Sign in to follow this  
DylanC

Unexpected gnarly weather out of IAD to Heathrow.

I have to say this was the most visceral experience I've ever had within flight simulation.  With the combination of PMDG's 747 v3's "Cockpit Shaking Feature" partnered with the real-time weather generated by ActiveSky, I actually began to sweat during the climb out to cruise.  I knew the weather wasn't the best, but the weather I experienced was completely unexpected.  Pictures do not convey enough of the situation.  I wish I had recorded it.

Normal pushback from A-26 at KIAD.

WsYPmok.jpg

Slight indication that the weather would not be the best as I taxi away from the gate area out to the runway.  But certainly nothing I could not handle...right.

RdXwVhY.jpg

This is where I realized what I got myself into.

SWtLWZ4.jpg

Confirmation that this was going to be a hell of a ride!

OHrNXBd.jpg

Then I further realized my flightplan took me right into the path of the storm.

NdVFIfx.jpg

A view from the outside.

E7B50lf.jpg

What you don't see and what these pictures do not convey are the up drafts, down drafts and turbulence passing through the clouds.  The "Cockpit shaking feature" that PMDG introduced with the new 747, made the ride terrifyingly real.

c6xVHo6.jpg

At this point I realize the worst isn't over and hope the weather tops out below FL350 which is my planned cruise.  I ended up amending my cruise to FL370, which did not help.  By the way, notice that I have the anti-ice system on.  Several ice warnings while going through the clouds.  I must of heard the stall warning twice (fleeting, but still heard it) with the shifting winds.

wMpk2qC.jpg

We got through it and performed a normal cruise across the pond where we were greeted with this great sunrise.

JrmxIWJ.jpg

qWnWgnY.jpg

A bit of cloud cover over London, but a heck of a lot better than when we departed Dulles.  Not sure who was happier to land, me or the plane.

Y061ySw.jpg

pyPxGmJ.jpg

Safely parked at Heathrow.

Cs7npTI.jpg

Edited by DylanC
  • Like 5

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Probably the best screenshots post I have ever seen.  Almost exactly a year ago I flew British Airways 747-400 non-stop out of Sky Harbor when decided to take a trip to Europe.  We only saw some weather on approach into Phoenix but skirted around it and landed with no delay on the return leg.  On the outbound flight we had clear weather just about the entire way, 5000 miles of clear weather, our pilot did not take a polar route but chose a more southerly route to take advantage of winds.  I'd post the flight here but I do not believe it's allowed, I have a .jpg of it

John

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

Probably the best screenshots post I have ever seen.  Almost exactly a year ago I flew British Airways 747-400 non-stop out of Sky Harbor when decided to take a trip to Europe.  We only saw some weather on approach into Phoenix but skirted around it and landed with no delay on the return leg.  On the outbound flight we had clear weather just about the entire way, 5000 miles of clear weather, our pilot did not take a polar route but chose a more southerly route to take advantage of winds.  I'd post the flight here but I do not believe it's allowed, I have a .jpg of it

John

Thanks for your kind words John.  Certainly a treat to fly, erm simulate.  

Although I’ve flown BA domestically in Europe a few times, I’ve never had the pleasure of flying on their heavies at all.  I actually enjoy their mozzarella and tomato sandwiches in coach.  Wonder if they still serve it.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

48 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Although I’ve flown BA domestically in Europe a few times, I’ve never had the pleasure of flying on their heavies at all.  I actually enjoy their mozzarella and tomato sandwiches in coach.  Wonder if they still serve it.

They do, had one on my way home last year, it really hit the spot!

On 5/15/2018 at 5:03 AM, DylanC said:

Unlikel they only sell food in economy now on shorter routes

So unless you paid for the sandwiches,they are likely a thing of the past.

On a side note flying on one of their heavies today!!😀

LHR-YVR

• Upvote 1

Pete Little

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

I love that.  Great shots.

Thanks Erich.

Dylan Charles

2 hours ago, mazelda said:

Unlikel they only sell food in economy now on shorter routes

So unless you paid for the sandwiches,they are likely a thing of the past.

On a side note flying on one of their heavies today!!😀

LHR-YVR

I’m so jealous!  Enjoy Vancouver.  One of my favorite destinations.  So damn expensive now though, but still enjoyable.

Dylan Charles

Yeah there were bad thunderstorms yesterday in DC around 6pm or so.   But looks like you made it out before hand.  

Recently flew into DFW near a thunderstorm with REX Skyforce and ASv4 it looked as real as it can get with big thunderheads and curtain of rain isolated.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png