Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

Looking to replace my joystick and need some help

I have been happily using the Saitek X52 joystick and throttle for probably 10 years or so - and it is still working fine . I have noticed that on occasions, I am inadvertently and incorrectly using the twist grip rudder, and thought I might move to a new joystick setup. So I have been looking at various comments as to the pros and cons of other joysticks and throttles on the market. The Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog joystick and throttle seem to always come out top of the pile in many reviews or comparisons - with great build quality - and the price seems to be the own negative identified.

So my quandary - is do I change? and if so what would you recommend. I enjoy flying the PMDG 737, 747, and 777 and also FSLabs A320 (and Aerosofts when available.) I am a total P3D fan., and also like flying military and GA planes to a lesser degree - so I guess an all rounder.

I am being drawn to the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - but at the back of my mind - I am thinking that it has been around for a long time and must be due to be updated soon. does anyone have any inside track on Thrustmaster's roadmap? Similarly, it is a while now since Logitech acquired Saitek - and they must be ready to launch a new product - maybe competing with the high end Warthog?

As you are the guys and gals using joysticks on a regular basis - I would appreciate your honest assessments and comments as to what is currently on the market - and any inside track on joysticks and throttles currently in development. Thank you in advance.

George Westwell

Given the online price drop for the original Warthog HOTAS, it may be due to the potential release of the version designed for the DCS F18:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199973

I used to have a Saitek X65f and it's a good combo throttle and stick but unfortunately Logitech doesn't upgrade the drivers for it anymore. I bought a new Warthog about a year ago and I can only say good things about it. It's solidly built and worth the money.

All I can say, is don’t buy a saitek x-55. Suffers from ghosting, unless you use a powered hub, and even then I still get occasional ghosting on the throttle buttons , so can’t map any controls to buttons on the throttle. Axis are ok though. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I still love my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick... simple, cheap, works great. Bought it a decade or so ago already but it still looks and works as if it is new! And all that without having to download and install drivers (Windows 10). Must have bought it a decade ago...! Of course it may be a bit too simple for you. I have to add I also use Saitek Combat rudder pedals (also without drivers in Windows 10).

And btw if you accidently use the twist grip rudder: why not disable it? Or do you actually use it for rudder? I never liked twist grip rudder: awful idea. I do use that axis for steering (tiller) the Majestic Q400 though.

Edited by Guest

The original Warthog is not exactly known for its reliability. Metal on the outside, plastic on the inside. Check the DCS site and several others for known issues with its plastic gimbal. 

Personally if I was spending Warthog amounts of cash on a stick, I would be looking at Virpil or VKB.

FWIW, for the amount I paid, the CH Fighterstick has been great value for money.

Edit - Of course, if the Warthog is now heavily discounted then it may also be a good option.

Edited by GHarrall