Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Weather tool advice

Hi

I am looking for some advice on what weather app to buy. I suppose its similar to the one that was initially built in to FSX but then stopped getting updated every 15 minutes. 

Any advice? Something that will give me some real world weather that gets refreshed would be great. 

Thanks! 

Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Sorry, forgot to add. It would be good if it's a tool that I can simply type in an airport code to in order for me to get information from, before I use Simbrief to do the flightplan. 

I understand if this sort of app is going to cost. 

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

I’d say that the most popular and regard as the best would be Active Sky 2016 from HiFi Sim. They also have a forum on Avsim.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

+1

And as it happens they are on sale currently, e.g. at Simmarket - but I guess at other shops too.

Cheers

Frank

I use Active Sky 2016 and pair it with Active Sky Art (ASCA?) which work together so that the appropriate clouds and sky color are loaded for the real world conditions where you are flying. It's a nice combination though the textures are not, IMO, as good as REX Soft Clouds. it is possible to get AS16 to work with REX but I kept having system problems with it and ended up reinstalling and just sticking with AS16 and ASCA. But before you make your final decision, you may want to check out the new weather program provided by REX. It's still in its early stages of release and there have been issues, but REX will fix them I am sure. I have a lot of respect for their products so it might be a good alternative. But either of them will significantly enhance your sim experience, especially as you seem to take flight planning seriously. Either program will load your flight plan and ensure smooth transitions and accurate weather depictions along your route

• Upvote 1

FS Global Real Weather or FSGRW for short. Works great.

nebojsa

I have bought Active Sky - but now the damn weather is great over the UK, where I'm training, lol. It has made the effect in FSX, but I hope it rains today too see if it updates, lol. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Gary McCluskey said:

I have bought Active Sky - but now the damn weather is great over the UK, where I'm training, lol. It has made the effect in FSX, but I hope it rains today too see if it updates, lol. 

Gaz

There is a menu option where you can select particular days from the past. I haven't used it in a long time so am a bit vague on the process but you should be able to figure it out. On those boring CAVU days I often ditch Active Sky and use the weather interface in FSX-SE to create nightmare weather conditions! Stuff that I would have avoided like the plague in the real world becomes lots of fun....

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Gary McCluskey said:

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Another thing you can do is use the Search menu on Active Sky to enter various weather parameters like visibility, wind speed, cloud ceiling, etc and it will come up with a list of airports where the current weather fits those parameters. I often use this to find an airport where the weather is bad and then go and shoot some approaches there just for the challenge! Just now for example when I entered visibility less than 1 mile and cloud ceiling of 200-500ft it came up with no less than 22 airports (all in North America which is not surprising considering the good weather we are having on the other side of the Atlantic at the moment). It seems that there is always some airport somewhere with some challenging weather conditions to make things a bit more interesting!

Bill