Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

[12MAY18] First Cockpit Video Preview of the PMDG 747-8

On 5/22/2018 at 3:18 PM, DavidP said:

Take your pick of destination. It's a sim. With respect I don't understand why anyone needs to be bound by synchronising the route/airframe.

hum, weird, i didn't say that.. on the contrary, im on your side on this.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, Captain Kevin said:

Always thought they'd run out of space first before they maxed out on weight.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Think of your car for example. If you load in palettes of paper you will max out the allowed weight faster than you'll run out of space.

13 hours ago, Farlis said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Think of your car for example. If you load in palettes of paper you will max out the allowed weight faster than you'll run out of space.

I guess it depends on how much said pallets of paper weigh. I don't know about you, but I'd most likely only be able to fit one pallet on board my car, and even then, the stack wouldn't be that high. I don't know how much that stack of paper would weigh, but I'd be surprised if it hit 1,100 pounds. And if that stack of paper plus the one pallet doesn't hit 1,100 pounds, that goes back to my point that I'd run out of space before I get to the maximum allowed weight. Remember, this is UPS we're talking about here. Chances are a lot of packages won't be that heavy.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

2 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

I guess it depends on how much said pallets of paper weigh. I don't know about you, but I'd most likely only be able to fit one pallet on board my car, and even then, the stack wouldn't be that high. I don't know how much that stack of paper would weigh, but I'd be surprised if it hit 1,100 pounds. And if that stack of paper plus the one pallet doesn't hit 1,100 pounds, that goes back to my point that I'd run out of space before I get to the maximum allowed weight. Remember, this is UPS we're talking about here. Chances are a lot of packages won't be that heavy.

Cubing out before they max out sounds reasonable; however, the B744 flights of theirs that I've followed around the Pacific (KSDF-PHNL-YSSY-VHHH-PANC-KSDF) on Flightaware indicate an initial cruise that while not at MZFW they certainly are carrying a substantial payload.  I suspect that there is a lot of JIT hardware being shipped by manufacturers in addition to iPhones and paper.

The C-5 is one aircraft I'm aware of that does tend to max out before it cubes out.  I'm not a loadmaster, but I had folks working for me that did plan combat communications loads for Desert Storm (stuff like big heavy satellite terminals, communications centers, etc.) and I saw this happen in the few C5 loads we had (most of our 43 loads were B744 CRAF aircraft).  I heard that Lockheed built the original with a vertical stabilizer that was only as big as it had to be for the engines of the time, and now to hang larger or more powerful engines the airframe would require substantial modification... too much it seems.

Dan Downs KCRP

12 hours ago, downscc said:

...  I heard that Lockheed built the original with a vertical stabilizer that was only as big as it had to be for the engines of the time, and now to hang larger or more powerful engines the airframe would require substantial modification... too much it seems.

Nice theory, but unlikely to be true. If it were, you would expect the tail of the 737 to have grown a great deal more then it has, given that its engines have more then doubled in power. 

4 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

Nice theory, but unlikely to be true. If it were, you would expect the tail of the 737 to have grown a great deal more then it has, given that its engines have more then doubled in power. 

Or the vertical stabilizer was oversized... also, the 737 engines are much close to longitudinal axis than the four engines on the C5 where the engine out moments are much greater.... I'll stick to what I read in AW&ST even if it was decades ago.

Dan Downs KCRP

...what are we even talking about at this point...? I'm lost.

Edited by scandinavian13
  • Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

...what are we even talking about at this point...? I'm lost.

Yearh - me too... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Just now, redsonssi said:

When will you be able to see the new news?

On Saturday when someone (presumably) streams Rob's presentation, or shortly afterwards when the FS news outlets put out press packs etc. It'll be midnight here when Rob's presenting but I'll be looking for some Twitch streams etc.

Hello,

Just wondering will we be able to get an assumed temperature for reduced thrust on the performance page section of the EFB?

Well it's officially -8 beta day! Looking forward to getting my hands on this expansion over the coming months.

7 hours ago, BoeingFan88 said:

Hello,

Just wondering will we be able to get an assumed temperature for reduced thrust on the performance page section of the EFB? 

You certainly will. Its not QW... its PMDG and if they provide something like the EFB, it will be properly be filled with all calculation data available for us 🙂 Thats what I call a "PMDG level" of software development  ❤️

• Like 1

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

This is amazing news, what I've always wanted while flying is an EFB with charts and a PDF viewer! PMDG should make this EFB as a stand alone app so we can use this for any aircraft in which we're flying, this would be so handy! There are no currently no working EFBs for P3D. This is a much needed tool that I have always wished to have when flying. I'm glad PMDG has finally stepped up to create this! I am super excited and can't wait to have this in the 777 and 747-4 and NG3 as well! 

I would hope that there would be another way to get our charts for those of us who can't afford or who don't want a subscription service. I totally understand, because it's not worth it for me, because I don't have much time to fly consistently. I fly when I get a chance, so a subscription is not feasible for me. I would like to be able to add in my own charts somehow. I hope PMDG will incude a chart feature for us non-subscribers as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU