the default sound device, then you can change it. Regards.

SirTommy, Keep in mind that Graphics Cards send sound to monitors through their Ports (HDMI or DP), they are sound devices like speakers, s i have set as communication device my Monitor Speakers (connected with HDMI). I can hear ATC commands from the monitor. Check your windows sound properties for playback/Communication devices to see if everything is correct. Regards.