Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Ground speed.

Though familiar with how to increase apparent ground speed, am wondering if there's a way to DECREASE it.

Hi,

Hmm from what i remember ground speed is either on the ground or when there is a tail or a head wind.

I am not sure what you mean.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Though familiar with how to increase apparent ground speed, am wondering if there's a way to DECREASE it.

John use SHIFT T to cycle between speed factors 2x 4x 8x 16x and 0, don't remember if that was my key binding or default, you can search for "ground speed" in settings, keyboard.

Alexander Colka

8 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Hi,

Hmm from what i remember ground speed is either on the ground or when there is a tail or a head wind.

I am not sure what you mean.

I was thinking the no-wind ground speed, in a landing situation, appeared to be faster than indicated air speed and wondered if it was adjustable.  I remember FSX had speed values less than 1x.

Edited by olderndirt

never noticed, but it ccant be faster unless you are flying into a headwind, and you would need to compare GPS speed with your IAS.. to busy landing to bother with such details

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

I was thinking the no-wind ground speed, in a landing situation, appeared to be faster than indicated air speed and wondered if it was adjustable.  I remember FSX had speed values less than 1x.

I don't remember the speeds anymore CAS / IAS / TAS / GS  , are u sure there wasn't  a tailwind ? 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I don't recall XP ever having a ground speed (Shift-T) or sim speed (Ctrl-T) that was lower than the default of 0 for normal simulation. Those commands just cycle up through the available faster speeds and then back to 0 (normal). 

As far as I know, the only time XP will actually lower the ground speed from what it should be in a real plane, is when your hardware and settings can't reach at least 20 frames per second. And then it automatically slows the entire simulation so your frame rate doesn't get too choppy. I don't think there is a way to trigger that manually.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that either? It's a simulation of what it looks like to fly a real plane, so there isn't any reason I can think of, for wanting to intentionally slow down the simulation. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

In a no wind situation, the ground speed will rarely be the same as the indicated airspeed.

Assuming the indicated airspeed has no error and is the same as calibrated airspeed, the true airspeed will be a factor of pressure, temperature and humidity. In other words the density altitude.

In theory, the only time that the indicated airspeed will be the same as the true airspeed and the groundspeed is in the ideal standard atmosphere at sea level in perfectly calm conditions.

The fact is that pilots have to accept that the perception of the speed over the ground at a particular airport will vary from day to day and especially from season to season when approaching the airport at the proper indicated airspeed for their aircraft.

This is the reason why high altitude airports require significantly longer runways. On hot days in the summer where my local temps go up to 37C and drive the density altitude to 3000 feet, I have to double check my plan takeoff and landing. 

As a general rule of thumb, the true airspeed increases by 2% for each 1000 feet of density altitude.

• Like 1