Olympic260

[12MAY18] First Cockpit Video Preview of the PMDG 747-8

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, raflucgr said:

Actually, you cannot open any window in the flightdeck on either the -400 or the -8. If I am not mistaken, there are already some additional animations in the VC compared to previous products. Off the top of my head, the escape hatch and the sun blinds.

The Valu-Jet DC-9 that went down in the Florida Everglades had a cockpit/cabin that immediately filled up with smoke due to improperly stored Oxygen Canisters in the cargo hold.  The co-pilot, initials RH was a close friend of our family.  Sadly, no one on call sign Critter 592 survived but the last sound heard on the cockpit recorder was someone cracking the cockpit window in an attempt to clear enough of the smoke to see the instruments.

So, while it might have had value in this instance in another Universe, sadly the fire spread so fast that there wasn't anything to be done regardless of being able to crack the cockpit windows.  They dug that plane out of 5 feet of submerged muck but since went down vertically there wasn't much to recover bigger than a coffee can.

It was such a horrible event they changed the name of the entire airline to ATA.  The CVR recording used to be online but these things are not posted anymore due to respect for the families. 

Mark Trainer

On 5/13/2018 at 6:51 AM, MarkW said:

Am I the only one having trouble getting excited about the 8?  I have the 400 and love it but the 8 with its very limited list of real world operators (only Lufthansa, Air China and Korean with orders for Cathay in the pax space and then only cargo for the rest.....none of whom have actually taken a delivery btw) is just not doing it for me.  I am sure its great but where will I fly it?  I tend to like to fly either current or history real world routes and operators and none of these would be of interest really....except maybe UPS once they take delivery.  I just can't see myself purchasing this expansion based on its very limited real world use.

ever thought CLX cargolux flights??