Sign in to follow this  
IanHarrison

Resetting Windows10

Due to unknown causes, possibly Windows updates (but not necessarily), I am having major boot issues.

My PC takes 3 or 4 attempts to boot, going through the Windows reset  and diagnose procedure each time until it finally boots if I am lucky.

My query is, I have my P3D v4 on a separate SSD and backed up. If I reset Windows, it will delete all my programs. Do I have to re-install

all P3D programs to get the OS to recognise them or will P3D still run from its own partition?

I fear the answer is not what I want to hear!!

Ian Harrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

First try rolling back to the previous Windows 10 version.

Hold the shift key down when you select Start, Shut Down or Sign Out, Restart.  Your system will start the restart process and then give you options.  Select Reset. then Advanced Options, and one of the options will be to roll back to the Previous Version (before the most recent updates).  That will not cost you any of your data.

I just had to do this this morning.  Windows 10 feature update late yesterday rendered my Chrome almost unusable.  I could not reach any secure sites with Chrome.  Could reach all of them with Edge!

Also, just found this for you to look into...

http://www.ktvn.com/story/38152918/patch-for-april-2018-update-sends-windows-10-into-infinite-boot-loop

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You may want to check all your driver installs? AFAIK Win 10 upgrades tend to re-install a lot of drivers, and sometimes, it wont re-install what you already had on there but just install Win 10 default drivers instead. 

You might just need to re-install a certain driver and it should start working normally again. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I've been having the same problems with my pc consistently restarting after the latest update. I gave in and sent my pc back to the guy who originally built it for me. He reinstalled windows which did solve the restarting problem. Like yourself, i have P3D installed on a separate drive. I finally got my pc back today and was happy to see all of my P3D stuff was still in place on the other drive. But unfortunately, nothing would run, not even simple programs like navigraph charts cloud or even TOPCAT. So I've spent the day uninstalling and then reinstalling everything. I'm guessing it would be a licensing issue.     

Windows 10 Reset has two options, you can reset with all programs or wipe out all programs.  You should google this feature and read what Microsoft has to offer.  I reset my PC last year.... you effectively wipe out everything in the registry and start with a clean empty registry, so programs that may still exist in a SSD or HDD may not work because the registry does not show them installed.

Dan Downs KCRP

IMHO, if you reinstall/reset Windows, the only way to get an uncompromised configuration ( IOW without a whole bunch of question marks as to which add-ons will work or not) is to rebuild completely from the OS on up.

If you do decide to rebuild Rome, make sure to uninstall P3D using the Control Panel -> Programs and Features entry *before* Windows reinstallation so that your P3D license activation is restored on the LM server.  Otherwise, you may have a several day wait working with LM to get your P3D activation working again.  The same is also advisable for any other software with built-in deactivation features, like some PMDG planes, FSDreamteam sceneries etc.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Like I said above, before anything else, roll Windows 10 back to the previous version.  Its easy. If it works it saves a ton of frustration.  I just did it this morning for a different reason! There are instructions all over the web about this recent issue and overcoming it!  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Lots of parts of the program are contained in folders outside the program install (IE users and programdata  appdata) as well as the registry settings so it would require a full reinstall

He obviously can connect with another device so I trust he is using that capability to further research the alternatives available to him. There is much out there about this issue since mid-late April, and how to resolve it.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi

Latest Win 10 updates seems to be causing problems 

Most of the updates installed on my machine but two did not

Tried a couple of times but did a restart as Win 10 appeared to go into a resting state!

One restart was a forced one ie switching computer off and then  on again 

Each time Win 10 told me the 2 updates that had not installed and rolled itself back to the previous version of Win10 with no instructions from me-impressive!

All this did take time but I let the computer/Win 10 work away at its own speed with minimal interference from me

Sounds like there were a couple of dud updates from Microsoft 

I will not allow updates for a few weeks then may be by then they will have fixed it

Notification of a new set of updates with hopefully a “cure” included might be the clue to attempt Updates again

Meanwhile I can keep flying!

Just my thoughts

xxd09

Hi,

I must say how much I am admiring the seemingly infinite patience and vitriolic restraint being demonstrated by Windows 10 users when, quite clearly, updating this operating system successfully without risking breaking something else is akin to participating in a lottery with no guaranteed good outcome. How many hours have been wasted globally by this repeated nonsense, I wonder, and how many of you are starting to dread the appearance of each update? Seems to me that Microsoft are long overdue a wake-up call and/or a hefty kick up the backside.

For some time now operating systems have reached a level of maturity, along with knowledge and programming expertise, to ensure such events do not occur. No cumulative update should be out on general release until Developers (3rd Party) have had sufficient opportunity to check it against the performance and stability of their products. Microsoft needs to build safeguards into Windows 10 to protect the end user from these unnecessary and time-wasting hassles.

Mike

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Hi,

I must say how much I am admiring the seemingly infinite patience and vitriolic restraint being demonstrated by Windows 10 users when, quite clearly, updating this operating system successfully without risking breaking something else is akin to participating in a lottery with no guaranteed good outcome. How many hours have been wasted globally by this repeated nonsense, I wonder, and how many of you are starting to dread the appearance of each update? Seems to me that Microsoft are long overdue a wake-up call and/or a hefty kick up the backside.

For some time now operating systems have reached a level of maturity, along with knowledge and programming expertise, to ensure such events do not occur. No cumulative update should be out on general release until Developers (3rd Party) have had sufficient opportunity to check it against the performance and stability of their products. Microsoft needs to build safeguards into Windows 10 to protect the end user from these unnecessary and time-wasting hassles.

Mike

Mike, I can honestly say I've never had a problem with Win10 - unless you count having to reinstall the Majestic Q400 once after a major update....   Not all reported issues are global, if you catch my drift 😛

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

43 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Mike, I can honestly say I've never had a problem with Win10 - unless you count having to reinstall the Majestic Q400 once after a major update....   Not all reported issues are global, if you catch my drift 😛

Hi Kevin,

That’s good and doubtless there are many who are sharing your experience. I too have enjoyed a stress free experience and I’m still on Windows 7 - there, I’ve said it 😀. Nevertheless there appear to be significant numbers falling foul of these Win 10 updates and reporting their travails as they seek to resolve their post update issues. While accepting that many variables are likely to be at play, I’m assuming, but cannot prove, that very few instances can be attributed solely to user incompetence or ill-informed meddling with designed normal operating system behaviour.

Regards,

Mike

Before doing roll backs etc. untick 'turn off fast startup' in power options under control panel (click on choose what the power button should do). I had the same problem that you are having and this solved it.

Michael A. Jones

signature-light.png